Young stud dawg needs advice

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Honey Pot Hounds

Young stud dawg needs advice

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

Hey guys,

You guys seem to be the masters of big litters..I am curious how you all normally conduct your matings? I have a young dog who is almost one year old and we have a 2 yr. old maiden in season visiting. I had them turned out together all day in the kennel. Today was day 12 (of her bleeding) and she was standing pretty well for him for the most part. Try as he might he just could not get the job done(make the connection and make it stick).

Before I go trying all kinds of fancy tricks I am wondering what you guys normally do with two inexperienced but basically willing young dogs?

Thanks!!!
Cindy
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

Latimer Beagles

Post by Latimer Beagles »

Just be patient they will get it figured out.

Shady Grove Beagles

Breeding

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

First question is, are they approximately the same size? Sometimes breeding a 13" to a 15" presents some difficulties with them making the connection. I've gone so far as to build a small platform out of 2x4's and a piece of plywood for a little male to stand on so he could more easily breed a full 15" bitch. And in the past have also dug a hole for a big bitch to stand with her rear feet in so a smaller male could get it done.
If the male is actively trying and the bitch is ready and willing but it still isn't happening then try helping them out. I don't want to get grafic here but if the male will let you then then take him in hand and guide him home.Some aggressive males will let you work with them and they don't much care as they just want to get it done. I've seen other males that will just plain quit if you try and mess with them at all and seeing that your working with a real young male that probably wouldn't work too well. An old experienced stud doesn't seem to be as intimidated when you assist them as young dogs are.
Bottom line is like Jim Latimer said-- They'll usually figure it out on their own.
Good luck
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

TOUCHSTONE

Post by TOUCHSTONE »

The first time I bred Beau my girlfriend and I got frustrated by the ordeal so just for fun I dimmed the lights, lit a candle, and put on some soft music. Had a tie less than 5 minutes later. True Story! In fact 2 pups from that litter won the registered and champion categories at the Indiana State Championship last weekend. Dan M. Touchstone Kennels
Structure: THE WINNING EDGE!
STRUCTURE - THE WINNING EDGE!

lee ga

Post by lee ga »

cindy, they will figure it out themselves. i have seen several males who were first time breeders, try for 2 or 3 days before they were succesfull. sorry i couldn't help more....lee

Honey Pot Hounds

Thanks for the replies guys. I feel so bad for my dog. I think he is sick and tired of the whole thing and she is now chasing him around and humping him :roll:
He tries, but it is a halfhearted effort now and so close yet so far away ;)
It's definitely driving me CRAZY watching from my house...if I go out there to help fugitaboutit! :headache:

On sizes, they are both 15's but she is a few inches lower than his aim....anybody got any homemade instructions for an artificial AI? I think it is too late to order and wait for an AI kit from Petedge.....My daughter can help me tonight
:blush: My husband has said from day one that when it comes to collecting a dog he is outta here, LOL!
Cindy

Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

I have found it is best not to let them together all day, put them together once in the morning and once an the evening for about an hour. He will get his drive back by being separated. Good luck.

R.W.Hawk

Post by R.W.Hawk »

my advice, if your stud is under year old , then wait until next year.

show dog

Post by show dog »

I would agree with the stud being too young. Also when we bred my bitch, we had the quiet low light, little time together, visited three times two days apart. Got a litter of 7. He was an experienced stud. Give your guy a break. They need to be apart now for a day at least so he can collect his thoughts. lol Then try the hour morning and night. Good luck! Carolyn

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

ok, i get it, this is a joke, right? :lol:
Last edited by S.R.Patch on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I just recently breed my 12 month old male to my two year female on feb 26 06 and he didn't have any trouble breeding to her. I kept them apart for the whole time kenneled seperate. I put them together for a half hour on the 10th 12th day and she took I'm expecting them shortly. I think if you were to keep them seperated for a whole day it might help.

Honey Pot Hounds

Thanks guys! They have been seperated since early this morning...I'll try them again after their dinner just because its now day 13 and we may be running out of time. This isn't a real important breeding, thank goodness, more a favor for a friend and I thought maybe some fun for my boy but turns out its all been just a pain in the neck for me :roll:

I should have referred back to my bookshelf before I invited that bitch over. In the book "The Joy of Breeding Your Own Show Dog" it says "Attempting to mate a maiden bitch to an ineperienced stud dog is difficult and frustrating not only for the owner of the stud but for the stud itself." Amen.

Cindy
Cindy

WE NEED YOU!

MasonsBeagles

s

Post by MasonsBeagles »

As a last resourt. KY Jelly and good hand eye coordination.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

Honey Pot Hounds

Re: s

MasonsBeagles wrote:As a last resourt. KY Jelly and good hand eye coordination.

LOL.....thats the plan for tonight..... a nice dinner.....dim lights in the dog room.....and just the THREE of us...LOL! :cool:
Cindy

WE NEED YOU!

MasonsBeagles

S

Post by MasonsBeagles »

Honey Hush!! Wow that really fit this bill.

I am not sure but that sounds illegal....LMAO
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.