dog thief(almost got mine)

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beaglecrazy-scott

dog thief(almost got mine)

Post by beaglecrazy-scott »

I went running here in columbus ohio yesterday. i took my 2 females. 1 is an 8 month old rising sun female and 1 is an 22 month old branko female. anyway they were running the fur off of this rabbit even though the wind was gusting. theY were about 35 minutes into the chase when i heard someone over on this set of railroad tracks, so i swung around tto where my dogs were. then i see 3 guys sneaking through the thicket straight for my dogs, ( i was over there by myself) , but i hollered STEVE. they stopped and then i said you aint steve and if you take another step towards my dogs i will shoot you and leave you lay. ALL 3 OF YA...SO THEY just turned around and never said a word and went back to the tracks. Then i yelled steve meet me in the middle, just to make them think i was not alone. i do not carry a weapon with me when running but i had to do something to stop them. i do carry a nice knife that i would of used if they would of forced the issue. SO I GOT MY DOGS AND GOT OUT OF THERE. I HATE PEOPLE THAT WOULD EVEN THINK OF STEALING SOMEONES DOG....JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE...WATCH YOUR HOUNDS CLOSE AND GOOD LUCK....SCOTT

Huntin54

Post by Huntin54 »

I never thoght about that happening i will have to keep an eye on my dogs.

Emery

Post by Emery »

Did you get their license plate or a make and model of what they were driving? Also where are you? That would alert the locals in your area to beware of dog thiefs...

Glad you got your dogs!
Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

MIKE

DOG NAPPERS

Post by MIKE »

SCOTT, I'M SORRY YOU LEFT YOUR GUN HOME.
MIKE

beaglecrazy-scott

Post by beaglecrazy-scott »

I AM IN COLUMBUS OHIO, I THINK THEY WERE JUST WALKING DOWN THE TRACKS AND MIGHT OF SAW AN OPERTUNITY....SCOTT

Cannon Hollow Hounds

Post by Cannon Hollow Hounds »

Good thinking on your part there Scott...I always carry a gun when out in the wild.You never know what type of scroungy critter your gonna run into.And hey, they could have been armed too. Then what would a person do if he couldn't defend himself ? good luck... CHH

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

Good thinking on your part! Glad you and your Beagles escaped not much worse for the wear...'cept maybe a few extra miles on the ole heart :shock:
I totally agree with Mike.....Too bad you didn't have your gun!!
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

matts

Post by matts »

id start carring a pistol,,,how is the rs female doin?

weedshaker

Post by weedshaker »

Scott, Me and my brother were hunting one day around where we live.We were having good run when out of nowhere comes a truck down the road,the rabbit was head straight for it.Luck would have it they loose it before they get to the road.The tuck was still coming when all of a sudden it stops,out jumps the driver and then his buddy.As soon as me and my brother seen what was about to happen I went running through briars and weeds. I went to where the truck was and asked them what they were trying to do,the driver said his dog box came open and his dog got out and he was trying to catch it. When I looked at the dog box it was latched,he said my dogs tried to bite him.The reason he almost got bit is he was tring to catch my dogs along with his.

Thanks,

weedshaker
Last edited by weedshaker on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

B.Trull

dogs

Post by B.Trull »

Along the lines of my other post and this post. I was givin a ticket by a Indiana consevation officer for being in possession of a firearm while running my hounds, though I was 10 feet from my truck in the middle of the road, and in possesion of a valid permit. Now I like my hounds also ,but your going to carry a firearm while running your hounds, sounds like hunting to me :?: I would use extreme caution carrying a firearm while running . Use of deadly force to prevent livestock from being stolen ???? No way. I would be leery of pulling a weapon on 3 strangers while I was alone under those circumstances. I like my hounds also, but risking death or a long imprisonment is definately not worth it, unless my life, or life of other persons is at risk.

DarrinG

Re: dogs

Post by DarrinG »

B.Trull wrote:Along the lines of my other post and this post. I was givin a ticket by a Indiana consevation officer for being in possession of a firearm while running my hounds, though I was 10 feet from my truck in the middle of the road, and in possesion of a valid permit. Now I like my hounds also ,but your going to carry a firearm while running your hounds, sounds like hunting to me :?: I would use extreme caution carrying a firearm while running . Use of deadly force to prevent livestock from being stolen ???? No way. I would be leery of pulling a weapon on 3 strangers while I was alone under those circumstances. I like my hounds also, but risking death or a long imprisonment is definately not worth it, unless my life, or life of other persons is at risk.
I dont know Indiana's laws, but I do know here, if you are found in possession of a firearm while out running dogs during off-season, you will get a ticket for hunting out of season! I dont necessarily agree with that interpretation of the law, and would never ticket someone for it myself, but I'd bet a Wildlife Officer here will if he finds a handgun on you while running dogs this time of year (thats where an ankle holster and an S&W Airweight is *nice*)... ;) . I also agree with Trull, shooting someone unarmed over a dog is insane. I dont care how good your hound is, it's not worth a prison sentence! I dont think many (if any other than TX?) have laws where you can use deadly force to stop a theif from stealing your property. :shock:
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

MrJ

Post by MrJ »

Here in Va I got ticketed for hunting out of season years back also becuase I was carrying a 22 pocket pistol While running my dogs. Figured I was OK because of concealed carry permit but no. As far as pulling the trigger on someone trying to steal or hurt my dogs have crossed that road before on a hunting trip to SC where A landowner came throught he woods with his 12 ga and threatened to shoot my dogs not on his land but the hunting clubs land that I was hunting. He said my Best dog had killed his ducks the week before. I explained that that was imposible as I had just rode down from VA the day before but that didn't matter to him as he started to draw a bead on my dog. He didn't shoot as as he drew his bead I told him as I raised my 20ga on him pull the trigger on the dog and I pull the trigger on you. Looking back it would have been a bad decision to shoot the man but like many of you many of my dogs are like family and in the heat of the moment I would have burnt him up. He left and called the game warden who came and talked to me and after coberation from my party of what went on left and I never saw him again. Also had a guy lock one of my dogs up on his farm and told me he'd shoot me if I came on his land as I was trespassing. Called the cops on the cell with him standing there and he left me emediatly with my dog returning 5 minutes later.

MIKE

DOG THIEVES

Post by MIKE »

I DIDN'T SAY SHOOT THEM BUT COME CLOSE ENOUGH TO LEAVE THEM NO DOUBT.
MIKE

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

Well, some gasoline and a match will do the same as a gun and harder to prove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

If someone shot my dog or stole it, I would have no problem sneaking through the woods at night and lighting him up.

Of course, more sensitive ways would be sugar in the gas tank, tacks in the driveway, ect.....

Flares work good if thrown in the backseat as well. Seen this done and what a pretty sight it is. :D
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

CAINCUTTER

Brother almost lost his hounds:

Post by CAINCUTTER »

My brother likes to tell a story about the Delta Dog Snatchers. Now he has been known to stretch or embellish a story just a bit each time he tells it. One version of this story is that he was hunting along the edge of the Mississippi Delta. I am not sure what the dogs were after, but they ended up some distance ahead of him. When he came out of the woods into a large plowed field, he saw his dogs being loaded into the back of a car. The car was in front of an old shotgun house about ¼ mile across the field. Realizing his dogs were about to be gone without a trace, he turned and ran back thru the woods to his truck. He took off down the dirt road at top speed. When he reached the house the car and his dogs were gone. As he rolled out of the truck with his snake-shooting pistol strapped to his side, an older woman stepped to the door. My brother, who I know can be hot headed, demanded to know who was in the car and where did they go. The woman did not hesitate to tell him everything he wanted to know. He knew the neighborhood she described. He took the back roads and drove at top speed trying to beat the dog snatchers home. When he turned down the street where they lived, the car was already parked in front of a rundown house. Several tall lanky young men were on the porch and several more were in the yard. He climbed out of the truck with his gun strapped to his side. He announced that he was there to get the dogs that they had just picked up in the Delta. They told him they did not have any dogs. With that said, he proceeded to a small shed behind the house. He pulled the door open and low and behold there was his four dogs along with three others. He recognized one of the three and knew the man it belonged to. He loaded his dogs and the other three into his dog box. He told this bunch of dog snatchers that they would do well to stay out of the Delta or any other place he may choose to hunt. He returned one dog to the man he knew and he advertised and was able to find the true owner of one of the others.
CAINCUTTER: Rabbit Hunter Ex-Straw-D-Nair
Saucier Ms. Home Of Some Of The South's Finest Lemon and White and Red and White Beagles.
http://www.geocities.com/pawpawskennels/