Beagles for Raccoon

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

LC

Beagles for Raccoon

Post by LC »

I've heard and read of beaglers cross training for birds but could a beagle tree Raccoons ? How would you go about training it ?

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

When I was younger my Grandfather had two Beagles that ran loose around the farm. On nights that we went Coonhunting the Beagles would always seem to find us no matter where we went. They would run with the coonhounds but wouldnt never tree. One day our coonhound died and I didnt have the money to buy another good hound so I decided to try out the Beagles. They sure enough could run a coon and do it right, but they would never tree and you had to stay close to them because when the coon would go up they would just mill around the base of the tree. If the coon went in the ground or a brush pile all you had to do was wait and they would eventually get him killed and bring him out for you. I coonhunted with these two Beagles for about a year and finially broke down and bought a Coonhound. They just never could get the treeing part down for some reason.
Crane Creek Kennels

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

Aaron--Goforth said you still got beagles that can do that! :shock:

tnbeagleman

Post by tnbeagleman »

hey stoney where those beagles long legged and redticked LOL!!

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

Blackdirt,
If my Beagles that I have now did run a coon, I would have to say that I guess I would rather have them run one of those than what Goforth said your dogs run..... I hear its hard to make those deer and coyotes climb!!!! :shock:

TN,
No they were not redticked and long-legged. They were tri-color.... Not sure if they had papers or not but they would run a rabbit in the daytime and a coon at night. I never caught them running anything else in the day or night but I never did figure out why they wouldnt run a rabbit at night. Ive probably got some pictures around somewhere that we took of them in action.
Crane Creek Kennels

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

I've had beagles in the past that would dig groundhogs out and kill them but they came home cut up something awful. I figure ther is a reason why coons are hunted with BIG hounds. I have seen Jack Russel crosses and terriers kill coons, but most beagles are more nerve than sense. It wouldn't take a lot for a big boar to put an eye out, and if you coon hunt enough, eventually they will find one on the ground that is spoiling for some action. I bet those coons that were killed by the beagles in the brushpiles were in all-out war! I have seen coon hounds that were experienced that could kill a coon in an instant. I'm sure that beagles with experience did do much the same, but getting the experience would be the problem. I know of one beagle that would tree (squirrel), but it took a lot of work.

blackdirt beagles

aaron-- the only deer i see are the ones on the dinner plate :roll: . as for coyote, i see them in terry's pics and nowhere else :cool: . be nice, you dont wanna get banned do ya :twisted: ?

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

LOL ...You brought it up.....Just returning the favor! What are friends for?
Crane Creek Kennels

Post by Guest »

hey--you hear from terry yet? i still havent.

blackdirt beagles

aaro--above post was me :camo:

wigwala

beagles for coons

Post by wigwala »

I had a male beagle that would run possums. He killed 7 last year while we were rabbit hunting. He would rather run a possum than anything.

Colorado_Beagler

Post by Colorado_Beagler »

LC,
Years ago I had Beagles that would run and tree coon. They didn't tree as good as most coon hounds, but did stay treed long enough for me to get to them.

We trained them to tree by putting live trapped coon and wild house cats up small trees where the dogs could see them. We then encouraged the treeing. A couple of the dogs really took to treeing and others didn't bark as much, but would stay around.

We also ran grey fox and bobcats with them. We hunted with a spotlight the last two or three hours before daylight looking for a fox or bobcat. If we saw a coon, we would just remember the spot and go on looking. If we didn't find a fox or bobcat by daylight, we would return to where we saw the coon and run it.

I think most Beagles could be trained to run coon. Some would be less likely to tree than others.

Larry
Life is Short
Eat Dessert First

tnbeagleman

Post by tnbeagleman »

Hey DRamey !! If you would feed those dogs they wouldn't have to go dig groundhogs out of the holes!!!

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

TN, try it! Ain't nothin' like a little groundhog grease to give 'em the HIGH PRO GLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!