TRAINING ENCLOSURES

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

reddog

TRAINING ENCLOSURES

Post by reddog »

I am planning on building a small training pen. What type of wire is best and where can I get it. Will 2"x4" wire work. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

DOUBLE D

pen

Post by DOUBLE D »

chicken wire works well

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

A grown cottontail CAN go through 2"X4" welded wire - I witnessed it myself. The rule of thumb is: If he can get his head though, his body will follow. As to whether he WOULD under normal circumstances, I don't know. I have been told that you can use the 2" X 4" as long as you put an 18" high strip of chicken wire along the bottom but I have never tried that. However, I would not go to the expense without seeing it in action first. In my pen, I used Red Brand 1 1/2 inch mesh and it works fine for adults but the very young rabbits can escape IF THEY WANT TO. That is where good habitat and supplying their needs comes in. I paid $80 per 150 ft. roll for the galvanized - the plastic-coated is quite a bit more but will last about twice as long. It think the 2"X2" twisted (non-climbing "dog wire") would do fine but I have not seen any in several years. "Chicken wire" will work but is easily broken into by preditors (unless "backed" by heavier wire - which puts you back to square one on cost) and will rust through quickly if it is not dipped in something like roof coating. Good luck!

ant

Post by ant »

whats the mimium size that a pen should be built?
i am only looking to set out 3-6 rabbits.
anthony