Tail gate hunting

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

spiceoflife

Tail gate hunting

Post by spiceoflife »

I run dogs 3to5 hours aday 4to6 days A week. Now my dogs or trained to handle from the tail gate. So for I have killed 12 rabbits in this old strip mine country. Standing or setting in 30 feet of my truck. I don`t carry my gun I just wait untel the rabbit begens to tire and then Get the old gun out load it lay it on tail gate untel race starts in my derection. Now I pick up the gun and if he breaks out in the open shoot him. The dogs or trained to go hunting without me but stay in 150 yards of me when track is completed they come in for water and to load and move to new area. Now to hunt this way you have to be at least 70 years old and out of shape with A lot of aches and pains to complain about. And have lots and lots of
public hunting available. Good hunting to all of you know matter how you hunt.

LaMarr Rhoades

Post by LaMarr Rhoades »

Sounds like my kind of hunting

Buckeye Bob

Post by Buckeye Bob »

Your my kind of retiree sir,may your chases be long and loud,the rabbits never go to ground and all your aches be forgotten as you swing your gun up.

Bopeye

Post by Bopeye »

I'm half your age, but I'm quite fond of that kind of hunting myself. :cool:
Coyote problems? Can't fix it with western tactics. Here ya go. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/
You can find me and other Prostaff here. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/prostaff

YGD ( BUNNY BUSTER)

Post by YGD ( BUNNY BUSTER) »

SPICE, IN A FEW SHORT YEARS I'LL COME DOWN & JOIN YOU.
WE CAN SIT ON THE TAILGATE & TELL EACH OTHER HOW GOOD WE USED TO BE. MAYBE EVEN SHOOT THE RABBIT IF EITHER OF US CAN RAISE A SHOTGUN. FOR THE PRESENT, YOU GO AHEAD & ENJOY YOURSELF UNTIL I GET THERE. HAVE FUN :lol:
BUNNYBUSTER

redsrule

dgnd

Post by redsrule »

well i rather go with and be with the dogs right now but maybe one day if i cant and that isnt an option i'll do what u do but that will have to be a have to case!to many tailgaters think they have good dogs around here but have back trackers cold trailers as long as they r barking they think there dogs r doin good .. this not to say this is ur situation at all just saying what i have seen about some of these tailgaters around here ....i am a lp judge and love to run with the dogs but at 45 i have to hit a lick here and there on the long runs lol.unless ur out witht the dogs u cnat know what is goin on truthfully!

thornie

Post by thornie »

Redsrule,
I hunt with spice of life, and I welcome you to come and hunt with us. I think you would enjoy sitting on the the tailgate after you had run behind the dogs for an hour. I usually walk behind and watch what the dogs are doing. You can ask anyone about the area we hunt and it doesn't get any better.
To old to cut the mustard, you can always run beagles

backyard beagler

Post by backyard beagler »

I have some uncles that do that and I have run with them a couple of times and what redrules says is true but it doesn't matter because as long as the owner is happy thats all that count.

Bopeye

Post by Bopeye »

I'd set in a recliner and eat M&M's while the dogs ran if I wasn't too lazy to drag the recliner to my truck. :biggrin:
Coyote problems? Can't fix it with western tactics. Here ya go. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/
You can find me and other Prostaff here. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/prostaff

Cannon Hollow Hounds

Post by Cannon Hollow Hounds »

spice, I can only pray that I'm able to do that much at that age. I would say you are a very fortunate man. Keep on runnin' em ;) . Good luck, CHH

spiceoflife

tailgate running

Post by spiceoflife »

I have ran in competetion formats coonhound and beagle UKC,ARHA LP. ARHA PP. and seen A few AKC trials. In the last 50 years of trialing I have held every office in these clubs at present I hold master of hounds lic. bench show lic in both ARHA LP. and UKC .I really feel like I know A good dog and what to expect from A bad one .I defy any one to come run with my dogs and then tell me I have cold trailing .back tracking or babblers,You will find honest mouthed mediam speed dogs that will account for 90 percent of their rabbits, OH yea I am allso president of LP. club at this time .Allso hold seat on the board of A ukc club. So I thank I deserve A little tail gate time, HAVE A GOOD DAY .
Beagling is the spice of life.

Dexterc

sounds great to me

Post by Dexterc »

Sounds like a great way to spend some time out with the dogs running and knowing dogs the way you do, you understand what is happening by the way the hounds are running, barking or on a check, etc.. so I say keep enjoying life like most of us would love to have and keep us posted on those good times, so we 'younguns' will have something to look forward to! May God continue to bless you in your 'spiceoflife' time!
Dexter

Ga. Beagler

Post by Ga. Beagler »

Sir,
I believe I will try to go hunting with you. I am 37, with a fat belly and a broad rearend. I can only hope to make it to your age. You sound like you have some good hounds and that you have a good time going hunting. If you ever need a fat Middle Ga. boy to sit on the tail gate with you, I'd be honored.
Colt
Reynolds, Ga.

YGD ( BUNNY BUSTER)

Post by YGD ( BUNNY BUSTER) »

BOPEYE, I DIDN'T KNOW YOU LIKED M&M'S. :lol:
BUNNYBUSTER

laal

Post by laal »

I do like you Spice, not all the time but most of the time. If I'm looking at a new dog or running a pup I like to watch them a little closer. The best houndsman I ever ran with could tell you what every dog in the pack was doing from just hearing them run. This man was Mr. Glinnes Hamilton do you know him?