Dog found 3 dead rabbits in 18” of snow today

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Cro

Dog found 3 dead rabbits in 18” of snow today

Post by Cro »

Ran my mutt this afternoon following a 18” snow storm. He came back with 3 separate dead rabbits within a couple hundred yards. Rabbits were cold to the touch but still limber there didn’t appear to be any obvious signs of damage except for the one he started to eat. There were lots of weasel/mink tracks in the area. I’ve never encountered so many dead rabbits in such a small area does anyone have any ideas? (Cold, predators, disease, scared to death of my mutt?) the rabbits were not warm or bloody on the one he opened up and the dog never opened up even one time for a brief site chase or anything like that.

They were cottontails I was hoping to find a snowshoe hare.

Beagle Huntsman

Re: Dog found 3 dead rabbits in 18” of snow today

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

Mink will sometimes kill and stash, but so many seems unusual. They seem to have an easier time catching rabbits in snow for some reason. Usually bite through the spinal cord at base of neck.

But, are you possibly in a state with the new rabbit hemorrhage virus? (west of Mississippi River)

Cro

Post by Cro »

New england. I haven’t heard of any cases of the hemorrhagic virus or any others around.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I think I read somewhere that one was found in New York with the hemorrhagic disease. Did any of them have bloody noses or mouths? I think I would contact the state DNR as that seems rather weird to be several in that small area. It may not have anything to do with the hemorrhagic disease but maybe something else as that just isn't normal even in the cold and snow. It is an interesting occurrence and I would be concerned about my mutt contacting something from chomping on them.

Cro

Post by Cro »

There was no blood observed coming from the nose or eyes.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Weasel. Often no sign or very minimal sign of blood. They’ll kill seemingly for the fun of it. They’ll decimate a pen of pet or meat rabbits. Wipe out a flock of chickens too in a matter of a few minutes.