Starting a litter of pups

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

back40

Starting a litter of pups

Post by back40 »

Curious as to how many of you keep an entire litter until they are well started? I've always ran a pup or two together until they've opened up and run the rabbit a short distance, then it's a lot of solo time intermixed with packwork until they are about a year old. But I was wondering if anyone's ever started an entire litter by running them together everytime out? If so, how did it work out? My guess would be that each individual in the litter most likely wouldn't reach it's full potential but might it promote better packwork since they had been running together from the start?

TonyT

Post by TonyT »

Back 40 I was talking to a feller down here sunday that raised my female and he said he started that litter together and out of the 7 he said five were good dogsthe other two he said started they just never come on like the rest and the one I've got has plenty of hunt and you can sic heron anything from a briar patch to a beer can if she thinks a rabbit has been there i'm pleased with her . he told me he started them on a flashlight at night out walking with them he shine the rabbit and get them a sihgt chase and just go from there must be a good system he most always has good hard hunting beagles