spicer's blue back

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

SilverZuk wrote:

Does anyone have a good picture of Spicers Blueback they can post or send me?
Yes, I would also like to see a pic of Blueback and if anyone has the Rabbit Hunter article it would be cool if they would scan it and post it here or email it to me at jonnyringo@netscape.com
Thanks!
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."

Mclurkn3

Post by Mclurkn3 »

jonnyringo wrote:
SilverZuk wrote:

Does anyone have a good picture of Spicers Blueback they can post or send me?
Yes, I would also like to see a pic of Blueback and if anyone has the Rabbit Hunter article it would be cool if they would scan it and post it here or email it to me at jonnyringo@netscape.com
Thanks!
Me too!!!

carn

blue back

Post by carn »

i judged blue back many times once at the semi-finales at the world when he won.he was a good hound.it sounds like he produced better hounds than himself which is great.but to say he only lived 6 years is crazy he was a very old hound then.carl

jonnyringo

Re: blue back

Post by jonnyringo »

carn wrote:i .but to say he only lived 6 years is crazy he was a very old hound then.carl
Not that it really matters but now you have my interest peaked.

Tommy Oliver

Post by Tommy Oliver »

Country boy, I judged Blue Back on two occasions I can remember. He hunted hard enough to jump rabbits. He was a very good check dog, because he worked it correct, and never got hung out on it. Claimed them with that big booming mouth of his, and drove out on them with authority. Both times I had him he was already a Grand Champion. He beat some fine hounds both times, and looked good doing it. To sum him up he was a solid rabbit hound, and I would have loved to have hunted with him as I could have had a bag full of rabbits. He never lost his head, and ran his rabbit with good speed not blazing, but fast enough. Most of the pups I have seen out of him were ticked up some like him. I have never heard anyone say anything negative about what they owned out of him. Hope this helps you. I think you would be happy with pups out of his get down there in Ole Miss.

Tommy

jumpmaster

re

Post by jumpmaster »

If you do a search on here for blueback, I think there was a pic. of him posted not too long ago. Schag, you hit it right on with your post, on the blueback traits. They are for the most part, hard headed, but I think thats what makes them such good rabbit dogs. I ran with a male out of him, that was the best track, and check dog I have ever seen, but he didnt hunt hard, and handled terribly, but I thought about breeding to him anyway, because he was that good. I have seen many since that have very good hunt, and almost as good on track. Not every ones cup of tea, but I like them.

Bulletproof

Post by Bulletproof »

Just wanted to let all the fans of the Blue Back line know that I have a LPRCH for sale that is directly out of Blue Back, his name is Nealy's Blue Thunder and he is a real nice dog. I have bred him to all of the females that I thought would cross good and I am ready to let him go. Thunder placed twice at the Little Pack World and has the ability to win today. He is six years old and does a very nice job at the trials and under the gun. I have hunted with Dukes Dutch dog on cotton tails and hare and he is everything Joe says he is, tons of search all the heart you would want in a dog and at the end of the day he is a really nice hound. I would be happy to show Thunder in the field and the price is $500.
Jamie and Anthony Coburn
Dark Creek Kennel
513-876-9311
Beagles and English Setters

jonnyringo

Duke

Post by jonnyringo »

Duke,
I received the pitures and pedigree of Dutch today - Thanks!
I am going to scan these pics and post them here if you don't mind. Your hound is everything a rabbit dog should look like and you have a right to be darn proud of him. I am impressed. I sent Rick a $50.00 deposit on the female pup today. Can't wait to get her - feel like a kid before Christmas. :-)
Could you PM me his AKC number?
Thanks!
Ed

Duke

Post by Duke »

Thanks Ed, Sorry about the snail mail, maybe I'll move into the 21st Century next year. I am getting another picture of Dutch done with the rest of his World Trophies some time this month.

As for pictures of Blueback. The March 1997 issue Vol 11 No. 7 has a picture of Blueback in the article about Spicers Kennel. I saw and have around here somewhere the 1996 Rabbit Hunter where Blueback is on the cover. Needless to say if you call the Rabbit Hunter you can order both Back Issues, Just ask them for a copy with the World Hunt in 1996. They have been very helpful in sending backorders in an expediant manner.

As far as Blueback living 6 years, from Bert Spicers mouth Blueback died at 6 years old from a suspected Kidney Failure. He said Blueback was acting not himself one day and was dead the next. He did everything there was to do in Little Pack and has spawned a pretty good line of hounds. Thats all I know.

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

Duke wrote:
As far as Blueback living 6 years, from Bert Spicers mouth Blueback died at 6 years old from a suspected Kidney Failure. He said Blueback was acting not himself one day and was dead the next.
I suppose the owner of Blueback should know how old he was when he died. Thanks for clearing that up - not that it really matters - fact is he was a great hound and produced great hounds.
Jack, these are the pics you sent me and I scanned them and then uploaded them to Photobucket. Still not bad quality but the crease in the paper fold shows a bit. Hope you don't mind me posting these.
Dutch
Dutch
Bogus

Duke

Post by Duke »

Wow for scanning they turned out pretty good Ed. Blueback looked an awful ot like Bogus.

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

Your Dutch dog looks like one athletic ready to rumble hound.
Can't wait to get the female pup out of him and the Branko's Hard Rock dam. Should be an excellent cross. If all turns out I will breed her in a few years to this guy (Out of my double bred Branko's One Tuff Ombre pup):
Pike Ridge Max Tuffy
his brother Pike Ridge Calisto Caleb (Pepper) will be putting him up for sale soon. He shows good hunt and listens well - very loyal well mannered pup with great potentiel

beagler111

B;UEBACK

Post by beagler111 »

FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN YOU GUYS HIT IT ON THE HEAD. WE HAVE A MALE DIRECTLY OUT OF BLUEBACK. HE IS 9 YEARS OLD. HE STILL HUNTS AS HARD AS ANY DOG YOU HAVE EVER SEEN. GREAT CHECK DOG, CAN REALLY KEEP A RABBITT GOING.
WE HAVE DAUGHTER AND GRAND PUPS. THEY ARE ALL HARD HEADED AND HARD GOING. BUT WOULD RATHER HAVE A DOG I AM MAD AT ONCE IN A WHILE THAT DON'T WANT TO COME IN AS ONE THAT WON'T HUNT OR GET IN THE BRUSH. SOMEONE ELSE SAID IT BEST WHEN THEY SAID THE LONGER THE CHECK THE BETTER FOR A BLUEBACK DOG TO PICK IT UP. AS FAR AS ENDURANCE THEY HAVE NO QUIT 9 DEGREES OR 90 DEGREES. WE REALLYT LIKE THAT LINE.

Duke

Post by Duke »

Nice looking pups Ed, should be a great influx of hybrid blood to your kennel.

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

Duke wrote:Nice looking pups Ed, should be a great influx of hybrid blood to your kennel.

:cool: I like the way you put it "hybrid." Yes, they should be some hunting machines. With the brains that Branko put into his breeding and what I have read about Blueback and Dutch I think this semi-cross will be excellent. I say semi-cross because the bitch is out of Branko's Hardrock which is a super dog is his own rights from what I have read about him. The breeding is there. I am extrememly excited to aquire the female pup. Rick said his bitch looks like she is putting on weight. My fingers are crossed.

Regards,
Ed