Brankos Beagles

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Gbeagle

Post by Gbeagle »

Not saying he don't do his part but the little guy does the dirt work and that is that
What product out there does the little guy not do the work ??
I don't own a Branko nor do I have the ambition to own a Branko but they must be doing some thing right or else folks would stop buying and breeding to what others have bought from them .
Just like anything else in this world if you selling junk folks will eventually walk away from what you selling . Now with all the options here in the beagle world as far as good lines to choose from if someone is willing to pay what he is asking for his stock then more power to them . I'm not going to knock the folks or there dogs .

straight&narrow

Post by straight&narrow »

Bev,

Great posting. I have never had a direct dealing with the Krpans never spoke to them, don't think I ever plan on doing the above.... But Jack's right who on this board other than maybe Bev the editor of a magizene will be remember for their impact on beagling in 50 years. If we all were remembered we would all have superior dogs and it would take the fun out of hunting, breeding, trialing etc. The Krpans have had a profound impact on the beagling community and to not just be able to say those words are ridiculous. I understand misfortunes, deals gone south, poor results from breedings. This is beagling and its a science, you take what you know and you try to make the best of it. Then you take what you get and hope to better it next time or add more to it etc.... The Krpans have been in this a long time. Why do you think they can get $450.00 for a pup? Because their hard work, sacrifice, dedication to the sport intrigues the consumer enough to pay that price. I'm not saying its right or its wrong to sell a dog for that much, but I can tell you this, let me have a litter of pups from the best breedings out there and list them for $450.00 and guess what, I will be keeping the whole stinking litter. Why the difference? Name recognition just like buying a car, house or anything else. You look for a brand name, you look for something that makes you feel safe and give you the best chance at quality. That is what the Branko name does for a lot of beaglers. And for some others it doesn't. I just like to think I am wise enough weather I like Branko stuff or not to say nice work, Thank you for the things you have done for our sport!

coyote hunter

Post by coyote hunter »

First of all I didn't say the Krpans didn't know anything about beagles I said at one point they know more then most ever will,I do agree they have had a great inpact on the sport(with maybe 200 pups a year on the ground they better show)Another story,Starting a puppy for a guy she could run an ok rabbit at 6-7 months old .This hound stayed in the house was very use to people.Running one day the dogs broke down so out come the hounds, picked everything up but this puppy she was 5ft away and wouldn't come.5 hr. later we pushed her into a rap seed field and she was caught and bit and almost eat the guy who was the handler for the 6-7 months of her life,this hound was not a nice hound,anyway that was one of the 3 that was in the deal I mentioned above.She was sent back.Guess what instead of being culled like she should have been she has been bred to death and puppies sold for top dollar saying how good they should be because the mother is this and that.That is some great gene pool started their. Is that the right thing to do????is that good breeding??Some guys have culled pups from her because of the same situation go figure. :roll: And Bev I have gotten vet cert. crats and 6hr return drive to airport so I do understand that one and for 600US plus shipping and crate I won't call it that much work ;)Why do I bash the branko line some ask can you see where I come from I have more to tell if so be it.Bev you mentioned how they must be doing a great job breeding because people are buying ,How many do they sell in Canada would you guess compared to the south???How strong is the branko line here compared to the US$$So to me like I said $$$$$ not hounds,This is just my opinion the same as you guys got your own but I do know what I know.And the stuff I mentioned you would be soft in the head to think it is right.Dan
Always Play after a storm life is great

sav

Post by sav »

Once again Dan I can't understand your reasoning or logic, and like Bev said we are only hearing your side of this story. In all the time I've been to Branko's I've never seen an agressive dog, I had my hands in many whelping boxes this spring and not one mean look even, if your story is true it's an isolated case. If we judged all people by your actions and words, I'd cull the whole darn race!

And I'm not sure if you've noticed but I think the USA has about 100 times our population, if I need to expalin it any more than that it's a waste of my time. I myself find it odd that you have no reservation about bashing the Krpans and calling them every name in the book but won't tell us the name of this phantom bitch who attacks on site, save us all from getting a pup from this killer and tell us her name.

What are we all supposed to think of someone who sticks to his outdated opinions, regardless that some pretty experienced people are telling you different, people who have physically been to the kennel and know the family. I just can't understand where that much hatred comes from, when you know NOTHING about the people involved, it's speaks volumes of your character as far as I'm concerned.

Bev thanks again for the well thought out post, I know you've saved me alot of typing.

beerdrinking bob

Post by beerdrinking bob »

danny i seen on the trading post mike powers has a 13" 2 year old female heavy branko top and bottom. $1,200.

Danny8995

Post by Danny8995 »

Hi Bob, I seen that post. But she is only 13 Inches. I am looking for a 14 or 15 inch gyp.

Shady Grove Beagles

Kudos to ya Bev

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

All I can say to your response Bev is AMEN and again I say AMEN!!!!
Your are so articulate I can see why you had success with the magazine and you've got some of these guys pegged for exactly what they are.
Alot of them nothing more than internet--beagling cowboys with a bad case of jealousy
Dana Robinson
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I just read coyotehunter's last post. Where do you get the idea that the Krpans raise 200 pups a year? I get both the American Beagler and Better Beagling and in the May and June issues of both magazines they have run the same ad for - HOW MANY- count em. FIVE litters. Over the years I've followed their ads and they never have the number of litters advertised that you suggest.
Ever notice that when Branko puts a stud out at public stud or starts advertising pups for sale out of him that you'll find this is an older male?
And you think where has this dog been all this time? It's because Branko has been making crosses with him and keeping the pups himself to see how they turn out BEFORE he puts him out to the public. When he has a stud advertised or pups out of him you can have some confidence that the hound is a PROVEN REPRODUCER and not JUST a field trial champion or a 2 year old male with nothing on the ground to judge him by.
If you think the Krpans don't know or care about beagles then tell me why when they own a kennel full of champion and international field champion males they go out and spend the time and money to breed their bitches to Hare Charmer Ringo and Speedy Sport to name a couple.
And the last thing I wanted to bring up is your statement about the Krpans keeping an ill dog and breeding it. I know of 4 guys from here in Tn. that spent a week at the Krpans home hunting with Branko and came home with several dogs purchased there. While there they told me of seeing a beagle tied off to the side one evening by itself. This was a dog they had seen run and it was a real decent young male. They asked Freida why the dog was tied over where it was and she said that It had been starting fights around the feed with other hounds and that Branko was going to shoot it. One of the guys told Branko and Freida that he'd buy the dog from them on the spot and offered $300-$400 for the dog.
Branko's response was " a dog like that will NEVER leave my place. nobody going to say they got a dog like that from Branko!" He then went and shot the dog.
The guys that told me that story don't lie or makeup B.S.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

blackgates

Post by blackgates »

just bought one from him 2 weeks ago,,nice male dog that has a true mouth,,he is what they said he was,,no problems yet,,so we'll see,he is just a year old so alot could happen,,lol

kybriarbuster

Post by kybriarbuster »

guys i own 6 dogs directly from the krpans. 2 were 18mnths. or older when i bought them. the rest were pups. i also own a 7 year old male they bred. come on down to where ky ohio and west va. meet and i will show you 7 dogs that will go to field hunt ALL day get in the brush jump the rabbit and pursue it till it holes or is shot. these dogs are not swingers cutters or me too dogs. a dog is worth what you can get for it and they have no problem getting rid of them. they are winning in all registries and all divisions here and in canada. go to the canadian websites and check the hunt results the are winning there too so they must be selling them up there also. as far as honesty both grown dogs were exactly as described and all 4 pups are 2 yrs now and they are what i was told they would be. anybody with reservations about these dogs is more than welcome to come and spend a couple days and watch dogs that came from there not a dog who has branko 3 generations back thats called a branko dog. give these people a chance and i think you will be more than satisfied IFyou give them a chance. any questians? my name is sam lebeau feel free to any reasonable hour. 1 304 522 41325

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

Bev wrote: Brian I'm especially surprised at you. You've raised how many dogs directly from Branko's kennel, yet you feel qualified to judge them all? Besides the Bramlett line, what other bloodline have you really given the test of time? There are HUNDREDS of good bloodlines out there. I would put more stock in what a person had to say who had gone through, or judged a bunch of them in a trial situation - or had hunted with a lot of different bloodlines. For the most part, you never leave your own backyard. Jeepers, the breeding stock you have now came from within your own state - what, an hour from you? I'm just saying, gather more facts - get ur butt out there and see some more dogs before you start passing out sentences.
i wasnt passing out and sentence... i just feel its important to know how many litters per year it takes to produce the quality that they do. sure they sell some nice dogs and we all see the ones that are winning trials, but we dont know how many litters it takes to do that. thats all im getting at. im not judging their quality at all. as for my breeding stock... you better do your homework a bit better... because none of them i own right now were born in the state of IL... except for a male im in the process of buying back that i bred and raised. as for gathering more facts... thats why id want to know how many litters they produce but they wont provide that info. i know where a couple half branko dogs are right now that id be proud to own if they ever were for sale but its really not about the line... just the certain things the owners wont talk about that i think is not right.

farwest - i answered you question in my first couple sentences above. i cant get it any more clear than that. have someone explain it to you if you need for help.

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

Geeze, I can't believe I'm getting into this fray!!!!!!

Several years ago, when I was getting into AKC registered dogs, I too was ennamered with Branko dogs. I believe Branko truly knows alot about breeding beagles. I'll not repeat my examples.

I have come to learn that there are alot of other truely great beagle lines out there with out the price of buying directly from the Karpans.

Speedy Sport, Super Dog, Turbo are producing excellent hounds with Little Pack qualities. Yes, Sport and Turbo have Branko behind them.

Danny, there are many mid-west beaglers in your area and in Kentucky that breed the style dog you are looking for. Check out the Mid-West web site.

If you need help, drop me a PM.

briarshakersdaddy

Post by briarshakersdaddy »

As My buddy Sam stated. About all 7 of his branko Dogs. We bought a pup each from them had them shiped down toghter. Talked to the krapns about on the phone about the posiblity of breeding them to each other in the future. They advized aginst it because of so many common ancestors in there back ground. Even advised us on whitch of sam's other males we should cross with. Have been very helpful. On Sam's 7year Male They Called Him and congradulated Him on his places in AKC with him. Not just his win's. Like Sam have dogs out of there kennels all our other dogs have branko in them. Even My Briarpatch Male out of Vermont has 1/4 branko in him. I have pedigree software with about 11.000 dog pedigrees on it that I have researched on my own. About Half from Cancda the others from the USA. Over 65% of them have Either branko blood lines or from Stud Dogs branko used to start his beagle breeding program. Not Saying ever branko dog is a world beater. Just They have produced a lot of dogs that has had a impact on the beagling world. Just like any other breeding program ytou get culls in any thing. You want to learn about having to cull to keep a % of good off springs try raising Game Roosters.
send me pedigrees

whiteriver

Post by whiteriver »

this must be the hundreth time i have seen the branko debate on here ,it gets old !!

some brood females in our kennel have branko breeding in them.

all i will say is you have to be ignorant to not admit that their are good and bad in all bloddlines including ours , the fact is branko beagles like em or not have had some darn good dogs ,period !! the impact on the sport is a given !

thanks,
Mitch Gould
White RIver Beagles

Farwest

Post by Farwest »

Well folks I need some help understanding blackdirts logic. Can anyone explain it to me? He feels he can tell something from the number of litters a breeder has per year :roll: I would like to know what he can learn from knowing this.
Do you take the number of hounds that place in a trial per # of pups? What about the ones that go to hunters? How about the number that are junk and get shot or the pups that go as pets??? I am really missing something here because for the life of me I can't figure this out.
Blackdirt, just when I think you might have a clue about hounds you go and prove me wrong ;) What is up with that?
PS Coyote hunter says hello, wishes you could be here :lol: