Changing dogs names

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Leon Kelly

Changing dogs names

Post by Leon Kelly »

I just want to run this by a few of you fellows... I am deeply concerned at how many guy's are changing the name of dogs that they purchase. Please, don't misunderstand me. I know that you can do what ever you like when you pay your money for a dog... It's yours! But, I owned Patch hounds before I went to the Boldstroke hounds. People were anxious to name there hounds Patch whatever,,, And I see people buying Gill's dogs and Champion them out under a different name... Like I said, I know you can do what ever you want to, it's your dog. But, I and many others have grown to like these hounds REAL WELL!!! I would just like to be able to keep up with them for my breeding program. What's your thoughts???

This is not to offend anyone, or meant to single any one person out. I am mearly concerned about the future of the dogs as a line and a man's life work. I think one of the greatest compliments would be to carry on the name if you truly respect what was done to produce you like and feed. I may be wrong. But, how can I buy a grown running dog and take credit for it's accomplishments under my name? What's your thoughts???

And what if I and others, want to keep up with the hounds as part of a breeding program in the future. What's your thoughts???

Goes

Post by Goes »

Here here. i agree. some people devote their lives to the betterment of the breed then some folks come along and want to tak all the credit for it. WRONG ANSWER :shock:
Be proud to have a dog with the breeders name on it from where you purchased it. If you are ashamed of that name, you shouldn't have bought it from them in the first place.
Good hunting from Goes

Bunnyseeker

Post by Bunnyseeker »

I agree with both of you.I don't believe you should change a dogs name.I agree with Goes---if your are ashamed of the dogs name then why did you buy it?If you are not ashamed of the name then don't take credit for someone's hard work and breeding.It doesn't take long for people to figure out who does what and where the real credit needs to go.

Doc S

Post by Doc S »

I am curious... AKC won't allow you to change a dog's name once they are registered; therefore, I am assuming you are talking about folks registering them UKC and ARHA. Once registered in those registries can the name then actually be changed? If so, then why wouldn't the breeders register them in the AKC to lock in their kennel name if nothing else? Thanks, Doc S
Doc S Gundogs
Scott Smith, DVM
Lisa Marie Smith
West Branch, Michigan doc_s_gundogs@yahoo.com

dogrunnerone

Post by dogrunnerone »

Doc S,

I know in ARHA/NKC the name can not be changed once the name goes on registration papers. I know that NKC does allow other breeds in their registry to change names if the new owner wants, but they do not allow this for the beagles, it states it right on the paperwork that comes from them. So, if someone is changing the names of hounds after they have been registered with ARHA/NKC, they are breaking the rules and should be turned in for it.

I know one guy here in Indiana that is notorious for doing this and has been turned in for it, but continues to get away with it time and time again. It all goes right back to the registry and how well they enforce the rule and how well they keep on top of the game.

I guess it doesn't rate high enough on their list to do anything about it. But the paper thing is a whole new topic, anybody that thinks the papers on their hound ensures the proper lineage, without knowing the breeding and breeders personally, is just taking the word of someone else. You know as well as I do papers don't mean squat, sometimes!

Craig

wingpatch

Post by wingpatch »

:oops: I am a very prood owner of some of Gills patch dogs. And as long as own the patchs they will remain just that Patchhounds. When i see the name patch or patchs or any part of,i know what they are they are patch hounds started bye a man named MR WILLET RANDALL........wingpatch :lol:

James Carman

Changing a hounds name

Post by James Carman »

As long as changing a hounds name is allowed, the papers issued by the newer registries are worthless. Pedigrees are totally worthless. Breeding programs are based on incorect information and all papers issued on the pups are worthless. This practice must stop.

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

I agree. I dont mind having a dog with the kennels name on the papers. I have not dealt with NKC much so far but how easy is it to change the name. I think AKC is a hassel as well it should be. Of course, everything in AKC seems to be a hassel. lol It should be stopped and there should be consequences for it.
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

DG TX

Post by DG TX »

James Carman, you said it perfectly. Even if caught, someone else could still register the hound. As long as NKC, UKC, CKC of Louisiana continue to register grade hounds it will not stop. A person simply throws the current papers away and registers the hound again with a new name at a hunt or the registry office. And the cycle starts all over again and everything before is lost forever. Hassel? You get back what you put into it. :lol: