Who to breed to Champion or Champions brother

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

billi

Who to breed to Champion or Champions brother

Post by billi »

A friend of mine called the other day saying a certain friend was going to breed to this Champion dog that is doing real good currently. I asked the question why doesnt he breed to his brother who is a lot closer but has never been to a trial. He asked me to ask other beaglers whats the overall opinion when it comes to breeding to same bloodlines. We have a few brothers as a matter of fact same blood hunt great but have not been trialed....Would it be that you can sell the pups better if by known Champion?? Anyone with opinions on this...

SouthernBeagles

Post by SouthernBeagles »

Well, here is my take. If both males have been bred and both were throwing decent pups, I would breed to the brother rather than the FC IF he was has more of the qualities I was looking for in a stud dog. I don't breed to sell pups but to build on my pack and improve my bloodline. The male I choose to breed to has to have what my bitch is lacking but no faults that would hurt her. A title is nice and proves he is above average in ability but doesn't mean he is a producer.
I Have seen some really nice FC dogs that could not produce anything. Have seen some good hunting dogs that could produce good pups even if bred to a sorry bitch. Some dogs have producing power and some don't. Its a crap shoot but again, I would stack my chances on the dog that best complimented my bitch regardless of title.
Don't squat with your spurs on!

Waccamaw Beagler

Post by Waccamaw Beagler »

Nice Answer Southern
FOX BAY Kennels

WHEN THE TAILGATE DROPS...THE BULLS**T STOPS!!!

Beagle Foxhounds...fastest growing hound sport in America

http://www.foxbeagle.net

beerdrinking bob

Post by beerdrinking bob »

southern said it right but if your selling the pups to people that has never seen either dog run i would guess they would sell better having a FC in the pedigree.

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

B/D Bob hit it on the head,it's all about money. Breed to the Champion.
Big Mike

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

Hopefully, all joking aside, it is all about getting some kickbutt nice pups so breed to whichever dog is throwing the best puppies, and as Southern said, compliments your bitch the best.
Unfortunately a lot of superb dogs can't produce.....unless you know for a fact that both of the dogs can produce you are probably safer going with the CH because at least it is proven that HE can hunt....
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

blunder

Post by blunder »

Gets into the "fenotype" "genotype" thing.

(what you see is fenotype, and what it throws is genotype)

And there is only one way to find out
CH Copper Rose Nothing But Net (Patrick)
CH SweetBreez Erin Go Braugh (Peanut)
CH Windflower It's A Beautiful Day (Morgan)
CH Copper Rose Looney Tunes (Poo)
CH Seventhson's Shotgun Sophie

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

As far as the quality of the resulting pups are concerned the Field Champion title has ABSOLUTELY NO bearing on them. Champion titles are unfortunately not heriditary.The hound MUST be a proven reproducer first and formost if you expect him to pass on his charecteristics to his pups.
DO NOT make the mistake of thinking that just because they are brothers that they are genetically alike as they may or may not be. One may be prepotent for the traits that you are looking for and the other could be useless for that pupose. Happens all the time.
Look at some human families that you know. They may have 4 sons and they may not look much alike at all and others are all a spitting image of each other.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

Shady Grove Beagles wrote: Look at some human families that you know. They may have 4 sons and they may not look much alike at all and others are all a spitting image of each other.
Exactly. Have you ever seen some of the brothers and sisters of supermodels? Sometimes they have good looks too but more often than not they aren't so blessed. ;)
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!