Brankos Beagles

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

cabin fever

Post by cabin fever »

Blackdirt, I would agree that knowing the history of the male and female I was planning on getting a pup from would be useful information and I'm sure the Krpans wouldn't have a problem telling me about past pups produced from this cross but to know the total number of litters produced a year out of all thier dogs is really useless information to me and really none of mine or your business.

Dave
Last edited by cabin fever on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack

Post by Jack »

Coyote hunter, Branko and Frieda are getting a bitch back from me that is a very very good hound. Litter mate to Iron Jack. How much did they pay for her, the IRS may be looking so I won't tell you. But I will tell you if you are in need of a good pup Hannah will produce them. I have 4 young hounds that I am running out of her and they are dandies.

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

Bev wrote:Brian, no offense, but did it ever occur to you that the Krpans don't know you from Adam? (or an anti) If somebody called me and said he was a beagler, gave me a bout of questions then asked "How many litters do you produce a year?" I'd hang up the phone.

Not a matter of "guilt." It's frankly none of your business. Either you've done your homework on the dogs and you want one, or you don't.
when i did some interviews awhile ago for your mag... all the other kennels were very quick and actually proud to tell me about their breeding plans and how many litters they had per year. when i was talking (and emailing) frieda about the questions, she had a fit about that question and got all upset and then decided to not do any more questions. she didnt know me personally but she knew i was doing an interview and very easily could of contacted the mag if she was concerned about who i was. but that wasnt the case. i'll quit responding to this post now because it really makes no difference to me any how... i dont own any branko bred dogs anymore or plan on it, i was just passing along some info about them as this is what the original question was about, but as usual, when anyone has a less than wonderful review of the krpans, everyone comes out of the woodwork to jump on them :roll: .

Chief Long Hair

Post by Chief Long Hair »

Alright, I can't standby any longer!

I got only one thing to say to you all. You all would make the best darn NASCAR fans ever. Bash Gordon, Johnson, Stewart, Rusty, Darrel Waltrip, Earnhart Sr. (yes he got booed alot when he was alive), etc. And then stand up and beat your chest for your guy, (who is probably hated by someone else)! What have they all got in common? They're all winners! Nough said. (I can't stand Stewart but he's one hell of a driver.)

Why is it un-American to root for the winner? To see how good they really are while beat'in em down? This subject must be like the New York Yankees, either you love 'em or you hate 'em. There's no in-between and you'll find anything to support your reasoning. Gordon and company along with Branko and Frieda Krpan are OK in my book---they're all winners, (yeah, Stewart too)!

I've got experience with the Krpan's. I made a trip up there to buy a female breed up to Warlock. Everything they told me about the bitch and the litter could not have been more truthfully told. I was so satisfied that I bought another brood female a year and a half later, same story. They personally even delivered her to me in Ohio. If I had room I'd buy a field trailable dog next from them.

Oh, one more thing. They told me they sell a large part of they're pups as pets only to Canadian citizens with hunting companions next. Trailers are only a small part of it. That's alot of dogs we will never know about. Branko told me he has always wondered how many "Greats" were in people's back yard. Think about it.
I'VE GOT SOME DOGS THAT ARE GONNA HURT SOME FEELINGS!!!!! I just hope it's not mine. Home of Wild Hare Kennels and FC Creek Woods Blue.

WrongsideRandy

Post by WrongsideRandy »

AMEN CHIEF!!!

The best dog I ever seen run a rabbit was kept on a chain out near Roachdale in an 85 year old mans backyard that only runs her about 5 times a year, if that......and he wouldnt get rid of her for anything, lol.

Take care,
Randy

straight&narrow

Post by straight&narrow »

Put all the crap aside like how many litters, what percentage, what they told you etc.... You can't honstely tell me they having drastically effected the sport of beagling. I don't care weather you like them or hate them you have to admit that they have been as successful as anyone else in this sport. If they hadn't we wouldn't have a seven page pissing match going on....

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Bev wrote:I'm sure the Krpans thank you all for promoting their kennel - even you, Dan Reid, because it doesn't matter if it's good or bad - as long as people are talking about you it's a good thing.
Which is why I said this in my original post, lol.

mike hatfield

Post by mike hatfield »

It amazes me how someone can be so negative about the Krpans when they dont even know them. I bought my first two pups from them about 4 yrs ago, and i wanted to see for myself what kind of people they were, breeding program and anything else i could find out. What i found out was, Branko and Frieda both love their dogs and love beagling. Branko can be a little rough at times and guys who knows him know what i am talking about....they both are very straight to the point and take no BS! Both are very intelligent people and you better have your crap together if you talk dogs with them!!! What most people dont know is Branko has been beeding animals since he was a boy, either for racing or show or some nature of sort. And as far as running dogs, like Jack said, try and stay up with him....no way!! All the good things i have read on here about the Brankos is true. As far as a "puppy mill", not true....Frieda handles every pup every day.....who else does that??? Plus they could breed alot more females than they do.. and if it is about dollars why dont they?? Try and buy a pup after July.....see now how many they have for sale?? And you cant tell me if anyone on here could get the prices they get wouldnt do it! And some do....most of their dogs go to hunters and as pets.....as was mention....you cant take one or two dogs and judge what the Krpans do....about 65% or a dogs potential comes from training and handling.....i could say much more, but to some it wouldnt make any difference.... Mike Hatfield....606.528.5276

briarshakersdaddy

Post by briarshakersdaddy »

Coyota Hunter I see on your web site that just about ever thing you have owned you have sold. Even advertise pups for sale. does that make you a dog jockey and a puppy mill. seem's That because Branko's sells dog and puppy's you don't like them yet you do the same thing. Charles V Salyers Rush Ky
send me pedigrees

THALL

Post by THALL »

i have 5 pups 7 monyhts old. their mother is branko she was bought direct. these pups started really quick and act as good as any i ever seen.
i wouldn't be afraid to buy a branko dog direct.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Might as well put a dog in this hunt, Chief made some good points...

Quote="Oh, one more thing. They told me they sell a large part of they're pups as pets only to Canadian citizens with hunting companions next. Trailers are only a small part of it. That's alot of dogs we will never know about. Branko told me he has always wondered how many "Greats" were in people's back yard. Think about it."END QUOTE

I thought about it, and I thought about goals and objectives...
Now, It's just me, but, I'd rather take $200. for a pup and put it in the hands of a boy who'd hunt it, than charge $400. for a hound pup to go to a pet home.
Money does strange things to people, one trialer told me he charges $500 for a pup, that way, the fellow buying it, will hunt it because of the investment he has in it, but, on the other side of that same coin, most of these people, if they see the hound pup won't make the grade, next, alot will try to breed this same hound to recoop some of their money invested, and this is where it all comes unraveled. Breeding faulty hounds because they came at a price and they have a name on them is a threat to every family of hounds. Next, a large group of people in a area own these same named hounds and the trials become infected by the family virus.
This also kind of goes along with one of the other topics about the pricing of beagles. To promote and improve the beagle breed, it must stay within reach of those who will keep and use it for it's intended purpose, the one thing that stays constant without infulence of fashion or fad,...Rabbit Hunting...jmho... It is not my intention to down grade or bash anyone. This is an interesting topic and if nothing else, makes us a look at ourselves and evaluate what we have and where we're going...Best regards to all...

ps...Blackdirt, do you see you have gotten to speak your mind and give your opinion, which if given in the same tone on another board, you may have been deleted or worse, thrown out...
The freedom we have here to express ourselves and the good judgement of the people of this board to take a comment for what it may be worth, is what makes it great... I am happy and greatful for this band of discretion our Moderators allows us... ;)

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

S.R.Patch wrote:...
Now, It's just me, but, I'd rather take $200. for a pup and put it in the hands of a boy who'd hunt it, than charge $400. for a hound pup to go to a pet home.
Patch, I'm kinda the same way, but I keep going back to the Krpans particular situation. Manitoba is a bit remote from the trialing action, and I'm sure there are only so many young boys starting to hunt close by to them. We don't know, they may well be doing that on a local level (getting some dogs to young hunters). I'm sure there are many in Manitoba who could provide a good pet home for the ones not suitable for other things.

They would lose money shipping a dog to the U.S. at $200 per dog. I looked about flying Clem home with me from my trip to the Triple Challenge (one way, and as baggage) and it would have been $229.00 by the time I bought the crate and all. *shrugs*

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

I probably should stay out of this but I'm bored. :lol:

If they are breeding as many pups as I hear they do a year, then they are nothing more than a puppy mill. Ya, ya ya, I don't care how many FC's they have. Let me breed enough and trial enough and I to could have that many. ya ya ya

If that is not the case and they only breed a few litters a year then fine, I have no problem. I hear they use brood females so you know my next question. Do they hunt them?
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

S.R.Patch wrote:I thought about it, and I thought about goals and objectives...
Now, It's just me, but, I'd rather take $200. for a pup and put it in the hands of a boy who'd hunt it, than charge $400. for a hound pup to go to a pet home.... ;)
I wish it were that easy. For me to breed a litter I have to have some go to pet homes. I have no choice as there are NO gundog clubs here and most gundog folks probably wouldn't want my show dogs. I usually just give show dogs to my close friends and charge a reasonable price to those that contact me. Money sure doesn't motivate me as it all goes back into the dogs anyway for various things.

I have always believed that if you can handle breeding 10 litters a year and have the facilities and do a good job of it than thats your business. Some can handle one litter and some more but, its certainly no indication of quality or not.

Leah

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Bev wrote:
S.R.Patch wrote:...
Patch, I'm kinda the same way, but I keep going back to the Krpans particular situation. Manitoba is a bit remote from the trialing action, and I'm sure there are only so many young boys starting to hunt close by to them. We don't know, they may well be doing that on a local level (getting some dogs to young hunters). I'm sure there are many in Manitoba who could provide a good pet home for the ones not suitable for other things.

They would lose money shipping a dog to the U.S. at $200 per dog. I looked about flying Clem home with me from my trip to the Triple Challenge (one way, and as baggage) and it would have been $229.00 by the time I bought the crate and all. *shrugs*
Yes Bev, I cretainly didn't expect them to eat the shipping cost, so that would be $200 + $229 = $429
As I said, I'm not to put anyone down for their success, and the market will bare what the market will bare, only what the objective is inhand and what is best for the family and the breed... ;)
I've eatten the cost of hound & shipping from England to be disappointed with a prospect. The best chance is to get an older hound that can no longer keep up or a pup that may not fit their size in the pack, which is good as their standard of within an inch of the limit, lesser is usually just right for ours...
I had another bitch pup on the line, only to find out this last weekend she had taken a growth spurt and is now up level with all her brothers :(
They won't let go of one until they come back from puppy walk, 9-12months to be most certain on size...