COYOTES KILL AGAIN

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kwolf

COYOTES KILL AGAIN

Post by kwolf »

I got a phone call Monday evening from a good friend of mine , he said I'm on my way to the vet , Ruby just got attacked by coyotes. This was a very well known female in the PKC world. Unfortunaly she was tore up too bad and had to have her put down. I had a nice female die as a result of coyotes last spring , I was running with another guy last May when yotes came in and killed his best male. It seems to be a story told more and more in our great sport of beagling. Guys and gals when you drop the tailgate to release your dogs say a little prayer for GOD to keep them safe, and when you load them back up to head home thank HIM for doing so. Be safe out there my friends

Aubrey Holcombe

Re: COYOTES KILL AGAIN

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Hello:

IF YOU ALL DON'T MIND i WANT TO TELL YOU ALL A STORY.
This happen to me a long time ago. I would say about. 1990 there abbots, I was running for the HOTY. in Progressive pack was in December, and I was leading the contest, when the last hunt for the year, was being held in Oklahoma. They ask me where was my bell ? I didn't understand why I need a Bell?

They said if you run in this state, it will Keep the Coyotes away from your hound! Well we did not have any of the them in this state back then. Now today the state is covered UP, WITH THEM, SO I BEEN RUNNING SMALL BELLS ON MY HOUNDS, AND NEVER EXPERIENCE, ANY MORE PROBLEMS !

Might want to give it a try!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

When I lived in New Hampshire I kept a flock of about 25 sheep. I had coyotes come in and kill several lambs. The Fish and Game Dept. told me to put bells on my sheep as that would spook the coyotes and they'd leave the sheep alone.We did and it seemed to work.
When I moved to Tn. in the mid 90's I used to run the beagles at night a lot and ran bells on them to help keep track of them and people suggested it would discourage coyotes from getting after them.
On two different occasions during the daytime I've had my beagles attacked by coyotes WHILE wearing the small copper cow bells. Luckily enough I was close enough both times to run in hollering and shooting in the air to drive them off and just ended up with two dogs that were chewed up but not killed.
Both of these instances were in the Spring.I believe that they had a den close by and that's why they jumped the beagle.Never have had a problem with them at other times of the year.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Newt

Post by Newt »

I've got some pups that I would love to run but I'm cautious/reluctant because I'm afraid the coyotes will get them. I lost one last year and another ran under a roll of woven wire. She wouldn't come out when I called and shocked her, so I went toward her yelping and found her. I didn't know she had been attacked until I saw the blood on my clothes.

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Only had 1 coyote try to sneak in to my dogs and buddy dogs while running in the spring as far as we know.
A big black yote! My buddy thought it was a german shepherd, but I'm like dude, there is nobody around here for miles, when he saw us he took off, but would stop and start coming back ,then take off again, it was like a game. If it was during hunting season 6 shot would have been flying!!!

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Years ago was running with a friend of mine.The dogs were working a hedgerow when I saw what I at first thought was a Grey Fox.More we watched it realized it was a less than 1/2 grown coyote pup.Long story short one of the dogs saw it and we had a sight chase going and all the dogs got sucked in.I went one way and Ted went the other to try and cut them off in this pine thicket.I heard Ted yelling and by the time I got there he had broken up the race and the beagles were slinking around with their tails between their legs knowing they were doing wrong.
As we leashed them up Ted said he'd seen that coyote pup go by and here came the pack running it and he started yelling and grabbing dogs and looked up and there was mom and dad coyote coming in right behind the pack.
I think Spring when they've got pups in the den or just out of the den is when your beagles are at most risk from the coyotes.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Used to run coyote with a few of my beagles. I would post pics on here from time to time. I still have several hounds wth that blood that is willing to take on a coyote
I can honestly say that I've never had a problem