Question to Stud Dog Advertisers

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Gus

Question to Stud Dog Advertisers

Post by Gus »

Wonder why stud dog advertisers don't make a video of their stud hound in action and provide it at a nominal fee. The customer could pay the cost of the tape and shipping to compensate for production. It would not tell all but would indicate the general speed, how the dog works a check, and use of mouth. It would be cheaper for the customer than driving just to see the hound run.

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

that would work under "ideal" conditions. but, ever try to tape a dog as it goes thru the briars, or over fences and creeks. its hard enough to even get a shot of the dog here and there, much less getting a full run on video. also i wouldnt think everyone has access to a camcorder. all you would get anyway is the "perfect" runs. you would never see that "ocassional" deer run or when they decide to eat grass for an hour etc, etc. best bet is still to see it live and more than one time. most all dogs can look good on any given day, but watch them 4 or 5 days in a row and then evalute then.

kjohns

Post by kjohns »

Eat grass for an hour? Does that really happen? :D

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

a few years back i had a beautiful 13" branko female that would just smoke a rabbit, but if she felt like it she would just follow me along and eat grass while i listened to the other dogs. didnt happen all the time, maybe 1 out of 8 times, but that was way too much for me. thats why if you want to buy something, i always want to try them for a couple weeks or so. that way i can see how "consistant" they are. i want to know that everytime (95% at least) my dogs go out, that they will perform as they should.

Drive-On

video / stud dogs

Post by Drive-On »

I was interested in breeding to Field Champion dog that had placed in Large Pack ,and SPO.
This dog even finished in another registry. I got good reports from people who also watched the dog hunt , but I realy wanted to see this dog in field myself. but the dog was two states away, So I ask the owner of the stud dog if I could see a video of the dog hunting solo. this was no problem and I recieved the tape, From this tape I got to see this dog run solo, I got to see how this dog handled his check work, how the dog searched on his own with out pack mates,and I seen alot of marked lines. when the video was made they had no snow, and frozen sod, and it was very very windy, the stud dog geared down and handled the conditions good .
My point of telling you all this is .That a video tape can go along way in helping to answering those questions you may have about the stud dog. It worked for me :!: and the pups I have are now 6 months and being gunned over and I couldnt be more please with the cross. :lol:

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

Buying a dog from only watching a video??????? Why not just buy the dog on the persons word and forget about the video???? Videos are only as good as the person taping them and can be edited to show what someones wants them too.
I have a video camera but wouldnt expect anyone to buy a dog from any video tape.......Just my opinion!
Crane Creek Kennels

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Stony, I guarantee you'd take a pup from that male - sight unseen, video or not. I bought a pup out of him sight unseen - went back and got his brother, too. ;)

Don if you still have the video, I'd love to see it or pay to have a copy made.

Darrin G

Post by Darrin G »

I would still like to see someone advertise heavily a great male at public stud that was NOT a field champion in whatever registry, that was a SUPER GUNDOG that reproduced likewise! Now talk about a reverse trend! Not all great hounds are trialed. Many are kept by hardcore rabbit hunters that could care less about what the trialing world thinks. I think such an advertised hound would do better than most folks realize.

DarrinG / Mt. Mitchell Kennels

Psalms 107:2

Drive-On

Post by Drive-On »

The q&a boards are very difficult to communicate what im trying to talk about. so maybe its just me :lol:
I believe video tapes can be helpful in putting the pieces of the puzzle toghether on making a dicission on breeding to a dog. I would never make it or recommend it in making it the only piece of info on making a decission ,but it can go along way in helping :) now its time to get ready to go hunting :D

roygu

Stud video

Post by roygu »

The reason I mentioned the video is because I see so many new beaglers on the boards that are not aware of the many types of beagles that are popular today. It would be hard to disguise a Brace trial beagle as a LPH or Midwest SPO Hound on a video.
Most professionals who are offering their stud to the public are proud of the hounds accomplishments and have no reason to promote the hound as something they are not. Most owners want their studs bred to bitches of similar speed and ability so the pups will be successful in the same trial format. It makes no sense promoting a "run to catch hound" to deep South SPO.
If a promoter was using a doctored video, it wouldn't take long, with all the bulletin boards available, for the word to get around.