tight mouth dog

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beagleboy2

tight mouth dog

Post by beagleboy2 »

I was wondering how long most of you give a tight mouth dog to come out of it or will they always be tight?

Joe West

Post by Joe West »

I was speaking with a lady only yesterday who happened to breed hundreds of beagles in her life time. She recouonted the events of a hound who at age one and a half had not yet ran a rabbit even though he was taken out regularly. Her husband wanted to give him away as a pet but she wouldn't have it. She kept taking him to the running grounds and at age two he opend up on a rabbit and ran it. From that point on he never looked back and turned out to be a top hound. You don't give the age of your hound nor his experiance but perhaos the events of this hound will help guide you.

Skip

Post by Skip »

Depending on the breeding of the hound, I would give him til about 3 years old. If you use the hound primarily for hunting, I don't mind them tight, better than mouthy. Can hurt you at a trial though. Good luck!

beagleboy2

Post by beagleboy2 »

The pup is 1 and is out of Ace in the Hole and Turbo breeding,but this is the 3rd pup that is very tight .I'm guessing this is a trait passed down ,but from which ?Has anyone else that has pups of this cross seen this trait before?

Leon Kelly

Pup from same cross?

Post by Leon Kelly »

I have one directly out of Turbo and an Ace in the hole bitch that gives plenty of mouth. She actually is borderline on too much mouth. She is not mouthy, but she strikes much faster than my other hounds, and has the rabbit. At 1st I thought she would be mouthy but, she has not failed to produce a rabbit and do it pretty quick. But, this is the only one I have owned out of this cross so she may be a fluke??

Hunter

TIGHT MOUTH

Post by Hunter »

I have a female that is tight mouth ...not good for trial but I like it in the woods when she opens you know that it is good to go. ?Also, when she opens it is a rabbit. Would be nice to have open a little earlier so I would not have to 2nd guess those pups. But other than that who really cares as long as the rabbit makes it back to get used for target practice. LOL , Paul

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

BB2, By all means, if he has good hunt and jump ability and is running the rabbit to suit you but his only fault is not enough mouth, keep him. I let the hardest hunting hound I ever had go because he was too tight. I had been told to watch him when he's around 3 and he would loosen up. It took until he was 4 in this case, but I messed up bad. The post that said to wait until he's 3 is right on. If he's a good hound except for this, and is showing you rabbits to the gun, don't let "trialing fever" cause you to get rid of what may be a great one. Like the others said, I prefer less than more in mouth, because as they age most loosen up anyway. VERY rarely does a hound ever tighten up. By the way, if you want to get rid of the ol' cull, let me know!!!Ha.

bob huffman

mouth

Post by bob huffman »

I have a Turbo bitch by a Farlap dam and she is not tight mouth. She is like Mr Kellys dog and has a super cold nose. If you will keep this dog on a leash while the other dogs strike and run she might open more. Act a little excited when they strike and when she barks, sweet talk her and pet her. Do this everytime she barks until she is barking good. Do this for about a minute and don't let her go until she is barking good and the other dogs are tracking good. Then cut her loose. Do each time you take her out 3 or 4 times. This will make a lot of them open more. Don't scold her for barking in the kennel for a while if she is a barker. Good luck!

beagleboy2

Post by beagleboy2 »

Thanks for the advice,I will hold on to her and try your methods I have high hopes for her and besides she was one of Turbos last litters.
Thanks Again,Mark

Big Dog

tight mouth dog

Post by Big Dog »

Hello Bob,
Welcome aboard, looking forward to you sharing some knowledge on this board.

Big Dog
Black and Tans, Blue Ticks, and a few others bringing smoke

S.R. Patch

Post by S.R. Patch »

The strength or amount of the scent will determine the amount of mouth our hounds give, ie. more scent=more mouth.
A young hound, still needing to gain confidence in himself and the experience of digesting enough rabbit track, will seem tight on mouth until this is gained. Soloing 3X to every 1 time packed, will help bring this out quicker. Sometimes the young hound will give way to the older more dominate experienced hound and will seem tight on mouth.
The hound that has the brains to be sure he has a workable line before he addvertises it to the other hounds, is the hound we like.
Barking in the check area is something we cannot stand & will fool many into thinking they have better nosed hounds, when infact the honest mouth hound has shutup and is searching to regain the line. The only true way to know is to check the hounds often, and see for yourself who is doing it right
If he shows level headedness in his work & method, the mouth will come with experience, for most. Remember they are all individuals & develop at their own rate.
Best of Luck...Patch

PS. Welcome to the pack, Bob.