Famous houndsmen quotes

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

TomMN

Famous houndsmen quotes

Post by TomMN »

This board is getting pretty seriuos lately, time for something more fun. Saw this subject on another board and it was a good one. What are some of the best sayings about hounds and hunting you have heard?

My hunting buddy has one he uses when the dogs are out boo-hooing and not getting anything done and someone says something about how cold nosed they are.

"Cold Nosed? That aint a cold nose, that's a small brain!!"

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

Jay Johnson walked into the club house one morning and said, "Boys I've been had - the DNR caught me last night."

People looked and someone said, "What did they get you for?"

He said, "I was running my dogs and they caught the woods on fire burning a rabbit up."

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

Dog trader ads:

Lightly started – means it was put in a training pen a few times and rabbits ran by it, the dog did nothing.

Started – means that the dog has run a couple rabbit, but runs deer like a pro.

Will refuse a deer – means will run the hair off of a fox and house cat.

Tons of hunt – Means you will turn the dog out, it will immediately run three ridges over, out of range of you shock collar. You may never see the dog again.

No extra mouth – means the dog won’t bark

Squall mouth – means the dog will only bark if you step on it, or close its tail in the dog box.

Bawl mouth – means the dog howls in the kennel all night.

Kennel Reduction – wife says I have too many dogs and will leave me if I don’t sell some.

Selling Out – wife already left me because I wouldn’t sell dogs, now I have to sell to pay lawyer (he won’t take dogs on trade).

Linebred – means my old best rabbit dog bred one of his pups in the dog box.

Free puppies – Neighbor’s dog dug into my beagle pen and bred my best gip.

Rabbit dog deluxe – I’ve tried to give this dog to everyone I know and no one would take her. She cold trails and is slow.

Some conformation faults – So ugly you can only run at night because you will be made fun of.

Superb gun dog, trial dog, extra foot, no extra mouth, superb line control, and handles great $150 – means the seller is liar.

Looking for superb gun dog, with extra foot, no extra mouth, superb line control – Means he wants to buy the best but hasn’t realized yet that he isn’t going to find that type of dog for $150.

Pup out of [insert old famous dog here] x [insert old famous dog here] – means that he was told that is what the dog was out of, but neither dog shows up on an 8-generation pedigree.

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

Now That There's Funny,, Silver!!!!! I like the first four best!!!!

Crew Chief

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

In regards to conformation .(which I love a houndy looking dog) I bought a pup from a guy he asked what my preferenc was in regards to markings. I told him"tri color but more important send a pup that can run rabbits"
the quote I now use is "Pretty don't run rabbits"

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

Which leads to the quote "Papers don't run rabbits"

marr24

Post by marr24 »

Silver, I don't know your proffesion but if those are from the top of your head and you are not a comedian your in the wrong business. Thats some good stuff there. :lol:
My favorite qoute would be "When the tailgate drops the bull<*%^ stops. Truer words were never spoken.

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

marr24 wrote: My favorite qoute would be "When the tailgate drops the bull<*%^ stops. Truer words were never spoken.
If you beleive the tailgate one, you have never been to a trial. That is when the BS starts [laughing].

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

My buddy told me one time about another local buddy. Don't buy a dog from him because if it was worth a darn, and was all he said it was, he wouldn't be selling it. :shock:
Potential is a bad thing it means you have not done anything yet.

All the tools to be a great one= Four legs, two ears, paperwork, a mouth to feed, and bowels to shovel behind.

I'll mail you the paperwork next week ! We all know what that means. :roll:
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

JIMMIE ABSHIRE

Post by JIMMIE ABSHIRE »

Not mouthy has big nose, runs a rabbit like he is tied to it. Must of went in a hole . dewpoint is too low , Barometric pressure is raising. Wind is out of the east running is the least, west the best. Must of went in hole again. Has got to be a female rabbit. She just came out of heat cant smell. I think we have all used our bag of excuses one time or another.[/b]
Old school Northway . Full Throttle no Bottle.

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

I run my dogs 4 hours a day, 5 days a week.

(all the dogs are fat as hogs and toe nails so long they are curled under).

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

" Went to a hole" Hmmmmmmm I have heard that a thousand times... Put that one in the hole too.... Geez these rabbits just won't stay up.... Whats wrong with them....

Scenting is bad.
Your friends best dog "look how rough he is"
dogs are running like it was a sight chase all day.
Head high running every time out! BS
hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Dogs pounded all day long..... :cool:
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

he/she is official 13" or 15"
Translation in most cases = 13 1/2" 0r 15 1/2"

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Must not have been enough shot in that shell.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels