Blowing a hole

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rbinford1

Blowing a hole

Post by rbinford1 »

I have a male , that will stand and blow a hole in the ground, on a loss or starting a track , I'm not sure if it's cause it's so dry here or is it maybe the way he's bred ,Don't have a pedigree on him .Havent had him long , Thought bout shocking him on it , Any Ideals ? Thanks Randy ...

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Blowing a hole

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Without knowing anything about your hound I'd say it probably is how he's bred.
I know how hot and dry it has been and scenting has been very tough but if a hound can smell it enough to open then he ought to be able to move it.
I prefer a hound to keep his mouth shut until he can do something with it.
I wouldn't shock him.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Newt

Post by Newt »

Its in their breeding. That is a trait highly valued in Traditional Brace and a few other formats.
In these conditions, stopping and blowing a hole is a quick way to end the race. In bad conditions a hound needs to move ahead constantly, efficiently staying close to the line, with short checks. There is hardly any air scent and ground scent disappears quickly.

rbinford1

Post by rbinford1 »

Hey Thanks guys . Thought it was the Breeding . Wasn't sure , my other dogs don't do that so its a problem for them ..

sgc

Post by sgc »

Why would you shock him? That won't do anything but stop him from searching or running all together. Whatever you decide to do with him, don't shock him for tonguing on rabbit track! That is just real wrong. Like others said, it's probably somewhere in his breeding. Give him away.