Size & speed

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

Rabbits run different in different places. We run in SC a lot in places where they will run about like a grey fox. I like a fast pack for that. We also run in 50 acre enclosures where the rabbits are run by somebody most every day. They dodge, double, and run the paths which are bare red clay. They squat and let the dogs go right by them, and then go back the way they came. I've seen it a thousand times. Fast dogs in there on a bad scent day are just about useless. If you don't believe it, I sincerely invite you to bring yours (anybody) and I will put them on rabbits (all you want) for you and we will stay all day if you like. Lunch is on me. If your pack of 5 holes or catches one so is your gas money.

burbba

Post by burbba »

I 100% agree/believe fast dogs on a bad scent day would be less than stellar in those situations. I dont know that any dog would look stellar running a rabbit on bare red clay. And yes, pen rabbits do get smart!

9 out of 10 times our dogs catch a rabbit is either injury or the rabbit tried to squat and they didnt over run him... Ours typically arent fast enough to make them run for their lives, so they dont hole up but so often. you also have to get in the bushes to kill them, thats why we dont kill as many as some. We sure do get some nice long runs though!

This is a much better conversation

BJK

Post by BJK »

Larry G wrote:We also run in 50 acre enclosures where the rabbits are run by somebody most every day. They dodge, double, and run the paths which are bare red clay. They squat and let the dogs go right by them, and then go back the way they came. I've seen it a thousand times. Fast dogs in there on a bad scent day are just about useless.

Larry,

If it was a colder time of the year in SC I would take you up on your offer. Too many snakes, skeeters, gators and things that go bump in the night. Yes, everyone knows that I run the "Crain dogs" But, I also run the Awful Bawlin dogs too. Many haven't seen them, but I have countless stories of these dogs looking very good on bad scenting days. I'll tell you of one.

It a was cold, dry, and windy day in Janurary of this year. I was running my big males. AB Bud, Irish Mist, Hell Razor, a couple of bitches, AB Help Me Not and Honey Hole. Also on this trip was Townline's Christmas Spirit and War Paint, a Crain male. Scenting was tough, almost non-existent. The AB dogs buckled down on the track and drove it when they could and backed it down when they had to. The dogs jumped every rabbit, we killed 9 out of 10. All were circled. I didn't think much of it, of course I like hard driving uninterrupted chases. That day there were plenty of breakdowns and when you thought it was over, Bud would say the band is still playing. My buddies were more impressed than I was. They bragged on my dogs. Now understand these guys are very competitive and say nothing good about anyone else's dogs other than there own. But this day they saw my pack on a bad day do what needed to be done.

All my life I've been looking for dogs that run with a "Controlled Rage" I didn't breed them but I have them. They have excellent hunt and jump rabbits, they have very good noses, very good mouths, a head full of sense and are able to adjust their speed to the conditions. Bottom, Stamina, Endurance what ever you want to call it, it's bred into them. Don't get me wrong, they're not perfect nor were they cheap but a good investment and as close to perfection as I've been in a long time. They're good on a bad day, now imagine what they're like on a good day ;)

Thanks Mr. Monkman.

burbba

Post by burbba »

BJK, I'm in the same area as you. We've actually met once. The last few weeks of hunting season was real tough. Ice, snow and 20 degree highs... that and we had a warm spell right before it and I think some had started breeding... so finding rabbits out and about was tough at best. We were still able to run some rabbits, when others couldnt. Might not have been pretty, but they got run, and we killed rabbits every trip.

It really is nice to see the dogs gear down and walk it if they have to, to keep it moving. More checks than normal, harder to jump than normal, but they CAN do it. We gotta get your burners out and hunt 1/2 a day with us sometime, as long as you dont mind a 1/2 day of some medium speed dogs! I'll send you a PM.

BJK

Post by BJK »

Matt,

A good dog is good dog. As long as they aren't "walking and talking" :)

burbba

Post by burbba »

Whatever it takes to keep em moving! as long as its moving!!!

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Nate I have already invited you to Rocky Mount and you can bring Burbba with you, one of you run half a day, the other the rest of the day. You guys let me know I'll take care of lunch. I also like to watch good dogs.

burbba

Post by burbba »

i'm sure we can work something out at some point

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

BJK I never heard of the Crain beagles. Could you post some info? Here is a link to some beagles not too far from me I would like to see.

http://lanelinebeagles.zoomshare.com/0.html

I wouldn't mind having some AB stuff myself but I only keep small and I think most of them come big.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

You guys set a time and a place to meet and I'll come to you, but this won't happen after August 15th, I'll be running mine every chance I get then for the hunting season with no time to watch someone elses. Let me know. James Best

burbba

Post by burbba »

I hear ya. My summer is PACKED full right now. Selling a house, bought a house, gotta move, etc... then throw in the in-laws have a place on the bay. Hard not to go there when its nice and warm, and the crabs are big and sweet!