self feeders

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Richard

self feeders

Post by Richard »

How many of you beaglers use self feeders? I have used them for years with good success on different breeds of dogs.

NC Beagler

Post by NC Beagler »

I have a couple self feeders, but I don't typically use them. The exception is when I go out of town. The reasons I don't always use them is: (1) I have at least one female that will over eat and can get overweight in no time. (2) Feeding the dogs on a daily basis develops and grows that bond between the master and the dogs. Plus it gives me a reason to go visit my dogs twice a day! Just my thoughts. :D

Bsbowhunter

Self Feeders

Post by Bsbowhunter »

Richard, I use them as well. Initially when I made the switch (about two years ago) I had some dogs gain too much weight. For those, I purposely left the feeder empty for a day or two and eventually they learned to ration themselves. I really like the idea of having a self feeder in the colder months as I never have to worry about the dogs getting enough food to produce the energy required to stay warm. Lately, I've been experiencing with different protein/fat levels in their food as a season change to help maintain their weight. In the fall, my issue is keeping weight on them, as after a run or two, they come in with ribs showing.