Famous houndsmen quotes

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bill huttozac

Re: Famous houndsmen quotes

Post by bill huttozac »

Heck yeah, this is a good "jump dog". He or she can jump a rabbit on Wal-Mart Parking lot on a Saturday afternoon.

scott calkins

Post by scott calkins »

the best saying that an old coon hunter i still respect and admirer like a grand father told me and taught me was. YOU CAN FEED A GOOD DOG FOR THE SAME PRICE AS A BAD DOG SO WHY FEED ANYTHING BUT GOOD ONES. so true papa vern. :D
I will not follow where the path may lead; but I will go where there is no path, and leave a trail. LORD HELP ME BE THE PERSON MY DOG THINKS I,AM!!!

Cannonball08

Re:

Post by Cannonball08 »

Matt Glomski wrote:A houndsman that I have GREAT respect for told me this one time.

"All hounds (dogs) have the same amount of nose, some just have more desire to run a smaller amount of sent"

Right or wrong I have learned alot from that statement.
I like that Matt!

This is a great post, Rick G. once said...

" A electrician can have all the right tools in his belt to do the job, but if he don't have the BRAINS to use them then what good is it having any tools? Same goes with dogs"
Check out my website@

Cannonball Kennels

george pirman

Post by george pirman »

In competition "Watch out for the guy that uses bailing twine for a dog lead!"

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Larry Perry, who I respect greatly, says of a nice hound "That is one bad cat!" I laugh when I hear him say it.

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

bigdogpace wrote:was hunting with ayoung man 1 time his dog was babbling i told him if u cut his tail off he will stop that and n aminute he said how much do i cut off i said right behind his collar lol .
i herd that this weekend told to a guy named kenny martin :lol:
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

smitty46

Post by smitty46 »

The dog can run the same rabbit from sun up to sum down---- and so fast he does it in a hour and half!

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

A great friend of the family use to say to me, Jr. he isnt worth the price of a shell, but make sure that 5 cent shell is the last money you put into him.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

mobeagle

Post by mobeagle »

One of the best hunters I ever ran hounds with told me this years ago ' A hound is only as fast as his nose will allow him to be'.
Take your kids huntin and you wont have to hunt for your kids.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

scott calkins wrote:the best saying that an old coon hunter i still respect and admirer like a grand father told me and taught me was. YOU CAN FEED A GOOD DOG FOR THE SAME PRICE AS A BAD DOG SO WHY FEED ANYTHING BUT GOOD ONES. so true papa vern. :D
I agree with this saying and have even used it myself to several of my hunting buddies that feed what I would call culls... :lol:

il_beagle_boy

Post by il_beagle_boy »

I didnt read through all of them but i always liked the you could breed that dog to collie and get a rabbit dog

sicososbe

Post by sicososbe »

Run Your Dog Not Your Mouth :dance:

MasonsBeagles

Post by MasonsBeagles »

BTT to kill the time.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Folks always asking me,, D.R. how did you get that dog to do that?

MY Reply Always has been, "You must be Smarter than the Hound" !

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<> :check:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Newt

Post by Newt »

I once, with a friend, went on about a three hour trip to the middle of NC. A well known beagler had some "started" year old females for sale, $300.00 each. I was interested because they were similar bloodlines as mine.
We drove up and a young man came out with a note book and the first thing he said, "I guess you want to see the pedigrees. I said, I want to see them in the field. He replied, the dogs belong to my Dad and he is seventeen miles from here. I said,OK lets go. Then he said, I'll tell you, there are few rabbits in this area, the hawks and yotes have about cleaned them out.
When we got to his Dad's place and turned them out, the dogs acted like they had never been in the field. All they did was follow us, never attempted to hunt, and had no idea the meaning of voice commands. Then he turned loose an old Dingus McRae male that immediately jumped a rabbit and proceeded to circle it. The pups paid no attention and continued with their wandering.
The seller then said, I've never been so embarrassed. I had no idea Dad's pups were like this.