Well it's that day again.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hare Hunter

Well it's that day again.

Post by Hare Hunter »

No, I wasn't talking about tax day, I was talking about free casting hounds in Michigan. Today is it until July 15th. Sure wish we had a running pen around here where a guy could run his dogs. Shutting them down for 3 months after 9 months of running causes some serious withdrawl for me and my dogs. Now only have a couple of trials to attend in that time but hard to keep dogs in shape. Thanks for letting me boo-hoo. Hare
Earl Holbrook

mybeagles

Closed Season

Post by mybeagles »

Earl, no luck getting a running permit, I know you have had them in the past?

Robert W. Mccoy Jr

Post by Robert W. Mccoy Jr »

:mad:

I can't stand that law.

There are alot of other states that run year around trouble free.

I wish Michigan would let us run.

Hare Hunter

Post by Hare Hunter »

mybeagles, the only running permits I have ever been able to get were for field trials such as the one we are having April 26th. They say they shut it down for the breeding season and baby animals, I say HOGWASH! We still were running on snow yesterday, I don't believe the dogs would bother small animals as much as the black flies and mosquitoes do, the DNR should outlaw them,LOL.
Earl Holbrook

ACOMEAU

Post by ACOMEAU »

Not trying to rub it in, but I can run year round here in NH. Season ended March 31st and I picked up my permit for $6.00 April 1st. and have run twice this week. That really stinks for you guys.
Take a Kid Hunting and Fishing

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Since it's been proven that 95% of nest predation comes from rat snakes and raccoons, it would behoove them to let the coondoggers and others doggers hunt, (and maybe cut a few mongoose loose, lol!) instead of letting the coons raid the nests and dropping more snakes down in the habitat. :dunce:

Robert W. Mccoy Jr

Your right Bev

But you can't tell people up here anything.
Most of them are non-hunters or worse yet Anti-hunters.

Were are getting too civilized.
Our New Governer is just the greatest :roll:

Oh well.

I need to move down south were people look at you funny when you don't have a dog box in your truck :D :lol:

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

Yes, we would look at you funny the first time you opened your mouth and if you didnt have a dog in the back of your truck. lol :lol: Down here in the Heart of Dixie, we only have to keep our dogs penned during spring turkey season. You can run at night, only after dark and not after 3am. In Tn, there are no laws at all. Run all you want except on WMA's. They have special seasons for that in late summer.
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

Robert W. Mccoy Jr

:D
I don't sound like a yankee. :cool:
I grew up spending my summers in Pigott AR.
Also I was stationed in Ft. Benning Ga.

I even know better than to ask for a pop :???:
And not to put Sugar on Grits :shock: :D

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

I have southern roots and you couldn't force-feed me grits - sugar or not... :puke: (shewee!)

Hare Hunter

Post by Hare Hunter »

Up here only our dogs have grit(s) LOL
Earl Holbrook

Post by Guest »

I hate this time of year also but ole harvhounds is going to give his fellow Michiganders a little insight.Last summer and fall i made a big effort to gain more running spots .I was able to get on a tree farm it wasn't easy as this guy had trouble with hunters in the past but he let me go and i worked hard to gain his trust and got rid of some rabbits for him.Well he got a permit from the MI DNR to get rid of rabbits year round.It's a really great place to run with lots of rabbits.Now my problem is I don't want to shoot off all the rabbits as I love running there he hates them for the crop damage they do.So I will have to shoot some of them to keep him happy but I think my aim will not be as good as in the winter.I intend to look for other tree farms to hunt this year.
harvhounds at work :D
ps I'm a yankee and proud of it and still love the folks from the south but you guys can keep the snakes as they give me the willies big time

Slaux

Slaux@up.net

Post by Slaux »

Hey guest, if I understood you correctly you better give that gunning rabbits during the summer time a second thought. A running permit only gives you the right to train dogs during the closed training season (April 15th - July 15th) on private property. It does not, and I repeat "not" give you the right to hunt during the closed hunting seasons. In fact if you read the permit it prohibits all hunting and trapping during any time of year, even by the land owner. Just a heads up so you don't get yourself in a bind. Happy beagling.

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Guest, after re-reading your post I misunderstood you. Your farmer friend obviously has a nuisance permit to get rid of the rabbits. Never heard of that before, other than for deer, but more power to you. Happy gunning.

Emery

Post by Emery »

Robert W. Mccoy Jr, I just spent the day in AR. Drove down from Poplar Bluff, MO to Jonesburough (sp???). We just signed a contract for a house in Dexter MO. I can assure you that this yankee won't have grits on the table if I have anything to say about it. I still shiver at the thought of my kids growing up with the southern drawl and saying y'all. :shock:

Swing, I yelled for you once I crossed the state line, but you must not have been listening... :D

Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32