Another One Bites The Dust.....

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Greg H

Post by Greg H »

MSU,
It must be awful for yor to pick up a hunting/fishing magazine as they a chock full of pictures of hunters posing with their kills. I don't understand the position you are taking on this. A fellow hunter who set traps for preditors on his own land and legally trapped and killed a bobcat and then posted it on this forum. All of which are his right by God and Country. And you have a problem with it. Would you have rather him get all chewed up by trying to release the cat, if it wasn't a kill trap, or maybe you would have perfered he call in the DNR to rehabilitate and release the animal at the cost of the tax paying hunters. There are Hunters and there is Prey. The purpose for which an animal is taken is irrelivant. The want of a man to show off his skills as a hunter is appreciated and encouraged. I'm sure that there is no one holding a gun to your head and making you look at these pictures that discuss you so.

Rockhard

Post by Rockhard »

Bunny Runner,
I didn't mean leave the board, I meant leave the post of dead cats. If you will notice I stated for you to start your own thread, instead of ruining a fellow hunter's post.

Stick to the dog food questions. You seem to like telling everyone how bad their dog food is.:roll:

You and MSU, have every right to your opinion, and thats what makes this the best country in the world. I just don't like people putting hunters down about anything that they hunt. We don't need hunters telling us what we can and cannot kill, the anti's are bad enough. Don't give them any ideas.

And no I don't brag about putting my wife in her place. As a matter of fact, I ask her very politely, to take her place, and then I get out of the way. You see, she weighs close to 400lbs, and I don't want to get set on, when she "takes her place". :shock:
If you MUST burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Rockhard

Post by Rockhard »

Bunny Runner wrote:I am a dumb, whiney,emotional,woman.
Don't be so hard on yourself.
I didn't say any of that, you did, and I didn't mean any of it either. If you took it that way, then maybe you were already thinking it yourself. :shock:
If you MUST burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Shady Grove Beagles

30 lbs.???????? give me a break!!!!!!

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I spent alot of time in New Hampshire and Vermont hunting bobcat using hounds with Leet and Willard Ware, Alphonse and Frenchy Demers and Alfred Balch. Over in New York state I hunted for cat with Jim Duell.These guys were all serious cat hunters and they ran cats like most of us run rabbits nowadays.
With all due respect------if that cat in the first post weighed 30 lbs. I'd eat it raw! Unless that photo was shot at a weird angle or something I'd say that cat is more likely half that weight.A 30 lb. bobcat is a VERY large cat.More like the one Pete is showing in his post
Respectfully
Dana Robinson
Shady Grove Beagles
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Briarhoppers

Post by Briarhoppers »

Dana,

Bobcat weights are very deceiving. I agree that first bobcat looks to be to be about 18 lbs. I'd say most bobcats are in the 18 - 22 lbs. range. My brother has two mounted that he never weighed. He tells people they probably weighed about 30 lbs. each. When he saw the one I shot it brought him back to reality. His were probably more like 20 - 22 lbs.

The one I shot, my father in law weighed on a set of scales he uses to weigh his backpack. Then we weighed it again at the taxidermist w/ a set of fish scales.

-Pete
PUCKETT CREEK RABBIT HOUNDS
http://our-southern-roots.com/

SouthernBeagles

Post by SouthernBeagles »

First off, I have to tell you I have a soft spot for the young and injured. I have raised anything from baby squirrel and rabbits to deer. I love babies and hate to see an animal suffer. I once had an injured deer that got hung up in the fence, It had thrashed so much he injured his eye with a stick and was exhausted to the point it couldn't move when I found it. I shot that deer up with some antibiotic, packed his eye with Terramycin Antibiotic Eye Ointment and put him in a pen. Was a bad idea cause when he got to feeling better he flogged the crap out of my husband when we turned him loose, ROFL. Guess you would have had to been there, LOL. Yes i am a softy............

Keep reading..........

Will I shoot a deer??? Heck Yeah!!!! (if it aint too cold that day). I actually enjoy popping squirrels out of my pecan trees. Dang tree rats drop nuts all over your head and truck....POW! Not to mention they like to eat the wiring in your attic and fry your outside transformers, LOL. Will I kill a rabbit! You becha, Rabbit hunting is my passion! Fox?? Got a nice red one stuffed sitting in my living room......My husband shot him while deer hunting a few years ago (was also fox season). The dang thing was running a rabbit down....POP! Got a big Bobcat in the freezer (taken during season) I need to get mounted.......Guess what?? He was stalking a rabbit too!!! These animals were taken legally and if someone don't like it....Oh well! Two less rabbit eaters in the world. Get over it!

Most rabbit hunters hunt more than just rabbits. HUNTERS as a majority are the most soft hearted people you will ever meet. I don't know ANYONE that likes to see an animal suffer and most practice for hours on end to make sure they are efficient with their weapon of choice to insure a clean kill! When I shoot a rabbit, first thing I do when I get to it is pick it up, if its still alive I knock his head against a tree to finish him off! Then I field dress him, take him home and prep him for eating. Yummy!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I personally think you gals are barking up the wrong tree! There is nothing wrong with loving animals and harvesting cute little furry things too. BUT that is just another silly woman's opinion for what it is worth.
Don't squat with your spurs on!