Hounds and Hunting / Better Beagling

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Bev
Site Admin

Re: Hounds and Hunting / Better Beagling

Post by Bev »

From what I understand, the Ridenhours sold The American Beagler to her a few months ago. I haven't heard if she's still publishing separate issues or if she has merged it into the current HH / BB mags. Anybody know?

When I started The American Beagler it was hard to fit everything into 64 - 80 pages every month, but Facebook wasn't around, nor was easy online access. I do know that ads pay for the magazine. In the old days, those pages and pages of stud ads, dog food and supply ads kept those magazines afloat. In order for any magazine to just break even, it has to be 40% ads. Printing and mailing costs the last year I published it was close to $7,500 per month. That's a lot of ads and $20 renewal checks - you cross your fingers when you go to the post office and hope those checks are in there.

Now that everyone can advertise their hounds and stud dogs online for free (so can dog supply houses) there's not much money coming in to keep one going. Subscriptions alone won't pay for it.

Wasn't it fun when you had 4 or 5 Beagle mags to choose from? I miss those days.

main event`s beagles

Post by main event`s beagles »

great interview looking forward to #2
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S SAMMIE TO ME
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S ROXIE
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S JOE
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO
LP RCH LPBCH BIG CITY'S CREEK
LP RCH LPBCH MAIN EVENT'S KILLA MASON

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

main events beagles
Thank you. Didn't get to cover a lot of stuff. Maybe next time if Jimmy wants to go another round.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

All good things come to an end. Such is the case with the magazine Better Beagling......That being said, I enjoyed The American Beagler Magazine and need to re-up my subscription!

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

Slaux wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:54 pm
All good things come to an end. Such is the case with the magazine Better Beagling......That being said, I enjoyed The American Beagler Magazine and need to re-up my subscription!
From what I understand most who have the subscription didn’t receive their magazine this month.
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Beagle Huntsman wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:03 pm
Dana, I think the reason it is so “pitiful” is because it’s not being supported by the hare or Midwest people. I think she deserves credit for trying to keep a Better Beagling section alive, since a full magazine was no longer feasible. She did more than I would have done. At least it does have growing support from the UGBF and Deep South.
Curious, are you blaming the Hare, Midwest and Midsouth beaglers for the demise of H&H now as well?
Guess the BB crowd was just smarter than you give them credit for.

With this said, I hope the new owner can resurrect both, I'd subscribe again seeing they are already advertising inclusion of all beagling formats instead of just brace and UBGF.
H&H wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:36 pm
My name is John Porter I’m the new owner of H&H publishing. I would like to take this time to invite everyone give us a opportunity to be your beagling magazine. I will publish upcoming trials, results or advertisement. Any format is welcome. I would love to see other formats advertise and send articles. I know there’s been issues with the magazine in the past but I will work hard to bring you a magazine you would enjoy reading. 6017105276 or houndsandhunting@gmail.com. Thank you and we look forward hearing from you.

Beagle Huntsman

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

Swampman:
The former supporters of Better Beagling pulled their support as soon as they heard she was combining the magazines. They didn’t give her a chance to prove she could make something of it. It’s not really what made her time as editor/owner unsuccessful, but it certainly didn’t help. I hope the new owners are more successful at bringing all factions of Beagling together.