Dogs Running funny

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Jake

Dogs Running funny

Post by Jake »

It is cold here around 0-15 above and when I drive down my stone road the dust flys. There is alittle snow left but it is hard enough to drive a truck on and the drifts don't crush any. Those are the conditions.

The dogs will jump a rabbit and run it maybe 20 feet and its gone I can see the rabbit running but the dogs can't smell it. Its been like this for almost a month now. Its not just my dogs either its everybodys dogs I have talked to around 15 guys and everybody is ready to sell them all and start over! Even proven snow dogs the real cold weather artist look like junk aint seen nothin like it.

I think it is just to cold and dry.

Any thoughts?
Jake

TomMN

Post by TomMN »

Here in Minnesota it's been like that all winter. We always get the cold but we normaly get fresh snow once in a while which helps. This year we can't buy a good snowfall. Right now where I hunt there is about an inch of hard snow that is about a month old. When you drive down the dirt roads (we still have lots of dirt roads here, my buddy from IN gives us a hard time about that) there is a cloud of dust behind you. We have also been getting plenty of wind.
I almost hate to say it but my dogs have been running pretty good in spite of the conditions. Haven't had a day yet when they could not run good enough to shoot rabbits. Maybe they just don't know any better. They are like me and think 5 below and sunny is a great day to be out hunting.

stanimals2

Post by stanimals2 »

I am in south eastern Ohio and my dogs havent ran crap for weeks! I was really getting POed but in there defense the last 3 times out I havent seen a fresh track or fresh scat any where. I saw one bed in a protected area but the tracks leaving there had been snowed in several times so it was old. Ive had enough of this crap I starting to dream of my favorite fishin hole. and my favorite fishin hole is not thru 10inches of ice either :lol: , Stan

D.Gross

cold

Post by D.Gross »

It's been cold here in NW Indiana too. Supposed to get up in the 20's today, I think that's a high for the last 3 weeks. Been bouncing on zero at night for quite a while which should be normal for us.Been spoiled the last 6 or so years as we have had no cold. For 50 years I have seen times when my dogs just couldn't run. I have a 12 year old bitch that's about as good as I've had and can remember one morning when temp was in teens we kicked up 7 rabbits and the longest chase was about 20 yds. She just couldn't smell em. I think she was as frustrated as I was!
Another day!!!!!!!