I have a question ..........

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

LR Patch

I have a question ..........

Post by LR Patch »

1st I'll say my philosophy is any day in the field is a good day......
But last night we had a good rain with another front coming through tonight. We had 100% humidity with the biometric pressure 30.15 ^ and raising .
seemed like my dogs were having trouble finding a rabbit and even when they did jump one had some issue's running it.
Now their will be those that say it's my dog's ....... maybe so !
I ran in the same place Wednesday ..... hadn't rained in several days but had a heavy fog and the ground was pretty wet ... humidity was around 40% and the biometric pressure was around 29.98 to 30.00- and steady . Rabbits were everywhere and dogs ran almost flawless .

Here's the question does anyone pay attention to the humidity and biometric pressure as to when the running is to better or worse and why ?
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Newt

Re: I have a question ..........

Post by Newt »

I don't. Like you say, I've had bad runs on what I thought should be good days. I've read, bad running on blue sky days. I've seen them run the hair off on blue sky days.

Beagle Huntsman

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

I have never given much thought to it, but my casual observation seems to be my pack has better runs before a front passes than after. I also have seen times when rain the night before should give good running only to be disappointed.

And I agree fog always seems to be good scenting, especially when it also has some drizzle with it. On sunny days, running can be good, but I find cottontails in my area don’t run as long in bright sunshine. If everything out there wanted to eat me, I probably wouldn’t like to be out on those days either!

Scent is a mysterious thing. I dislike sunny, and especially windy days, but sometimes you have no choice but to go when you can. Results can be unpredictable.

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

keep an Eye on Dew Point !!

for years I been watching the Dew Point, if it's low no need to go running the hounds!!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

I don't pay much attention to it. I know a guy though who is a big believer in the barometric pressure. Above 30 and rising is good. If it's falling running is harder.
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

Aubrey Holcombe

I have found that the Dew Point, is the thing to keep an eye on ?

There was a Professor at UGA, in the Wildlife Dept. Dr. Larry Marchinton , did all kinds of study, with these things and came to the facts shows that the Dew Point, was most important, if tracking a rabbit. He owned a pack of fine Gun Dogs.\

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

uga

dr.

prpfessProfes

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Aubrey Holcombe wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:58 pm
I have found that the Dew Point, is the thing to keep an eye on ?

There was a Professor at UGA, in the Wildlife Dept. Dr. Larry Marchinton , did all kinds of study, with these things and came to the facts shows that the Dew Point, was most important, if tracking a rabbit. He owned a pack of fine Gun Dogs.\

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

uga

dr.

How is Daddy Rabbit doing these days? I hope all is well. You still running that red train?

Gene NJ

prpfessProfes

Aubrey Holcombe

Yes Sir, still puffing right along.. my old Red Train, seem to have lots more Pee and Vinegar !! OLD PRETTY BOY FLOYD, AND THE OLD RED TRAIN! Was always up to several days in and row, and back then the old man (myself) was much younger, so we could handle long hard days. Now my age has caught up with me, have to hunt off a Kubota RTV 900 and half days..

Still love to hear them run, seldom shoot the rabbits. I train lots of pups for local Gun Hunters and keep a pack, for myself when the deer hunters get out of the woods.
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:

Aubrey Holcombe

Getting ready for the 2022 Gun Season !!

This old is for the Birds, can't get about like ,, once did a few years ago. Have a pack of good Gun dog. Keep them in shape in my enclosure, but nothing like runing them on the Outside, just have to keep an eye on these Deer shooters!! They Good old boys, but don't trust them when it comes to my Hounds?

Will not be long now ,, we can let the Gun Dog out.

Keep LOOKING UP !!

d.r.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>> RABBIT TRACKS EVER WHERE~~~~ :check: :dance: