Gun shy...please help

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Dogdreamer

Gun shy...please help

Post by Dogdreamer »

:cry:

A little history...My dad bought a female beagle from a friend at work 6 years ago. She is a beautiful, high $$, well-bred tricolor who will run for weeks at a time when left out (there is a woods right next to my dads house). I think she would be a great dog, her nose is always to the ground and she has actually caught a few rabbits. I wanted to hunt her but the boy who owned her threw firecrackers at her when he got drunk. My dad is worried she won't come back if I fire a gun around her. Also, her socialization skills are horrible. I am about the only person she will come to and take affection from. I am worried that she might be ruined, but it is a shame that she has no one to share her hunts with. I was wondering how I could get her back on track if it is possible.
Johnny B

Old Meg she was a gypsy;
And liv'd upon the moors:
Her bed it was the brown heath turf,
And her house was out of doors.
--Keats

Taitor

Gun shy

Post by Taitor »

Try hunting some other dogs around her. See if she might relate them. Let them run a couple rabbits and see if she will join. I wouldn't shoot around her until her social skills improve first. Each time you run take something that makes noise, and slowly increase volume till you get up to a gun. Alot of work but that is my suggestion. Also check T.A.B issues. I think there might be an upcoming article you might be interested in.

high ridge joe

Post by high ridge joe »

ouch...dad might just be right.....sounds like pet material....if you can catch her....good luck....been there...but 6 years is a long time....

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys,

May be a waste of time but I hate to see her penned. I'll take the time to try for a while. Thanks for the quick response and the suggestions

Johnny

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Johnny, no need for her to sit in the pen. The more time you spend with her, the closer she will bond with you. Been there, done that. You may never get to shoot rabbits in front of her, but you'd sure have a nice pup trainer if she runs without a lot of faults. Every kennel can use a good older hound. :bigsmile: