ANYONE EVER USE A 28 GUAGE TO RABBIT HUNT WITH?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jon cornett

ANYONE EVER USE A 28 GUAGE TO RABBIT HUNT WITH?

Post by jon cornett »

BORROWED A REMINGTON 1100 28 GUAGE OFF MY COUSING LAST WEEK. TOOK IT HUNTING TODAY AND THE DOGS JUMPED 7 AND I BAGGED THREE, THE ONLY THREE THAT WOULD RUN FOR US. ANYWAY I LOVE THIS GUN, I MADE A LONG SHOT, SHORT SHOT AND MEDIUM SHOT WITH IT. WAS THREE FOR THREE. THE RABBITS WERENT SHOT UP EITHER. I USED HIGH BRASS 6 SHOT. JUST WONDERED IF ANYONE ELSE HAS OR IS USING ONE. THIS GUN HAS A MODIFIED BARREL. THANKS FOR ANY INPUT. PS IM REALLY THINKING ABOUT GETTING ME ONE JUST TO RABBIT HUNT WITH.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Jon, when I bought my Franchi 20 ga, Ralph bought a Franchi 28 ga. He liked it a lot. Like the 20 ga, it's a very light gun - nice to carry in the field.

dachswalker

28 gauge

Post by dachswalker »

My first gun was a Winchester single shot 28 gauge with full choke which was an ideal squirrel gun and okay for rabbits if they were not close. This worked out good as we always hunted with dogs and one could choose where and when they wanted to shoot the game. Now that I hunt slower dogs I usually use a 10/22 ruger rifle or a T/C with 410 barrel if working all experienced dogs. 28 gauge shells are sometimes difficult to find on the shelf and a little higher than 20 gauge.

Bsbowhunter

Before you buy....

Post by Bsbowhunter »

Jon, without going into the "my brand/make/model" is the best, I would pass on that you might want to swing by some sporting good stores in your area and check for amno availability. 28 gauge tends to be hard to find. Regardless of the brand, it is a good lightweight shotgun. My "words of wisdom" is simple. Buy a respectible but cheap one as you are going to beat it up some while hunting.

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

i use a 28ga most of the time. with a modified choke it is great on rabbits and even pheasnt. hard to go wrong with a remington express. shells arent hard to find in my area. they run $8 to $10 a box.

Rock Bottom

Post by Rock Bottom »

I also use a Remingtom 1100 28 ga. with an imp.cyl. It works great. Took 2 rabbits today with it. $8 a box for shells isn't too bad. I only use 2 boxes of shells a year to take 40-45 rabbits.

jon cornett

Post by jon cornett »

I FOUND SHELLS HERE AT A LOCAL GUNSTORE FOR 13 DOLLARS A BOX FOR HIGH BRASS. NOW IVE HEARD THERE HARD TO FIND BUT SOUNDS LIKE SOME OF YOU GUYS AND GALS CAN FIND THEM EASILY AND CHEAPER. I USUALLY BUY FOUR BOXES OF SHELLS (100) FOR THE SEASON. UNLESS I RUN OUT CAUSED BY MISSING TOO MANY RUNNING BUNNYS. I JUST LIKED THE WAY IT HANDLED, LIGHTWEIGHT, GOOD RANGE AND VERY LIGHT. MIGHT JUST BE THE PERFECT RABBIT GUAGE, ALTHOUGH I STILL LIKE MY MOSSBERG 20 GAUGE PUMP. I HAVENT USED A 410 SO DONT KNOW ABOUT THEM.

Rabt Fver

28 Gauge

Post by Rabt Fver »

I use a Wingmaster 28 with mod cyl, I love hunting with this gun. I hunt with 8 other guys and they all bought 28s. Are shells are quite pricey around here, so I bought a mec reloader works great and i can miss all i want and not go broke on ammo. also use it on birds. :lol:

bowhunter59

cheaper

Post by bowhunter59 »

dang yall need to come to tenn to get ur shells i seen them for 4$ a box 28 guage now i'm not sure if it was high brass or not i didnt look at them since i dont have a 28 but i seen the shell price at ray judges in winchester tn
god is so good!

snowshoehareguide

28 guage

Post by snowshoehareguide »

ive never used a 28 guage , im not sure ive ever seen a box of 28 guage shells for sale here . used to use a 410 sometimes. kind of bugged me to pay more for 410 shells then 12 or 20 guage . i have a 16 guage i really like but same thing a little tougher to get shells. not a big problem just have to plan ahead and pay a little extra. is the 28 guage a lot lighter. ? i just hunt hare not cottontail use a 12 guage most the time. i have seen my hunters really wack them with a 20 guage. i lucked into one and will try it soon just ordered a modified tube for it , was a womans gun for turkeys came with scope and full choke tube. its 870 pump not a lot lighter than my 12 guage . to me that would be big reason to go with lighter guage is to carry a lighter gun . hey saw a real nice rem 11 87 yesterday . factory camo what a beauty , wouldnt fire too cold gummed up or something . drive 6-7 hours to come hunt hare and gun wont fire. not good . especally when bunny just kind of dancing around laughing . after that did get gun working but by now hare is so confident nobody can hit him . its not so bad when they get away but wish they wouldnt gloat about it . pete

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

my 870 28 ga express is a lot lighter than a 12 870. about 6 pounds compared to 9 pounds. i got a mod. choke and at 40 yards it will pepper something the size of a couch cushin. very deadly on rabbits.

Ray

Post by Ray »

28 guage is a great gun for rabbits. As far a avalability, go to any of the gun and knife shows, they will have it. Also I am friends with the sporting goods manager at my local wal mart. He does not have any problem ordering it for me. The only problem is I have to order a case at a time, but I have two boys that use them also. When it is dove season, belive me a case does not last as long as you would wish. Of course that just could be the way I shoot. (or maybe my barrel is bent, ya thats the answer).

Ed

28 guage for hare

Post by Ed »

I use a 28 guage in the fall for hare. But in the winter I like to use the 20ga. Don't know why. One thing is price of the 28ga. Just checked the last box I bought. #6, high brass, Winchester Express, $12.99 per box I consider this high priced. I seem to miss alot in the winter and would be too expensive for an old retired guy like me.