signs that the dog is to cold at night

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ant

signs that the dog is to cold at night

Post by ant »

what are some signs that a dog in a outside kennel is to cold?

last night i had a low of 6 deg's. thats cold!

i have the dog house filled with ceder shavings,front of his box faceing east. well fed-------but it's gets cold---

anthony

New York Hillbilly

cold

Post by New York Hillbilly »

Ant,
I have a small kennel building that house the boxes where the hounds sleep. They come from the outside into a little entry room, turn and go into the sleeping portion of their box. For the winter monthes I use straw as bedding material. Straw is hallow and holds air which warms and becomes a good heat sink. They dig themselves little burrows and snug in. I always kennel two or three together. This helps them stay warm also as they cozy up close to each other. If it is going to get extremely cold as it has been lately I break open a couple bales of straw inside the building and pile it over the boxes. It is a pain to clean up latter but it really makes a nice warm "staw stack". When I feed and water the hounds let the out of the boxes and into the inside of the building. This gives them a chance to walk around a bit and I can see how they are holding up. As the eat, I lay in the pile of straw and wait for them to finish. I'm usually toasty in the straw pile. When they are done they come running and jump all over me in the straw and we rough house a little to get the blood flowing. They like this as much as the meal! Remember to up the amount of food and water as the cold places higher demands on their bodies in it's attempt to keep warm. With it as cold as it has been I have close to doubled the amount of feedings at times. I cut back as conditions change.
Lets hope this ends soon as I like my hounds really think this "STINKS". Thinking of warmer sunnier days!!
Stay warm,
NYH
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

D.Gross

col dogs

Post by D.Gross »

NY_ Here in NW Indiana we have some pretty cold nights. The last 4-5 yrs.have been very mild. This year has been pretty cold-beow zero. I, like the other post use cedar shavings but when it gets real cold I also use staw for the same purpose, dogs will burrow in. I have had boxes with an off set entrance too. Just a piese of plywood that slides in 6" behind front of box with hole cut on opposite side. When I build a box I line floor and sides with 1/4" styrofoam and cover that with 1/4' plywood. Have box 1/2' off ground and a few vent holes along top of sides. I also put a piece of tarp or an old towel over entrance if I don't have an off set. I think many boxes are too large. Needs to be just large enough for dogs to stand and lay down. Single dog sized for one dog. Have had them out in minus 20 degrees. When I stick my hand in box---nice and toastie. Lots of water and heavier on a good quality food-------When dog comes out of box feel them. If their belly and under their legs are warm and they have alot of pep I think they're fine. th th th that's all folks!!!!!!!!