QUESTION

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

M&M

QUESTION

Post by M&M »

HAD AN OLD TIMER TELL ME HE WOULD NOT RUN DOGS AT NIGHT HE'S SEEN DOGS THAT HAVE STRUGGLED IN DAY HOURS BECAUSE THEY RUN ALOT AT NIGHT WHEN THE SCENTING IS BETTER. ANY OF YOU EVER HAD ANY TROUBLE.

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

Not if you run them a little here & there. If all you did was run in perfect conditions, then bring them to the driest warmest spot, yeah they'd have a prob... but again, in the summer, running at night is better than no running at all. IMO.

gus

Post by gus »

I wish you hadn't posted that opinion. That is another excuse dog jockeys will use to explain the poor performance of a worthless dog. ;)

I think the Ole Timer should have spent his time looking for better dogs. When I first got into beagling, 1970, my beagling friend and I ran our dogs almost every Friday night from the end of rabbit season until the next. During the season we hunted these dog almost every weekend. It never affected the running ability of any of them. I think running at night in the summer time closely resembles the scenting conditions in the daytime in winter.
Just another Ole Timers opinion. :)

M&M

Post by M&M »

IM GLAD TO HEAR THAT BECAUSE NIGHTS IS 75% OF MY HOUNDS RUN TIME

braden

Post by braden »

Alot of beaglerts don't run at night because there are a lot of off game that stirs at night and they're afraid of a good deer or fox race...lol

wingmaster

Post by wingmaster »

M&M WHERE U LOCATED. I'M IN EDINBURG, MAYBE WE CAN RUN TOGETHER SOMETIME.
ALAN

M&M

Post by M&M »

RIGHT UP THE ROAD IN MT. JACKSON.

Randy Phipps

Post by Randy Phipps »

Do you guys think that running mostly at night affects the hunt/search of a dog?
Feed and hunt what you like!

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I've been running my two 5 1/2 month old pups in the evenings. It is good for them learn in the dark. I usually run from 6:00 p.m. to about 7:30. But you still can't beat a good morning run.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

wingmaster

Post by wingmaster »

M&M,
ANYTIME YOU'RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO RUN WITH, GIVE ME A HOLLAR. I'M ALWAYS ANXIOUS TO SEE DOGS OTHER THAN MINE RUN.
ALAN
984-8672

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

I run my dogs so much at night, I often wonder if they can run one in the daylight :P

I run my dogs all year round, different conditions, different cover, different weather, different places, day, and night.
The more experience a dog has under different conditions, the better they will be. I think you would hurt a dog more by running in the same place over and over opposed to running at night at different places.

I have seen dogs (mine included) that know where the rabbits usually hang out in a place where we run frequently. You can cut the dogs looose, they run straight to the spot and then start to hunt. I tried to taking them to the opposite side of the property and they still run straight to the spots that they remember jumping the most rabbits.
I have heard people at trials say, "Oh great, we are going to that place. My dogs don't run brush too well because where I run is mostly open country." That should tell them they need to start working with their dogs in different conditions. I hope my dogs have just a good chance running anywhere instead of one type of condition.

I know my dogs can run sun, wind, rain, snow, in fields, briars, pines, hardwoods, clearcuts, and everything in between.
I take my dogs places with lots of rabbits, and places with few rabbits.
My dogs aren't the best, but they can run it where ever I take them.

I have seen dogs, particularly pups, that don't have good check work because of running too much in areas with lots of rabbits. The dog will hit a hard check, then start to go wide looking for that rabbit, or any rabbit to run.

A buddy of mine was cussing the other night because the scenting conditions were terrible. My response was, "Hey, the dogs will probably learn more tonight than last night. They have to slow down and really dig on the track instead of hitting it in a dead run."

Experience makes the dog.
How good of a driver do you think you would be if you only drove on dry straight roads in the day light? By experiencing different conditions as a driver makes you a better driver as a whole.

One downside to running at night is recognizing an off game chase.
When I have a young dog that I am not confident that will refuse off game, I only run daylight hours or in areas that I can closely monitor the dog at night (small brush piles with my tattle tale gip).

Another downside it that you can't see what the dogs are doing (faults like back tracking, mouthing in a check, etc.), but it still gives them more experience than sitting in the kennel. I work normal hours and can't run daylight hours during the week, so I run at night.

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

What I like about night runnin is you've got the woods to yourself most of the time!!!!!!!!!!

Crew Chief