spooked pup

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jerwane

spooked pup

Post by jerwane »

Had something a little strange happen today. Been starting young dogs a long time now, but this is a first. Took a six month old and a three year old out. They hung around together for 10-15 minutes looking around. The three year old jumps and opens. The 6 mo old was close by, she tucks her tail and runs to the truck about 50-60 yds away. I waited thinkin g she would come back and I called her. Finally went and got her and walked (no lead) her back to the running dog. She never left my side. She was spooked. Anyone ever experience this? Usually they are curious and stick with the running dog.

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: spooked pup

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Not that surprising to me that she would act that way.
My pups are always raised in a run with their mother in a run right beside them and another of their kennel mates in a run on the other side of them.
My kennel runs are surrounded by a 60' x 60' dog lot. Everyday all my dogs are let out of their runs and spend the day hanging out together - pup included. The pup becomes a totally integrated member of the pack.
The first times I take a 5-6 month old pup out with her kennel mates they ALWAYS take right off from the tailgate with the older dogs and stay with them. They've been with them all their short life so this is their natural reaction.
BUT, when the big dogs jump and leave off in a roar they don't know what is going on or what just happened. They often will come back to me and hang around listening and wondering what their kennel mates are doing as this is a first time experience for them. This may happen that first time or even their second or third time it happens. With the dogs I keep they usually won't take long before they are wanting to be with their pack mates and are staying in there with them for the whole race and start opening.
I don't use starting pens preferring to start them in the wild on wild rabbits. This might make a difference. I can't say.
At 6 months old they are still "babies". Be patient with them.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

jerwane

Re: spooked pup

Post by jerwane »

I do the same as you. They are socialized with one another b-4 going to the wild. I don't use starting pens either. Her litter mate did as expected when I took her out the week b-4. Just never had one to spook from another dog opening.