Hounds and Hunting / Better Beagling

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Beagle Huntsman

Hounds and Hunting / Better Beagling

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

I didn’t see a single stud ad for a Midwest or LPH hound in the June issue. Do guys just not like the young lady who bought the magazine, or has the stud dog and puppy business dried up? Perhaps people are advertising elsewhere? Where? Kinda too bad to see a magazine struggle from lack of support, though.

Aubrey Holcombe

Re: Hounds and Hunting / Better Beagling

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

The Beagle Hound, is a young web sight that has a lots of Old men and just about all of us, are Gun Hunters, it owned buy a fellow out West Arkansas. i

It's a bit slow right now, but when the Gun season is here it's getting hot, I l Enjoy, these old fellows lots, check it out..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Beagle Huntsman
I don't have a thing in the world against the young lady that owns the Hounds and Hunting / Better Beagling magazine. Wouldn't know her if she knocked on my door. What I did have against the magazine is that once she took it over it was more than obvious that she had no interest in the segment of beagling I'm interested in.
When Bob and Pearl Baker owned the Better Beagling it was pretty much dedicated to the Large Pack fraternity with a good amount of spill over coverage of the Mid-West trials and hounds. Bob and Pearl attended events as they could and were a part of that fraternity competing and judging.
When they sold the mag. to Ralph and Sarah Harrington even though The Harrington's were not really Large Pack people per se they attended the trials,Sarah took fantastic photos,Ralph judged and he made great efforts to interview beaglers and over all authored some great features / articles.
I submitted articles / stories for both the Baker's and Harrington's from 1995- 2013 and was listed as a contributing field editor.
When the Depreist's took the mag. over I reached out to them. Introduced myself and let them know I was interested in continuing to write if that was something they were interested in continuing to cover that aspect of the sport. Never got a response.
Tom Depreist continued to put out Better Beagling with good content and to his credit did attend some Mid-West and Large Pack events to represent Better Beagling but it was easy to see that more and more content was being added from from associations and events that one had never seen before in B.B. -- more of the Hounds and Hunting type of trials and reporting. Tom himself is a conservative / medium speed beagle competitor / breeder so it was not a surprise when the mag. started to focus on that segment of beagling to the detriment of interest in Mid-West and Large Pack hounds.
When the young lady that currently owns the publications took over, Better Beagling mag. became so thin I could read it with my morning coffee and content was pretty thin also. She also is a follower of the very conservative type beagle and their trials and pretty obvious is not interested or able to get with the other segment of beagling that Better Beagling was such a part of.
When she decided to merge it with Hounds and Hunting for financial reasons I totally understood. Hard to keep printed publications alive in this age of digital everything and social networking.
Once the publication was merged the "section" devoted to Better Beagling was pitiful and half of that was given to ads for U.B.G.F. ,Deep South and other ultra conservative trial ads and kennels advertising those type of hounds.
I hated to see Better Beagling dry up but I have no interest in subscribing to Hounds and Hunting and the type of hounds they are interested in.
For 18 years my subscription was sent to me as a courtesy of the publishers / owners. Now I wouldn't spend the time to read it even for free.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Beagle Huntsman

Dana, I think the reason it is so “pitiful” is because it’s not being supported by the hare or Midwest people. I think she deserves credit for trying to keep a Better Beagling section alive, since a full magazine was no longer feasible. She did more than I would have done. At least it does have growing support from the UGBF and Deep South.

Shady Grove Beagles

Beagle Huntsman
Ya, I know that the Deep South and U.B.G.F. will support her. Hounds and Hunting has been their magazine for years and always will be. The northern Large Pack,Mid West,Mid South and Southern Large Pack are not interested in subscribing to a mag. that is all about that style of hound. Bottom line.
Check out Hark-N Hare and Rabbit Kountry- Northeast Group on Face Book.It's covering the hounds that all of us former Better Beagling subscribers are interested in.
The current Better Beagling section covering that fraternity of beaglers and that type of beagle is not cutting it.

main event`s beagles

Post by main event`s beagles »

i keep buying the subscription and will continue to but i haven't read it in awhile. i get the rabbit hunter as well haven't read it in awhile either, im in the woods everyday but one day i will kick back and read stories. a houndsman is a houndsman to me no matter the style of dog nothing but respect.
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S SAMMIE TO ME
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S ROXIE
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S JOE
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO
LP RCH LPBCH BIG CITY'S CREEK
LP RCH LPBCH MAIN EVENT'S KILLA MASON

Shady Grove Beagles

I'm not knocking the Hounds and Hunting style of hounds. Everybody keeps and feeds whatever it is they like.
But i've got enough going on in my life that i just have no interest in U.B.G.F. and Brace beagles to pay for a subscription based on them........................

main event`s beagles

my post was not a shot at you sorry if you felt that way. i don't mind the fee to support hounds.
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO

Beagle Huntsman

I have always subscribed since the mid-1970s when H&H was the only magazine. Afraid I will miss something, I guess. And there are good articles in every magazine, so it’s more than just the type of hound the magazine promotes. Magazines (for hounds) are a guilty pleasure of mine. I get several. I hate to see our last beagling magazines not being supported, and especially because of Facebook! We just lost our last show beagle magazine. I guess they must be on FB too.

main event`s beagles

facebook is where its at but no real beagle conversation 90 percent of time just a bunch of emojis
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO

main event`s beagles

Shady Grove Beagles wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:41 pm
Beagle Huntsman
Ya, I know that the Deep South and U.B.G.F. will support her. Hounds and Hunting has been their magazine for years and always will be. The northern Large Pack,Mid West,Mid South and Southern Large Pack are not interested in subscribing to a mag. that is all about that style of hound. Bottom line.
Check out Hark-N Hare and Rabbit Kountry- Northeast Group on Face Book.It's covering the hounds that all of us former Better Beagling subscribers are interested in.
The current Better Beagling section covering that fraternity of beaglers and that type of beagle is not cutting it.
looking forward to the interview in the check area :check:
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO

Shady Grove Beagles

main events beagles
Thank you. Was all set to go last night. Had spent several hours going over all my old pedigrees,articles on breeding,etc. only to have it scrubbed at the last minute. Something about Jimmy's computer malfunction. Oh well.....

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

IMHO, the Magazine has an underutilized gold mine, that would bring my return as a reader. Time has long pasted since the roots and history of beagling has been told and refreshed. Many young beaglers have been whelped and even the old would enjoy stories of their Granddaddy's writing in beagling.
Reprint, Reprint, Reprint.... :dance: ... take the light from under the shade before it is smothered... :hammer:

Beagle Huntsman

Patch, I agree there is a lot of good material that could be reprinted, especially from H&H, since it has been around so much longer. I think of Lew Madden’s articles when he told the history of his personal breeding program, or Reno Cole’s story of his Kishwaukee line, or Ernest Peutrell’s articles about working for the big formal packs, as three of my personal favorites. But I have to wonder if today’s young beagler (including the new owner/editor) is really that interested in old history? How many are amassing old magazine collections, for example? They are easy to find on eBay and elsewhere.

Beagle Huntsman

Ike Carrel’s “Astraddle the Line” column alone made the H&H magazine worth the subscription price for a good 40 years, or at least up until he had health issues and sold out to the Slikes. Beagling hasn’t had a person so tuned into everything that was happening, not only with beagles of all types, but with the world in general, since. Such an interesting beagler. I wonder what he would say today.