Do you or would you give a trial on a dog!!!!!!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jon cornett

Do you or would you give a trial on a dog!!!!!!!

Post by jon cornett »

Had a discussion this evening with a beagling buddy on giving trials on hounds your selling. I dont mind giving trials to guys i know real well but from now on i think im just gonna have whoever wants to see the dog run go with me to a place of my choosing and watch the dog in question run by itself or with a dog or two of mine. Ive heard to many horror stories of dogs being trialed for a week or two that for some reason ran deer on them that didnt run them before, or came back gun shy or ive even heard of someone taking a dog on trial and breeding to the dog (a male) and bringing it back. whats everyones thoughts on this? thanks jon cornett

mountain man

Post by mountain man »

I normally only give a trial to people i know very well or hunt with otherwise we run until the person says yes or no .

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

I always give all the trial somebody wants, and if they bring the dog back in good shape, no questions asked. Hard to get on the other end of that, though, as I have taken some to try and one run showed me they ain't worth crap and the hopeful seller starts whining and making excuses. Lately I've just been giving the ones I don't want to keep to a dog jockey pal. Let him deal with it. The problem with buying one on a one run tryout is, it may not show you why it's for sale. Then you are stuck with a ghost runner, backtracker or quitter.

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

It depends on the dog and the person wanting the trial period.

danny vansickle

Post by danny vansickle »

I LET THEM TAKE THE DOG IF I KNOW THEM,IF NOT THEY CAN RUN WITH ME AND IF THEY WANT TO TAKE IT WITH THEM I HAVE THEM TO GIVE ME THE MONEY AND THEY CAN RUN IT ALL THEY WANT IF THEY DON'T LIKE IT,GIVE THE MONEY BACK.THAT WAY YOU CAN'T LOOSE ANYTHING IF THEY TRY TO NOT PAY OR HURT OR GET THE DOG KILLED.LETEM KNOW IF THEY DON'T BRING IT BACK IN SAME HEALTH AND ALIVE YOU KEEP CASH.

MasonsBeagles

s

Post by MasonsBeagles »

No trials. Can come run with me all they want. But I aint Wal Mart. If your not sure you want it dont buy it. There have been more good dogs ruined by idiots than Id care to count. There are more idiots out there buying dogs than not.

danny vansickle

Post by danny vansickle »

I MUST AGREE ON THAT THOUGHT TOO,THE BUYER MAY HAVE A DEER HAPPY HOUND IN HIS PACK THAT MAY MESS UP YOUR GOOD DOG.I MAY HAVE TO RETHINK MY POLICY ON TRIALS.THANKS MASON,GOOD LOOKIN OUT.

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

I run dogs for my neighbor quite a bit.
I tell him exactly what each dog is doing, what it needs, whether he needs to get rid of it as a pet, rabbit dog, or trial dog.

He had a medium speed male that made a good hunting dog, but didn't have the speed or use his mouth right for LP trials. I told him that he would make a good rabbit dog for someone, but not cut out for trials.
I hunted him with different dogs, different areas, gunned over him.
This means I spent a lot time a field with this dog.

He sold the dog the week before christmas. Two weeks later the guy brought him back and demanded his money back. They ended up trading him for another dog. The new owner said he didn't hunt, just walked around, and wouldn't go to or run with other dogs.
I went over when they traded and told them exactly what I knew about the dog. I told the guy, "I wanted to hear this from your mouth because I can't believe that this dog didn't do what I said."
They said, "Well, all he does is walk around."

I took the dog out the following weekends and it walked around. Once it finally got running it had a bad limp in a front foot.
I don't know what they did to the dog, but they damaged him. It took several months to get him going again with the pack and he never was up to his old self.

That is why I would only give a trial to certain people with conditions.

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

To someone I knew well, yes.
To all others, no.
I'd let them watch a broke dog run that I was selling.
I'd give him the pedigree on an unstarted pup and let him decide.
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."

eddywilliams

no

Post by eddywilliams »

Guys I LET EM GO ALL OVER ON MY WORD IF THEY WANT TO SEE IT GO THEN WE RUN THEM IF YOU HAVE RUN THE DOG AND HAVE TIME IN THEM AND YOU HAVE WELL BRED HOUNDS THEY WILL DO FOR THE BUYER WHAT THEY DO FOR YOU , IF YOU HAVE ONE THAT TAKES A WHILE TO WARM UP TO PEOPLE I TELL THEM THAT TO ,REMEMBER A LOT OF BUYERS DONT HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE TO KNOW HOW TO HANDLE A DOG NO MATTER WHAT YOU TELL THEM MOST WILL TAKE THE DOG THEN THE NEXT DAY HAVE THEM IN THE FIELD EXPECTING THE WORLD ,THEN THEY GET AGGRAVATED START YELLING AND MAYBE EVEN KICKING THE DOG OR WORSE YET SHOCKING IT FOR NO REASON IN A LITTLE AMOUNT OF TIME YOUR NICE HOUND LOOKS LIKE A CULL , [ DONT LET EM GO ON TRIAL EVEN IF THEY GIVE MONEY UP FRONT ] MY OPINION [THEY CALL ME FAST EDDY]

eddywilliams

no

Post by eddywilliams »

Guys I LET EM GO ALL OVER ON MY WORD IF THEY WANT TO SEE IT GO THEN WE RUN THEM IF YOU HAVE RUN THE DOG AND HAVE TIME IN THEM AND YOU HAVE WELL BRED HOUNDS THEY WILL DO FOR THE BUYER WHAT THEY DO FOR YOU , IF YOU HAVE ONE THAT TAKES A WHILE TO WARM UP TO PEOPLE I TELL THEM THAT TO ,REMEMBER A LOT OF BUYERS DONT HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE TO KNOW HOW TO HANDLE A DOG NO MATTER WHAT YOU TELL THEM MOST WILL TAKE THE DOG THEN THE NEXT DAY HAVE THEM IN THE FIELD EXPECTING THE WORLD ,THEN THEY GET AGGRAVATED START YELLING AND MAYBE EVEN KICKING THE DOG OR WORSE YET SHOCKING IT FOR NO REASON IN A LITTLE AMOUNT OF TIME YOUR NICE HOUND LOOKS LIKE A CULL , [ DONT LET EM GO ON TRIAL EVEN IF THEY GIVE MONEY UP FRONT ] MY OPINION [THEY CALL ME FAST EDDY]

warddog

Post by warddog »

I have sold my last dogs on trial when I quit coon hunting. Both of the last coondogs I had lacked just 5 points apiece of being NT. Champs that I let out on trial. One the male was to a young guy with a few bucks down and the female was to my friends son-in-law. The male came back a few nights later FLAT AS A PANCAKE and the female was never to be seen again. I got $500.00 out of the young guy on a $2500.00 dog and the female I never saw a penny on. I don't sell very many but when I do it will be described exactly as I have seen it do. If the dog sounds like it is something you like or you want then you are welcome to make arrangements to watch it run. If you decide to snap your lead to it then you will take that dog just as you take a wife, for better or worse, richer or poorer in sickness and in health until death do you part because that dog has already parted company with me. I will NEVER give a trial on another dog out of my sight.

BIG AL

Post by BIG AL »

I couldn't imagine buying a dog without a trial period unless I had ran with that dog several times in the past. I have seen way too many fellows that lie to their own self about their dog. How honest can I expect them to be with me.

eddywilliams

HONEST

Post by eddywilliams »

YUOR NOT DEALING WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE NOT ALL PEOPLE SELL DOG SCAUSE THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THEM

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

BIG AL wrote:I couldn't imagine buying a dog without a trial period unless I had ran with that dog several times in the past. I have seen way too many fellows that lie to their own self about their dog. How honest can I expect them to be with me.
Well then you'll lose out on many a fine dog. I just recently aquired a two year and 4 month old male from Eddy Williams that I didn't watch run. I am a pretty good judge of character and it paid off. This particular male is a hunting machine. I don't kow Eddy's secret but the dog hunts, runs, handles and is a great addition to my kennel. Thanks Eddy - I'll buy from you anytime on your word.
I am also a realist and realize there are people out there that will try to turn a buck at somone elses expense. That is life and one can only learn from experience. Usually those individuals are discovered out and don't do too good in the age of internet information.
Sometimes - you have to roll the dice.
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."