BRRRRRRRRRR! (Shiver)

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Bev
Site Admin

BRRRRRRRRRR! (Shiver)

Post by Bev »

Our low overnight in Indpls., was 8 deg. with wind chills well below zero. Reports of running and hunting in this area: no rabbits up, or dogs couldn't smell 'em, or very short (25 yds) runs. We will dip down to 6 degrees tonight (Sat/Sun) don't know about wind chill. No snow on ground right now.

What's been the temps in your area and how has your running/hunting been? Gotta be better than here. :eyes:

Post by Guest »

HEY BEV, IT IS COLD DOWN HERE DAM BEAVER :lol: AS WELL! GOT DOWN IN THE TEENS LAST NIGHT AND IT SHOULD BE PRETTY MUCH THE SAME TONIGHT. HAVE NOT HAD A CHANCE TO GO HUNTING THE PAST COUPLE OF DAY, BUT I'M GOING TO TRY IT TOMM. AFTERNOON. MAYBE IT WILL AT LEAST BE ABOVE FREEZING! DID YOU EVER GET MY CHECK, BECAUSE I'VE YET TO GET MY JAN. MAGAZINE? :cry: WELL I'LL SEE YOU SOON!

JOSH WRIGHT
HAMMER DOWN BEAGLES
"FAST & RECKLESS"

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

bev, im gonna get out sunday morn and see how it goes. we got the same temps here. hope it is better for next week, i got guys coming to run on mon, tues, and wed. hate to put on a bad show.

bowhunter59

cold

Post by bowhunter59 »

man its cold here too dogs aint doin much or at least ididnt see much out of several today at trail we jumped the rabbit aND THEY COULDNT DO ANY THING WITH IT!
god is so good!

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Hey Josh, I got it just the other day. I'm collecting a few sample requests and will send yours out in a batch Monday. Sorry for the delay, but it helps if I have a handful to mail couple of times a week rather than one or two every day. :biggrin:

Brian, We're having some of your company on Wednesday. I'm hoping for at least better than average running conditions, but not expecting it. Probably won't be able to run a rabbit in a 55-gallon drum. :oops:

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

yeah bev, thats how it usually goes. when you go by yourself the dogs look great, and when you want to show them, they look like knotheads :roll:

Stone Cold Beagles

cold

Post by Stone Cold Beagles »

Bev

After I got off the phone with you I put two dogs and a pup on the ground, ran for two hours and then I froze out. Well I really shouldn't say running, there was allot of grub work going on and it definitly took a pair of seasoned vet to get the job done. Just had to reply after hearing everyone else talk about how good their running has been for the last 2 months and me not being able to hardly find a rabbit around here.

James Carman

Running conditions

Post by James Carman »

I got to run Wednesday 3 hours and the hounds ran pretty well, but nothing spectacular. I saw plenty of rabbits, but only ran two of them. I ran again on Thursday for 2 hours. Running was much better. I had one of those big running rabbits. The dogs poled him for two hours before switching off in a honeysuckle patch. It turned into hunt and peck running here. It was no fun after what I had been watching. So, I went home. I ran by myself both days. It was warm both days. Saturday was another matter. I ran with two young men from our club. It was cold. The ground never thawed all day. We ran derbies for about three hours. The running was steady, but with lots of checks. We put down two old hounds for about 1 1/2 hours. The running picked up. We had the sneakingest, cuttingest, smartest rabbit I have seen in years. The area where we were running was fairly open and we go to see all of the tricks this rabbit knew to pull. He laid down doubles, z's, w's, jumped ditches, and squatted on them. He squatted one time too many. After an hour and a half Bushbuster's Billy and Country Pride Bo-Bo caught him and we went home. By the way, these two hounds are those old slow Gundog Brace hounds.

Glomski

Post by Glomski »

Julian, Mike Kooplan, and I ran for 4 hours yesterday (Saturday) and they pounded almost none stop. Saw about 10 rabbits.
Matt Glomski

Don L

Bad tracking in Northern Indiana

Post by Don L »

Bev , two hours north of you running was the same we have 1'' of old snow that thawed and refroze into freeze tried ice, it was 4 deg. in early A.M when it warmed up to a cozy 16 deg. on saturday afternoon. The old dogs could track only a short distance after a jump. I often wonder how other hunters tracking conditions are in the area.and if there are dogs out there that can handle this weather. The Q&A is good for communicating tracking conditions. :idea:

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Matt, Ran 4 hours yesterday? Pounded almost non-stop? Musta been a deer, LOL! (You saw 10 rabbits, but you didn't say they were running them.) :biggrin: Josh Lee stopped by the house for a while yesterday - he'd been over to Amtrak and the running was terrible. Ralph worked until noon and was going to go over and run Rowdy for a while, but after Josh's report, he decided to stay home and help me give shots and worms dogs instead. Just messed around the kennel a bit.

Don, Ralph went to Mulberry today so we'll see what kind of running they have. It was supposed to get down to 6 degrees by this morning.

Taitor

Cold

Post by Taitor »

Temps here made it up to 22 degrees. The running got better as the day went on. First thing in the morning the dogs took one a couple hudred yards and lost it. Three more runs like this till the dogs adjusted to the cold. In the afternoon they were burning them bunnies with enormous runs out of hearing distance a couple of times. Hope it warms up before next weekend.

Post by Guest »

THANKS BEV!

JOSH WRIGHT
HAMMER DOWN BEAGLES
"FAST & RECKLESS"

BobC

Glad to see these posts

Post by BobC »

What a relief to see these posts. I'm new to beageling and I got my first hound on Jan 1. WE went out yesterday morning and it was abot 12 degrees here in Northern Kentucky. My hound started 2 rabbits and couldnt do anything with them either. He would run them for about 10 minutes and then come back to me. I thought he was defective there for a minute. lol We did better on Friday. He ran two, one holed up in a pile of junk in a fence line and he couldn't get it to move. The second is in my fridge.
Born to Hunt Forced to Work

Post by Guest »

Just saying what happened.. went out at noon and stopped around 4 pm.