Purina Hi Pro

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jlboomer

Purina Hi Pro

Post by jlboomer »

Any guys feeding it whats your thoughts on it thanks alot.
J&M Beagles, Breeding for a true gundog and hunting partner

frankie14001

Post by frankie14001 »

i fed it a couple of years ago and did not like the results dogs look bad plus alot of waste
frank

full circle kennel

Post by full circle kennel »

i along with a few friends have had trouble feeding this food over the past year. pm me and i can tell you more if you would like to know. i wouldn't feed it if it was free; if that helps.

danny vansickle

Post by danny vansickle »

i feed it to my young dogs and brood bitches and i feed pro plan performance to my trial dogs,if i could offord it i would feed all pro-plan.i have not had any problems with hi pro.
DVS ink Kustom Tattoos and Body Piercings
"SOUTHERN OHIO'S ONLY ONE STOP TATTOOS AND PIERCINGS HEAD SHOP "
740-285-1911
FC HOWARDS BANDIT

jeff

Post by jeff »

lots and lots of waste

Briarhoppers

Post by Briarhoppers »

I tried Hi-Pro and was not pleased w/ it. I tried to give it a chance and the dogs a while to get used to it and the results did not change. The main thing is as others have stated - tons of waste. My dogs also had loose and runny stools that were bright yellow. Even after about 3 - 4 weeks on it, their stools never firmed up, so I switched....trying to clean running poop in pea gravel kennels is no fun.
-pete
PUCKETT CREEK RABBIT HOUNDS
http://our-southern-roots.com/

DELTADOG

Post by DELTADOG »

How much is pro plan performance a bag...

Big Dog

pro plan

Post by Big Dog »

ProPlan is expensive, the best way to buy pro plan is to get it at PETCO, they normally have it on sale for 24.99 but if you joine the PALS club, they will give you a free bag every time that you buy ten bags. In addition to this you should also join the Purina Pro Club. You collect the weight circles from the bags of dog food and send them in to get checks toward the purchase of dog food. I had 700 lbs worth of chips over the last 8 months and sent it in to get 70.00 worth of free dog food vouchers. I know some don't like Petco because they support PETA, but I have to do what is best for the wallet.
Black and Tans, Blue Ticks, and a few others bringing smoke

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

I really like black gold just hard to come by, Hi -Pro works for me I just have to feed a little more when its cold , i think high-pro is great summer time food. Purina performance is too high for me . I am actually thinking about becoming a black gold sales rep. They have good food, dogs do well off of it. Several people have ask me too handle it , just more traffic for me .
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

DELTADOG

Post by DELTADOG »

How much does the black and gold run.. I currently spend about 15.00 dollars a bag, have to many dogs to get much higher than that...

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Black bag black gold probaly 17.00 a bag , that is bought at my house.
I am paying 18.00 for hi pro now.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

I fed Purina Hi Pro and Pro Plan for about 5 yrs. The Pro Plan in my opinion was the best food to feed, but even with the rebates its still pretty high, when you are feeding a lot of dogs, which in my case is 7. Which for me is a lot of dogs. Seemed to me that the Hi-Pro was inconsistent at times. Some bags they would do good on and sometimes it seemed they was way too much waste.

A couple friends convinced me to try Black Gold. I like what I am seeing so far, dogs look slick and healthy even when I am running them hard. I live close to Jimmie, so its hard to come by around here as well. I usually have to drive a little distance to buy it, but I buy about 300-400 lbs at a time. I give about $16 a bag for the Black 26/18.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

full circle kennel

Post by full circle kennel »

right now i'm running a comparison dog food on dog food 3 hounds fed premium type the others are 5 are feed joy /super meal/ as rec by my vet. he is really into the nutrtion thing and is adament on joy super meal only.not their other feeds. the other feeds i have tried against the joy are buckeye super bits and pro kennel and they just finished the bag of proplan 30/20 performance. without alot of detail i'm not pleased with any of the premiums that i tried proplan being the worst.the price just doesn't offset the differance in performance of the dogs.my newest test will be with "national" a dog food feed to sled dogs. they are shipping it right to the house at 35 a bag. it is 34/20. however the joy is 15 a bag and is really suprising me. the dogs that i have on it love it and i have had good results so far.

Wilson Creek Cody

Post by Wilson Creek Cody »

we have fed hi pro for about two years. we was feeding diamond and since we switched dogs seem to maintain weight better, look better, and seem to have more energy. i really like it and dont have any plans on switching.
Run em' till they melt

pztrailman

Post by pztrailman »

full circle kennel
Just curious if this is what you are feeding. I am feeding the 24/20, not that happy with the last few bags. The super meal ingredients aren't that impressive.

JOY SUPER MEAL is formulated for hard-working dogs in a nutrient dense 26% Protein and 15% Fat diet. This complete and balanced food provides improved digestibility and increased energy. Enriched with balanced Omega 6 & 3 fatty acids to ensure a healthy skin and coat and naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols for your dog’s well being. The bite-sized textured nuggets can be fed right from the bag. If fed wet, water is absorbed readily without the food becoming pasty.

JOY SUPER MEAL offers excellent result at a great value and is a favorite with many breeding kennels.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient
by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles

CALORIE STATEMENT
Metabolizable Energy (ME) = 3,790 KCAL/KG 395 KCAL/Cup (Calculated)

INGREDIENTS
Ground Yellow Corn, Meat and Bone Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal , Corn Gluten Feed, Flaxseed Meal, Natural Flavor, Salt, Choline Chloride, Mineral Supplement (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Vitamin Supplement (Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D-3), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement).

AAFCO STATEMENT
JOY SUPER MEAL Dog Food is Formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages