Need a dog...

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Dogdreamer

Need a dog...

Post by Dogdreamer »

Hi all, its me again. I am new to the board, so I'll be posting a lot from the start. I am currently looking for a dog and was wondering if I could get some advice. I have four children and the dog will be staying inside, but she will be hunted a lot.

First off, does the sex matter when the dog solo-hunts. I don't currently have a hunting buddy, so it will just be me and the dog. Secondly, I am looking at a dog from Salem Kennel in southern Indiana. Does anyone have knowledge of their dogs? They seem to come from great lines but, I would like a happy customer before I spend the money. Any help would be appreciated.
Also, I am in northern Indiana. Hunting buddy wanted. I am kind of new to beagle hunting (former coon hunter) and would appreciate a veteran teacher. Will make an apt pupil. :)
Johnny B

Old Meg she was a gypsy;
And liv'd upon the moors:
Her bed it was the brown heath turf,
And her house was out of doors.
--Keats

beaglebill

Post by beaglebill »

IM IN SOUTH IND BUT NEVER HEARD OF SALEM KENNEL. THEN AGAIN THEY MAY HAVE GREAT DOGS..WHAT YOU TRYING TO BUY FROM THEM?

Post by Guest »

I am looking at beagles, which is all that this kennel breeds. They are located in Evansville. I know that they have breeders dogs with lines from Branko(NE indiana), Rising Sun(maryland), Boggy holler, etc. They seem to be great lines but I don't think the breeder has proven theirself yet. Haven't found their name on the FCH or BCH in the trials around here. Maybe I am being too picky, but I have seen my share of lovable junk dogs. I would rather pay the money and get a lovable, producing dog. Most of the time the safest bet is a tried breeder. I just needed to know about this particular one.

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

My wife and I actually went through their website a few weeks ago and thought the kennel was a joke. It's been updated since then and looks worse in some ways and better in others. For starters, it raises a red flag when one of their prominent ads is "rare colors available." No responsible breeder of any breed specializes in "rare" colors, and that seems to be what they claim all of their breeding dogs are. They also have a link for "click here to see puppies available for adoption." These dogs aren't there for ADOPTION, like from a shelter or non-profit rescue...they are their own puppies for sale. There is also an ad for an upcoming litter that "can produce reds, khakis, lemons, blues, lavenders, and chocolates. If you are wanting a show dog or one who looks like a show dog...this is your litter!" I can assure you that neither of these dogs look like AKC show dogs, neither dog is advertised as being out of show lines (just field champs), and that "rare colors" do nothing in the AKC show ring (I will not accept their claim that red-and-white beagles are rare, either!) . There is also an ad for an upcoming litter from "Milla." Here's their ad: "These pups will have an increadible bloodline. Milla weights 17 lbs. We are waiting on Milla's pedigree at this time." Exactly how can someone claim an" incredible bloodline" in pups when you don't even know the mother's bloodline?

There are a few dogs on the site with legit show pedigrees. I know one of the breeders in the bloodlines and will ask her what she knows. There is also a statement that they have "over 40 beagles just recently rescued from a puppy mill in Indiana." There is no other info about them on the site, but I can ask people I know in rescue to see if they know anything about this kennel or this 40-dog rescue. I'll post any updates I may get.

IMO, I'd spend my money elsewhere on a more proven kennel than these hobby breeders.

dawgydawg67

Post by dawgydawg67 »

Save your money and heartache and buy from a GOOD breeder. Someone that has good reviews and that everyone knows
Unless your the lead dog the view never changes

mark harmon

Post by mark harmon »

I live in evansville and have for 36 years and had beagles for 30 years and i have never heard of salem kennels.

New York Hillbilly

need a dog

Post by New York Hillbilly »

I had to point out the following error in a recent post. That is Rising Sun kennel is in Ohio and not in Maryland as mentioned in the post. Middletown, Ohio to be exact is the home of Paul Webb and his Rising Sun reds. Paul has been breeding "his" line of hounds for a long time and knows what he is doing to be sure. As far as I know his is the only Rising Sun Kennel although he has given me permission "unsolicited" to use the same name on my hounds. My kennel is almost entirely Rising Sun and my stud dog (Blazer) is brother and litter mate to Paul's stud Rocket. I speak to Paul regularly and pick his brain prior to any breeding. While I may outcross with my buddies hounds on occassion , my plan is to primarily continue to keep my Rising Sun line purely Rising Sun through line breeding. This means I will need to sometimes travel to Paul's to get it a little further away but within the same family. A trip I willingly take and always enjoy!! By the way there should be a couple of litters of Rising Sun puppies available around March, I think. Call Paul to be sure and they go quick so I would not sit on my hands if I wanted one. Hope I was of some help.

Peace,
NYH
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

Dogdreamer

Post by Dogdreamer »

First of all, Hillbilly, let Paul know I am sorry about the information botch. :D Secondly, thank you all for the quick response. Information well recieved. I had my doubts about Salems kennel but wasn't sure why. Now I know. I think poor kennels using the names, like Rising Sun's Red Rocket, make it difficult for starting dog hunters like me to make an educated decision. This board is by far the best source of information I have found. I really wanted experienced hunters for tips and advice, I have found it here. Please don't stop. I am also reading past posts for information, so that God willing, I won't ask questions you have already answered.

Just so that you all know, I think I have found a dog. More info to follow , don't want to give away my source yet. :cool: The dog is from a reliable breeder/owner and I can't wait. Happy hunting.
Johnny B

Old Meg she was a gypsy;
And liv'd upon the moors:
Her bed it was the brown heath turf,
And her house was out of doors.
--Keats