Size & speed

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

coolbrze

Size & speed

Post by coolbrze »

I used to run a med. speed hound, mostly 13" class. Now I run fairly quick dogs but both 13" & 15"ers, more the latter. I'm thinking of keeping most of what I have and adding some med. speed hounds, enough for a couple packs.

Does anyone here own 2 diff. speed packs? I'm not talking about running them together, just having enough for a couple fast packs and a coupld med. speed packs.
Playboy Kennels - Got rabbit? ~ (703) 989-4079 ~ PlayboyKennels@gmail.com

Home of FC OTIS' BIG JOHN

Past home of FC DEATON'S BO & FC DEVIL'S HOLE HONEY BEE

burbba

Post by burbba »

if you go on espo board, I know rhunt1 (randy pinkleton) runs 2 different packs all season long. He runs 2 packs of 12 dogs each. He runs a fast pack and a upper medium pack.

He'll hunt them 1/2 a day each, 5 days a week. If you've never hunted with him, that man hunts HARD!!!!

I'm in good shape and he wears me out!

rock pushin rabbit hunter

Post by rock pushin rabbit hunter »

I run2 fast dogs together and 2 medium speed dogs together.Iknow 2 dogs doesn't qaulify as a pack,but they show me plenty of rabbits.
Home Of
LPGRCH LPBCH 2013 Ky. State Ch. Winner Dixie Drivin' Big Show
LPGRCH 2012 Autism Hunt Winner Hicks' Edge
LPGRCH Watts Rabbit Traitor
LPRCH LPBCH Longwoods Krusher
LPRCH Cave Run Josie

swing

Post by swing »

I would think Ringtail would be the man to ask bout this one. :shock:
Trent

No one plans to Fail, they fail to Plan

danny vansickle

Post by danny vansickle »

swing wrote:I would think Ringtail would be the man to ask bout this one. :shock:
ding.....ding...... :bash:
DVS ink Kustom Tattoos and Body Piercings
"SOUTHERN OHIO'S ONLY ONE STOP TATTOOS AND PIERCINGS HEAD SHOP "
740-285-1911
FC HOWARDS BANDIT

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

burbba wrote:if you go on espo board, I know rhunt1 (randy pinkleton) runs 2 different packs all season long. He runs 2 packs of 12 dogs each. He runs a fast pack and a upper medium pack.

He'll hunt them 1/2 a day each, 5 days a week. If you've never hunted with him, that man hunts HARD!!!!

I'm in good shape and he wears me out!
I've talked to Randy a few times, seems like a nice guy, but never hunted w/ him. He does hunt a lot, he's sent me some pics and they run a lot of rabbits. I'm seriously thinking of running 2 diff. speed packs, I miss med. speed like I used to run but no way am I giving up the adrenalin rush of what I have now!

bill (flint river )

Post by bill (flint river ) »

the only thing i see a promblem with is time..... if u have the time it should work out.

Air Force Ken

Post by Air Force Ken »

Steve

I have hunted with Randy a couple times. He has VERY GOOD dogs and kills a TON of rabbits. His A pack is more of a upper medium and his B pack is solid Medium. Since you and I hunt together you know what I am talking about. My Brandy and Jessie dogs would run well with his A pack if that gives you a measuring stick.

Kenyon

burbba

Post by burbba »

His A pack is WELL above medium, but is not LP speed, and his B pack is UPPER medium, too fast and loose for SPO. He sells me and my hunting group dogs that are too conservative for him, and we run UBGF style dogs, which to many is medium. We've hunted together for a couple years now. Your right, he does kill a ton of bunnies. Broke his own record this past year.

You wont find a more honest guy about what a dog can and cannot do than randy. Steve if your looking for some medium speed dogs, I can help you find some. Just let me know what you want and i can put you in touch with some good guys.

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

Thanks Matt, I might take you up on that. I'm sure speed is relative, I've never run w/ Randys dogs but Kenyons run w/ mine for a couple years now. I'll be in touch if I decide to go that route. Thanks again.

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

If all you got are some fast hot nosed dogs you are always watching the weather forecast hoping for some cool damp days so they can run. If all you got are med speed it gets pretty boring. 2 packs is the way to go. To me a pack is at least 10 hounds cause I like to hear em make the hollers ring, and I'm hard of hearing. ;) So I would say 20 good uns would be about right. On paper anyway :lol:

burbba

Post by burbba »

You could always get a couple med speed started dogs from Tony for a good price. Most of his are on the slower end of what we run (from what I've seen) but he sells well started dogs at a very fair price.

Randy will have stuff for sale a little steppier than tony but nowhere near what your running now. We can get you down and watch ours run sometime soon (if not the fall) and go from there if you want.

I like hunting with randy's dogs, they can really push a rabbit and push him hard. They arent the fastest things out there but they PUSH them HARD and quick. I like hunting with faster dogs, but for some reason I prefer medium/upper medium speed dogs for the day to day stuff.

We run big nosed dogs, so weather plays zero/very little part in our hunting days. We hunt in snow, wind, dust, doesnt matter. We run anywhere from 5-10 at a time. We'll never kill 15+ a day due to the cover at our hunting grounds.

congrats on bo's latest win.

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

I've known for a long time that everybody but me has big nosed dogs so the weather don't make any difference. Funny but when I buy one of them he loses the big nose and becomes just like all the others I have seen in 55 plus years of following hounds :roll:

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Larry I also haven't in 35 years been able to breed or buy anything that could always run though I have seen bunches that could always bark. My cousin used to have basset hounds that couldn't run some days.

Larry G

Post by Larry G »

All my buddies dogs can run in any kind of weather and catch or hole up every one they jump EXCEPT when I go along and I have quit running with some of them because I'm tired of hearing the excuses they trot out over and over... She must be comin in heat.... didn't eat a bite yesterday... she's bad wormy... them ear mites is botherin her bad.... I gotta switch dog food, that Diamond has ruint most of mine... she don't act shy like that with just me... it ain't backtracking if you didn't see the rabbit!