how cold is to cold

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

stanimals2

how cold is to cold

Post by stanimals2 »

I ask this on another board, whats your take? Its supposed to get down around zero the next couple of nights with day time wind chills in the -15 to -20 degree range. I would like to bring my dogs in at night BUT they would have to go back out in the morning and stay out till I get back in the evening, seems to me this would be harder on them than just leaving them out. they have plenty of fresh straw they face away from the wind and they have flaps over the doors. Should I worry? I dont have a kennel YET so they are on chains and I cant double them up. I thought about putting them in the garage(unheated)in my large wire transport kennel with lots of straw and covering it with a tarp to keep the heat in this way I could double them but not sure if its worth it. the kennel is one of the bigger ones, something like 3x3x3 think they might loose more heat than single in there boxes. Any feed back? thanks, Stan

Joe West

Post by Joe West »

Won't take you long to throw a small box together with ply wood to put in your garage and let them loose in the garage. That way they can get in the box and keep each other warm and be out of the draft. At twenty below we put them in heated whelping house. At low temps they keep each other warm till it gets that cold.