Buyer beware

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Newt

Re: Buyer beware

Post by Newt »

Rabbithoundjb wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:30 pm
I had a buddy that went through countless high dollar dogs from all over. He use to try them with me, not a single one of them would I have fed and he didn't either for long. I remember him calling me exited. he had drove to Kentucky and picked up a dog wanted to cut her loose. She hung with the dogs. I told him to give her a few trips, you know strange dogs, strange people. he carried a couple more times with me. She did about the same. He asked me what I thought, I said she is a pack dog, so so hunt, stayed in pack. she hadn't jumped a rabbit, hadn't gotten any check and had no idea where the front of the chase was. He ask me what I would give for her and being the honest person I am I said she isn't enough dog for me to feed. He didn't run her with me anymore, he could have but he chose not to. He later told me he gave 1000 dollars for her. That was after he gave her away because all she ran for him by herself was a couple foxes. My advice don't spend your money without seeing the dog on the ground unless you know who you're buying from. The most I have ever paid for dog 300 dollars. After all it is just a dog, I could spend that money at the beach or the mountains with the wife, kids and grandkids.

Sounds like some pups that I bought out of New York once. They could run a fox but not a cottontail. They would have a long check and if they found the line it would 100 ft to 100 yds from the point of loss. I killed a few fox and kulled a couple of dogs.
My advice, buy something in the neighborhood, within driving distance. Even though they always sound better when reading those advertisements out of state.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Rabbithoundjb
Hey James that 's the kind of news I love to hear about a dog raised here.
Dan's litter mate sister my Queen dog is really showing out these days.She's quick,accurate and a check dog.Most times now she runs the front on her 3 older kennel mates.
Two of the litter mate males are up in Pa. and Va. and those guys really like them a lot.
Hearing how these males are coming in to their prime makes me seriously think about breeding Fly to one of them.
Thanks for the up-date.
Hey if they're looking good in this heat and dry can't wait for those good running days !!!
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Newt

Post by Newt »

If they can run in this heat and drought you have some super dogs.
According to meteorologists in Knoxville, last week it hadn't rained in 27 days. It still hasn't here.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Dana he fits my dogs perfect. At 1st I didn't think he was going to jump many at all because he was a fast hunter, flashy but since i have started back running the last month or so he is really hunting better in the right places. he gets more than his share of checks and as I have told you before he can drive the track. he is definitely my kind of dog, clean, lean and run to catch.

Newt I haven't bought but 2 grown registered dogs. I just think most are over priced, now I don't begrudge anyone paying big money for dogs. That's there buisness I just don't do it. I have bought registered pups from all over the country since 1992 from high profile dogs. I only kept 2 of all of those pups until they died and I only kept 1 of the 2 grown dogs until she died. I suspect my Dan dog that I bought from Shady Grove will die here. he is making a fine dog.If I bought a grown dog and didn't get a trial with them I would definitly see that dog on the ground and if I was paying 3 or 4 hundred for them i'd want to turn out a deer beagle with them to make sure they where broke.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

If a person is selling a finished dog (especially for big price) I can’t imagine not giving a trial. I’ve sold some broke dogs through the years and I always call back several times over the course of months to see how the dog is performing and to ensure they are completely satisfied. If not, I want the dog back and give a full refund. It boggles my mind that anyone would sell a dog and say when it leaves my property it’s yours, don’t try bringing it back. I understand fickle buyers etc, but if it’s truly a quality dog at fair price they are easy to sell.

If you sell a dog that’s junk and ask too much money for it of course you don’t want it back and will struggle even more to sell it. I can only remember 1 dog I sold come back and I had 2 guys waiting to buy her. I’m glad the guy returned her so someone who would appreciate her ended up with the dog. Absolutely no money to be made selling beagles.....certainly not trying to make enemies in the beagling community trying to make few hundred of a cull dog.

If a dog is not something you would be proud to own nobody else wants to give big money for it. Guys see a dog in their kennel that isn’t performing or needs tons of work. Instead of culling or giving it away they highlight all the good qualities it has, avoid or minimize the faults and sell for triple its worth. Nobody culls junk anymore. Everything is sold. Hard to get a good beagle anymore because of it. Beaglers are ruining the breed
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Selling broke hounds can be a very strange business and one that over 45 years of keeping my own dogs I've tried to stay away from.
The few adult hounds that I have sold over the years have almost always been males.Why? Because I don't care to keep male dogs.There have been a couple litters where I only had males to choose from and really believed in the cross so against my better judgement kept one,started them,trained them up to broke dog/finished dog status and then sold them to someone I knew would do right by the hound and not trade them around.
Been a couple of other male pups that I got because I thought "I've got to have one out of that cross / breeding".Got them up to running dog status,saw they were what I liked,bred to them and then let them go to someone I knew that would appreciate them.
Not a thing in the world wrong with any of those hounds but the first thing guys that don't know me would always ask" what's wrong with that dog?" They just assume that because you've decided to let the dog go that there must be something wrong /defective with them.The only reason they were for sale is because they were males.
I have sold several females over the years; two because they were 13" when their kennel mates were all full 15's and they were just getting pulled too hard by the bigger/footier hounds,one because I was getting out of coon hounds and she was my last tree dog and one because I was offered more money for her than I'd ever been offered for a hound.Those hounds were sold not because there was anything wrong with them and the guys that got them kept them all until they died.
The kicker? Guy that paid big money for that young female? More than a YEAR later and after numerous phone calls bragging on her and a long letter singing her praises as one of the best he ever had [still have the letter 26 years later ] the dog developed a cancerous bone tumor and he had her put down.
That guy proceeded to bad mouth me all over the hound dog world,among dog men we both knew,in the association we belonged to and he told folks that I should rebate him some cash or give him some free pups.It had been over a year since he had bought the dog running in the woods and he had run the fire out of her while he had her. Yet he still felt that I screwed him ! Truth is if he hadn't been such a horse's rear end I probably would have tried to see that he got a pup cause I THOUGHT we'd been friends.
Selling pups is a little different. I'll guarantee that those pups are out of the sire and dam I say they are out of,that the pedigree is accurate, pups have been wormed, shots given and that they are NOT shy acting and you are welcome to come see the parents run. References gladly given.
Adult running / broke dogs are a completely different animal.From what I see and hear about on here I'd just as soon not sell one of mine.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

warddog

Post by warddog »

The truth is how good a dog is, is in the eye of the beholder. No way would I ever pay BIG money for a dog that I had not seen run and really I have never seen a beagle I'd pay $1000.00 for. That is just me as I really have not seen too many big priced beagles that were priced according to their ability and that goes for coon hounds as well. Seen a lot of them with titles that I would not feed both big and small hounds. A dog is just a dog that does what it does and doesn't do what it doesn't do but many see way more than is there or not there. I watched a video of a field trial one day on one of these posts and the dogs and the judges were tromping around and one spectator filming said there's the rabbit no where even close to where the dogs were as they had missed the turn or over ran the squat and the rabbit slipped out the back door behind them.

Newt

Post by Newt »

I learned my lesson about fifteen years ago.
I ran an ad in the Knoxville Sentennel Newspaper "Beagle Pups for sale. Two young men called. One had hunted with his grandpa as a boy and they wanted some beagles for hunting. I sold them two started, 6-7 month old pups for $250.00 each. A few weeks later they called back and wanted another. I sold a litter mate to one guy, Jodie, for $250.00 and Clint, a three month old started pup to the other for $150.
Jodie made the comment, jokingly, that he never thought that he would pay $250.00 for a pup. They hunted those dags all season. They had the hunting fever bad. During the following summer they were at Big Blue Wildlife area running, when the best pup was bitten by a rattle snake and despite spending almost a $1,000 it died. Clint decide he didn't like the last pup that I sold him so he sold him for $400.00. The guy who bought him is now a friend of mine. He sold the dog for $1200 to some guy in North Carolina.
By then, Jodie and Clint were dedicated hunters and set out to purchase some good dogs. They read the beagle boards and soon had visions of champion hounds, tearing up briar patches, continuous non stop races, or until the rabbit is dead. Jodie bought some pups, $200,00 each from a guy in Michigan who owned a Midwest 13" inch champion, and had them shipped in. Ranger Dan X Round Pond bloodline. To be honest, I encouraged them in that direction. I wasn't immune to the hype back then. I've always been interested in seeing how good dogs run and always willing to improve mine.
When the pups were ready, Jodie brought them over to my starting pen. I had about a 1/4 acre pen, with cover, and a San Juan rabbit. They started rather quickly but could never catch that rabbit. They had little nose and would get bored and lay down. I wasn't impressed. Hunting season started when those pups were about a year old. We took them out and they contributed nothing. After being hunted all season they were still worthless. Jodie gave one away as a pet and took the other to the dog pond.
Jodie said, "Roy you are selling your dogs too cheap". No, but there are a lot of salesmen selling reputation, trial hounds for gun dogs. Competing with a rabbit is different from competing with another hound.
There is a difference.

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

A lot of problems is because buyer didn't get to watch the dog runs. I am not pointing finger at any party. I seen great dogs that I liked and maybe other wouldn't like, and they might like something I don't like. Sharing a story I sold a running 4 month old pup to a gentleman. He hunted the pup for 2 month and shot 30 hare in front of her. He called me back he wanted to return her if I will take her back because he saw something in her he didn't like. He claimed he got a pup similar age that is doing much better than the one he got from me. I was shocked because that pup was too good for her age and the only reason I sold her was because she was on the smaller side. Plus I spend a lot of time with the pup so I knew how good she was when I sold her to him. I almost said no but I sold him a good running pup that could circle the rabbit easily. I said I'll take the pup back and refund his money when pup gets back to me. At the same time I also sold a pup to a lady who live close to the area of the gentleman. I called to ask her about the pup she got from me. She said after seeing the pup she got from me run she got rid one of her own pup to him. She said her pup was started but no where near the pup she got from me. The last minute the guy decided to keep the pup he got from me and still claimed that the pup he got from her was doing much better than my. I sold a few running pups every year and every once in a while there is always that one guy not satisfy with a pup. That is why I don't give trial for running pup or dog anymore. I believe to reduce a lot of dispute buyer should go and watch the dog run for a few hour before purchase.

Yang Beagle
Minnesota Beagler

main event`s beagles

Post by main event`s beagles »

I thank you guys for posting on this site. I really enjoy the reading
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S SAMMIE TO ME
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S ROXIE
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S JOE
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO
LP RCH LPBCH BIG CITY'S CREEK
LP RCH LPBCH MAIN EVENT'S KILLA MASON

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

like wise I enjoy, what these folks have to say, although my type gun dogs vary a lots from the Snow shoe hare type hounds.

Lots of knowledge on this web sight, I check it out every day, have pick up lots of good points here, seem to find it very informative.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

sgc

Post by sgc »

It's pretty difficult to go see a dog run in Mississippi when you live in the far north. Sometimes you have to trust one of our brothers in beagling that the dog is as described and if not money will be refunded. It's a shame that we have dog jockey cheaters and crooks in our sport. To say that's what you get for trusting a dog jockey, tough luck, ha ha, isn't right.

bluegrass

Post by bluegrass »

I agree with you Stan...100 percent.
The 1st amendment allows the usual liberal narcissistic "I think.." which is how they start all their sentences.

The second amendment protects us from implementing "I think"

Newt

Post by Newt »

I think folks in Tennessee are apt to own dogs suited for Tennessee more than folks in Michigan. Michigan beaglers are more apt to have beagles suited for Michigan environment and terrain than folks in Tennessee.

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

IN Short Order I will be able to answer that Question? As I now own a Pure Breed Snow, "Run To Catch" pup, his AKC name is D.R. & D.R.'s Spitfire !
Talk about a most impressive Pup, my "Spit" has surely turned out to be something Special !

Rabbit Gun hunting opens here in Ga. this coming Saturday, so my pup at 10 months will be the only pup in my Pack this coming Saturday. From what I have seen he will be just find, when the Shooting begins.

Thanks again Dana.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia