Ecollar use advice needed

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

HNTDAD

Ecollar use advice needed

Post by HNTDAD »

What are yall's feeling about the intensity level and duration I should use in deer breaking a 6 month old male? I talked to a coon hunter friend of mine yesterday and he said "don't fool with the lower settings, turn it all the way up and let him have it for the full 10 seconds." The instructions and video says to turn it up just high enough to get a reaction from the dog. What do you think?

Post by Guest »

I would use just enough to make him stop the run. Start with a 2 level and go up is what I do. A dog this young should be easy to break off deer. :)

bowhunter59

C

Post by bowhunter59 »

LOW SETTING AND COMMAnd no if that dont work holler again go to next level this all happens fast on a deer chase so be readysoon as he looks at u go the opther way towards the truck like ur getting away from the deer remember he sees u as the alpha male !if he never looks and that dont work knochk him down!good luck hope first opiton works!
god is so good!

Phillip Smith

Post by Phillip Smith »

Start out low and go higher if nessacery.

HNTDAD

Post by HNTDAD »

Thanks everyone. Seems like you're all in agreement so that's what I'll do. Start out low and work up. He'll have it on in the morning when we go out in this cold weather. Brrrrr. At least it's supposed to warm up a little tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

Novice

Post by Novice »

I'm going to disagree with what you have been told I SAY NO mercy go right to the highest level. BUT make 100% sure you know what the dog is running you have to actualy see the deer and the dog hot on it's track. and then show no mercy. And then take the dog out and check him by himself you should n't run him with others to see weather or not he will take a deer that is never a true indication and you could ruin him before you even start. Never assume it is a deer especialy in this weather . And never yell at the dog while doing this training the result you desire in a deer broke dog is that when others take a deer or unwanted game they come looking for you to let you know that they aren'tdoing anything wrong if you yell at them when you shock them they will associate the disconfort with you rather than with the unwanted gane species. Also very important use a dummy collor on him for at least one week all of the time before you take him out for training and then after you are certain that he will not take unwanted game remove the dummy collor but only after about a week after the desired results are proven. that is if you want to do it correctely and don't want to have to hunt the dog with the collors on . there is a chance based on the dogs intelegence that he could become collor wise. and while the collor is on do nothing wrong but once that collor comes off watch out he is on his own without restrictions. the shock collor is a wonderfull training tool but the tape is designed for the person that allways hunts their dog with a collor on. at least the tritronics collor video tape I have anyway.

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

Just an opinion: under a year or shy - just enough to do it. Over a year, very bold, or running after being shocked previously - NO MERCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By no mercy, I mean HIGHEST SETTING: shock, bark, shock, bark, etc.......... ten or so times until the dog is coming to you or atleast running well away from the animal it was was chasing. The pauses are important so that you can assess how the dog is responding. I have had others who did not know what I was doing think the dog was still running the track. The added benefit is that most dogs in the pack will harken to him and come right back with him.

HNTDAD

Post by HNTDAD »

Thought you might like to know how it turned out. Went out Friday and we jumped 10 rabbits. He ran all 10 with the pack even leading on a few runs. At the end of the day while we were heading back to the trucks, my buddy spotted two deer running out of the cover. We took all the dogs across the track and little Bo was the only one who took it up. I bumped him for a second or two when he first opened and his reaction almost made me laugh. He yelped a little, stopped and looked around as if to say what the heck was that. Then he smelled the track again and off he went. This time after he opened I put it to him pretty good, about 6 or 7 seconds. That time he tucked his tail and came running right back to me. I hope he's on his way to being broke.

warddog

Post by warddog »

What intensity level did you finally have it on?

HNTDAD

Post by HNTDAD »

I've got the Innotek with 1000 yard range. It has 30 intensity level settings. It took about 18 to get his attention. I had it on 30 when we had this little disagreement. I hated to do it but he's got to learn. It was just like everybody said though, he came running to me and had no idea that I did it to him.

jackrabbit

yep, yep yep.

Post by jackrabbit »

it really is better to have the setting a little high for deer. a hound gets to like the chase real fast. and if you have one that seems to enjoy it tremedously. the sooner it gets the message the better. for every other use i find that just enough to notice him twitch a little. and not to the point of yelping.....life is so much easier for me and the dogs when we both have an understanding of what to expect.