About how much fence.....

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BlueJack

About how much fence.....

Post by BlueJack »

would it take to make a nice training/running enclosure. I have access to more than enough land and a mother-in-law that would most likely let me build it. I was thinking around 5 acres but maybe a little larger if the cost weren't too great. Not wanting a place to hunt just turn my dogs loose more often and know they will be safe and also maybe get another pup or two down the line. All I know for sure that I would want is a gate large enough for a small tractor and bush hog for cutting some small strips and keeping a nice foodplot available. Just a rough estimate on supplies is what I'm looking for, the labor wil be all me. Also if this were to be done would I be better off setting all my post, let it grow up real good and let rabbits move in on their own and then fence it in or complete it and try and trap rabbits to fill it. Thanks. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.
Jeff Driver

Bglenut

Post by Bglenut »

Well to start - we fenced in 6 acres and didn't have any rabbits in before we fenced it in. So I would let your place grow up to let wild rabbits move into you area, if you have plenty of rabbit in that part of the land you want to fence in. It's a lot easier to have rabbits on the land than trap them and put them on the land.

It took us 13 rolls of the 4ft high and 1ft apron wire that was 150 ft long. Our post or 12ft apart. ( can't remember how many post it took)

If you are going to run in it all the time the bigger the better. We fenced in out just for a puppy starting pen.

To start pups all you really need is a 2 to 3 acre pen with plenty of rabbit just to get the pup to run a track. Then move the pup to a bigger pen or in the wild to finish trianing the pup.

Wish you luck,

Briarcreek Kennel Supplies
Briarcreek Beagles :lol: :D :lol:
David N. Riley II - Bglenut

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

BlueJack, just a reminder that if you can keep your enclosure in the shape of a square, you will have more room to run inside with the amount of rolls you use.

BlueJack

Post by BlueJack »

Thanks for the input guys. Bglenut, Its not something that I plan on running in all the time, I just thought it would be a nice safe place to turn out with major worries. I would still hunt over them as much as possible and I love to get in the thickets with'em too much to stay confined all the time. See, I go down my mother-in-laws house quite a bit and thought that maybe when me and my wife were visiting I could turn them loose while there. In the summer I also mow her yard either in the morning or late in the afternoon. This way they could have their fun while I can get some work done and hopefully not worry about them too much. Also, where I want to build it is very close to our fishing pond and we camp out a lot in the summer and thought it would also be good to let them run at night when it gets hot and keep them contained without having to drive around all night trying to find them, plus from the pond I could enjoy the fishing as well as hearing them dogs in action. I just thought this may be a convenient way to keep them in shape and tuned up all while I tend to the chores around the farm and in-laws house. It may just be a dream though.
Jeff Driver

NC Beagler

Post by NC Beagler »

BlueJack - one thing to keep in mind....dogs can learn some bad habits running in a pen - especially a smaller pen. For example, they can learn to swing instead of staying on the track. Also, for a gundog it is important for them to hunt WITH the hunter and if left in a pen while you're off working or fishing they may just start doing their own thing when you try taking them hunting.

BlueJack

Post by BlueJack »

Dangit NC Beagler, I knew I couldn't kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I should have known that when this little thought was dreamed up that it was just that...a dream. All I needed was one negative to convince me to save my money for something else and keep working my dogs "personally". I guess my coonhounds will have to share time come summer. Thanks for the slap back to reality. I got enough bad habits (so says the wife) without them darn dogs getting any too. LOL Later
Jeff Driver