New York Hillbilly...? Kentucky...bound...maybe?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

New York Hillbilly

New York Hillbilly...? Kentucky...bound...maybe?

Post by New York Hillbilly »

OK folks,
Sometimes I'm able to give some sage advice and other times BS or dry humor but now it's your turn. I have been giving some very serious thought to abandoning this state for some time now. As a born and raised N.Y. native it has not been an easy thing to come to grips with. But, while I maintain that there are few places left that offer such a diverse selection of outdoor sporting activities it does come at a cost. We have every form of fish and mammal one could hope to chase and plenty of FREE access to do it. State Lands, Federal Lands, and lots of unposted private land. I laugh when I see people paying hundreds of dollars a day to kill a turkey when I have them crawling all over the place. Deer are everywhere up here! WHY LEAVE!! I'll tell you why! New York is the biggest HIGH TAX, HIGH UTILITY RATE, HIGH GAS PRICE, BUISNESS UNFRIENDLY, SUE HAPPY place o EARTH! :twisted: Anyone to claim differently is either a liar, nuts or a politition (sp?) which would then make them a little of both. As a property owner and small business owner I can tell you from personal experience that this place is the pits when it comes to financial survival. If you have heard the song New York..New York then you may remember the line "If you can make it there you'll make it anywhere" and they ain't just a foolin. My thinking is in the next couple of years I am movng to a place where there are more people like me that like to run hounds, sit by campfires at night and take things a little more slowly. I could not care less after this winter if I ever see another snowflake in my life time :lol: even though it's fun to run hares on it. New York City is like a deadbeat brother-in-law that we can not get rid of. I say that if it is the world financial district the let the rest of the world pay for it. That however is not ever going to happen because of the sheer numbers of people they have give them the political clout over us upstate nit wits. Well no sense griping just time to start looking. So how bout it! Do you folks like it where you are? What's the best place out there for a hillbilly to call home? I was thinking maybe Kentucky. It looks like a good place for a hillbilly nurse like me. My wife says if I get to far back in the boonies I'll get paid in chickens. :lol: My reply to her is "At least I'll get to keep those chickens" ;)
Dreamin of warmer days and warmer people,
NHY
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

oakhill

ky

Post by oakhill »

Just ask Lyn from New Hampshire!!! She just got back from Ky picking up a pup. She talks everyday about moving to KY. Come on down and you will have a blast.

Lyn's address

samlyn@surfglobal.net

Sally

Check out those KY blueticks :D

Goes

Post by Goes »

WOW!!! Hillbilly, you seem to have put alot of thought into this. I am also an upstate nitwit who believes everything you have stated about NY being so expensive. However here are a few things you may want take into consideration. Long Island and NY city have had meetings on becoming their own state or province/district. I would love for both of these to happen. But until, I can tell you that I have lived all over these great states (was in the military) and to be honest with you, each state has it's own problems and inegmas. I too have often thought of leaving NY, it always seems to be in March (that's the end of small game season...lol), but you have hit the nail right on the head, we have everything here that is free when it comes to hunting and the outdoors. But for you, if your are serious, start with your favorite climate, then what type of outdoor activities that are free and readily available and accessible. What will be that communities needs for your type of business? Well no matter what you decide, I wish you the best and I hate the idea of NY loosing a fellow beagler.
I tried to incorporate sage advice, BS, and dry humor :lol:
Good hunting from Goes

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

I dont how anyone could live without sweet tea. LOL! Kentucky is a beautiful state with plenty of game. It does snow there though. I love Alabama and our seasons are as good as anyones for anything. Rabbit is oct. 1 til feb. 28. Deer is oct 15 til jan. 31. Turkey is tomorrow in some parts and april 1-30 in the rest. Plenty of public land, private land, national forest land and TVA land. Tennessee is the same way pretty much as is GA and Mississippi. Most of these states have very little big cities and most folks are very conservative and good as gold. They dont call us the bible belt for nothing.
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

wingpatch

The show me state

Post by wingpatch »

Hey. N.Y. hillbilly,You need to think real serious about mo. lots of turkey ,deer ,coon,, squirrels ,rabbits, fishen. land is cheap.Only one game warreden in each county{ all of them are scared to go out after dark]when you go on someones land they just wave at ya. sweet corn is free when you are out coon hunten on someones land, If you ever get lost all the people will give you directions[some times all at the same time]People here are good really they are. they are close. I dont know ifen it has something to do with them all being related or not. I came here about 15 years ago from oregon never had been here my wife had. when we were driven out here i ask my wife what it was like and how the people were, the only thing she could compare it to was that movie years ago, no i know what you are thinken, not where the red fern grows, the one called DELIVERANCE. ALL seriousness aside you come on down we will make you at home :lol:

New York Hillbilly

Post by New York Hillbilly »

One More Thing,
Please do not confuse my frustration with the high cost of livng in N.Y. as a lack of love for my birthplace. As I said it ain't easy the thought of leaving. :cry: And while I can spout off about the place like I do over my brother in law, it is MY brother in law. And you know how that goes! I can say it but you better not! Please do not think it is OK to take pot shots! I may be angry with the high cost of living in N.Y. but will always defend it from others. ;) I just need someplace where the living is a little easier at this point and I can keep some of what I earn. By the way as a person with several family members getting ready to defend our country from would be evil doers say a prayer for those who may be in harms way. And to those who have already made it home safely a heart felt thank you!
NYH
When my life on earth is ended....this is all I'm gonna say...Lord I've been a hard working pilgrim on the way!

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Alswamper, Shush! This is a public forum, not a private message to NYHillbillie personally. Do we really want everyone from up North to come down here like they will if they knew what we have?? LOL

New York Hillbillie, I agree with you and all the Yankees that want to get out of the snow and into a better climate.

I think the great State of Kentucky is the right place for all of ya'll to go.

Missouri, would be another good place, but watch out for 'ol Wingpatch, I hear up there, they might like to see if you can uh, play the banjo !!!!!
LOL
Last edited by Alabama John on Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Robert W. Mccoy Jr

Post by Robert W. Mccoy Jr »

I hear you N.Y.

I'm about ready to move south to.

Me and my hounds have had it with the cold weather this year...

wingpatch

Post by wingpatch »

Come on down, just get across the big muddy we will all make you feel at home. shame on you john :oops:

Ky Beagles

Post by Ky Beagles »

NY Hillbilly, Come down to the western part of the state and we could run daily. Plenty of game where I live and the rabbits run like deer here. Email me and I can give you more info.
Kentucky Beagles Home of Champions
"He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he."
Dueteronomy 32:4

ACOMEAU

Post by ACOMEAU »

I have one question? Can you pursue game with dogs in Kentucky? If you can then you have my vote. In NY you can't run bear, coyotes, cats ect. with dogs, so its not on my list of places to live.
Take a Kid Hunting and Fishing

Gary A

Post by Gary A »

NYH,

Are you leaving because of Hillary. I am in Indiana, but if you move to Ky I will drive all the way just to run dogs with you.

Gary

bluegrass

Post by bluegrass »

I had to move away from Kentucky for financial reasons and wound up in Michigan...I like the longer rabbit seasons here, but the snow is awful irritating right now!!! But the people in Kentucky are what makes it such a great place to live. When I need to recharge my batteries, I go back to stay with my dad who lives there and will until he dies. The people in Kentucky for the most part are decent, honest and good hearted folks that will make you feel welcome if you decide to move there. Be aware that if you are a rabbit hunter as well as a trialer, the rabbit seasons in Ky are pretty short compared to other places in the Midwest. But game is plentiful and there is never a shortage of people willing to share good times. Good Luck, Tony

cris axtell

kentucky bound

Post by cris axtell »

try PA. we have more public hunting land then any other state.

DOGRUNNER

Post by DOGRUNNER »

Hey hillbilly come to easten Virginia, I left to the cold of NY about 18 years ago in the navy and have now made Suffolk Va. my home. We can use dogs to hunt deer and bear where I live. I hunt deer from the fisrt of October till first week in January. Let me know and ill send you some pictures of deer killed where I hunt.