Famous houndsmen quotes

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Famous houndsmen quotes

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

"I've never seen him do that before."
"That rabbit must have gone down a hole".
"He's got a wicked cold nose" --- after his hound had been booing around for ever and going nowhere.
" He didn't really want it" --- after catching his hound off a trash track.
"Bawl mouth dogs are slow and chop mouth dogs are fast".
"All he needs is a few more coons"
" What you feeding that dog?" -- " Rabbit tracks"

Years ago I was in Mississippi and got invited to spend several days hunting with T.C. Jones that owned the Cedar Hill Bluetick Kennel in Duck Hill.
We were going to take a hunt that night and T.C. had been bragging all day on a young female he had and what a tree dog she was and that he had just turned down $ 4,500.00 for her a couple nights previously.
T.C. was a pretty big name at the time and was running full page ads for his studs in the Full Cry magazine each month.I was feeling pretty nervous as I was young and my female Babe was a pretty nice hound but also young. I didn't know how she'd stack up against T.C.'s wonder hound.
We treed three coon that night and Babe had first strike and tree on all three.
We got back to T.C.'s house and he asked me what I'd take for Babe. I thought quick and said "$4,500.00
He just smiled and said "I wouldn't pay that much for a dog".
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Hippy

Post by Hippy »

Put down a dog that I was looking @ one evening when running him he ran for 15 minutes and quit barking---10-15 min later he hit a trac but U could tell it was a good 1/4 mile from where he lost it----I asked if it was the same rabbit his answer was "Rabbit was running on posted property-dog did not want to get caught"

We both laughed NO I did not buy the dog

JIm
"Today is the 1st DAY,of the rest of your Life"

Mike McPherson

Post by Mike McPherson »

That is one of the funniest I have heard. Smart dog to be able to read those poster signs. LOL
Hunt-Em-Up Kennels