Merle Crain Information on Dog sold to Mike Cron Needed

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

trackman

Liability for ratings

Post by trackman »

Little dog,
I am not sure about the liability laws on slander/libel in your state, but I know here in this state you are not liable for published OPINIONS, and truth is the first and best defense. Also the only people liable are the people who write the posts, not the forum administrator or owner. Just as I am myself liable for everything I said about Merle, but I am not worried one bit about it, because I know it is the truth. Now if there was a forum like that, all one would need to do is not allow any anonymous posts, we would all have to be responsible for our own posts. I would think most breeders who are responsible would be more than happy to see themsleves on such a forum, they would have nothing to worry about. Those breeders that are ripoffs and dog traders of course would hate it. Lets face it nobody likes to see the truth when it hurts.
YEP THATS ME I WROTE IT-----------SUE ME------- Michael Cron

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

go to my message board and start some posts on bad breeders and sellers and kennels if you like. personally i think thats a very good idea. kinda like if your gonna buy a new TV, you might look thru the newest CONSUMER REPORTS issue and see what they say about the model you want. the address for my board is: http://pub15.bravenet.com/forum/show.ph ... 1256551259

dont hold back, but please only the truth and sign your full name so we can keep this honest. also, start some posts about honest kennels and people, so people know where to look for a reputable person. list their location to help save people time. this should be a good thread.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

trackman, & others: I think you'd be surpised how a badly a rating system would backfire. I would wager to say that less than 10% of beaglers out there are computerized. I don't think you're going to get a good cross section or representation of the majority that way. The 10% of any group is not qualified to speak for the other 90%, much less lay down the law about who's reputable and respectable and who's not. Same way with rating dogs. Now factor in the people who are never pleased with anything and those who would happily tarnish an otherwise good person or business because of a personal disagreement. The whole idea of of a rating system is an invitation to a mud-slinging party, and I feel like everytime a person "throws mud" he "loses ground". The whole thing smacks of a witch hunt to me.

I can guarantee that no one in this entire member list of the message board would want to take his/her turn in the chair - up against the scrutiny and the mercy of whoever wants to sign on and type something. All that's reuired for registering for any board is a valid e-mail account and you can get one of those for free, every 5 minutes all day long. It won't feel like such a good idea if the shoe is ever put on the other foot.

Let me give you an example of how slanted things can become on one of these computer boards. Someone casually reading this board would get the impression that a large percent of The American Beagler subscribers don't get their magazines half the time. The real truth of the matter? The part they don't see? The actual statistics, that's what. Between those that post a missing magazine here, and the phone calls I get throughout the month, (and throw in the e-mails, too) I might have to replace 10 magazines a month. Sometimes even less. When you consider I mail about 4500 out, I would consider .002 % a pretty good record considering I get no guarantees from the postal service.

I expect a portion of them will get lost, damaged or otherwise won't reach their destination each month. I can live with .002% magazine replacement expenses, but it never feels good when it's your magazine that was lost, torn, delayed, etc. I understand that, and that's why I am always happy to replace a magazine. I know what the true figures are because I have the entire mailing list in front of me - not 10%. I wouldn't be very happy if this board were the only place a person had to form an opinion about the delivery of magazine.

blackdirt beagles

im not lookin for a witch hunt here :roll: but i sure would think twice now about doing business with merle crain. ive heard a couple stories on him before and thought that yea 1 or 2 incidents are to be expected with all the dogs he moves, but now it seems that there is quite a few incidents :shock: . im not trying to blacklist anyone, and if anyone who has bought a dog from me would like to respond about me, go for it, i have nothing to hide. my thinking on selling dogs has always been: you might as well be honest because unless you are dealing with a complete moron, the truth will come out real quick in the field, so why lie? its just a waste of time. in the last year or so, i have sold about 5 or 6 running dogs. i have never got one back that was on trial and never got one complaint that i know of. all im saying is that maybe its time that there is a list of dishonest people to look at. it might make traders think twice.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Brian, if you want to do that on your board that is your business. You know I won't tell you what to do. ;) The folks who want to use it, or put creedence to it will be there. My only advice is be careful what you wish for.... :shock:

I'm glad you've had success in your selling of dogs, but anyone who stays into beagling very long as a breeder, trader, competitor, handler, transporter, or even a magazine editor will eventually pi$$ somebody off. Nobody is excluded from the odds, and Murphy's Law says it will be the person that no matter what you do, you can't make it right for them, and they will go to their graves with it. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. :neutral:

wvrabbithunter

Post by wvrabbithunter »

THE ONLY POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE WAS ON E-BAY IT WORKS GRATE,IF A MAN HAD 10 SELLS AND ONLY ONE COMPLANT I WOULD BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT THE COMPLANT WAS MAYBE IT WAS NOT A TIMELY DEAL, BUT I CAN SEE HOW IT COULD GET OUT OF CONTROLFRANK

WCCK

Post by WCCK »

Good point Bev. I have an example of what you are talking about.
Two years ago I had a guy who wanted to buy his first beagle. He was big into PKC Coon Hounds and seemed to have some knowledge of what a beagle should do. He watched the dogs run for four hours here at my place and just had to have two. He took them home and the very next night turned them loose on a 250 acre farm several miles from his house. He then left and returned at noon the next day. He called me three days later upset that he couldn't find his dogs. He was really unhappy when I told him the dogs I had sold him were smarter than he was!!
Do you think my name would have been added to the list of unacceptable people to buy a dog from? Just my two cents.
Scott Wade

bob huffman

Post by bob huffman »

Excellent example Scott.

Little Dog

Post by Little Dog »

Those are good counter points to the ratings system. It would also be a nightmare to setup and people that have good dealings are less likely to rate a trader than someone mad. I guess if the dogs were sold on the net it could work like e-bay. Nevertheless, I would put in good comments. I've not bought from that many breeders, and I have not had such horrible experiences.
"The best dog is the dog that pleases you the best"

blackdirt beagles

i know it aint gonna be perfect (or pretty :shock: ) but im gonna try it and see how it goes. who knows, maybe 5 people will put me on there :-o . i guess it will be what the beaglers make it. besides bev, most of my ideas are crazy anyway, but every so often one of them is actually good :lol: remember my puppy raffle that i got blasted over? i thought that was a great one, but a few idiots ruined it. oh well.

wingpatch

he can fix anything

Post by wingpatch »

If you really want to get this whole mess straitend out, there is just one person that we all know very well that can handle it, Ever post that he has anything to do with ends up with someone giveing end to his way of thinking. By the time he gets done with those dog crooks they will give back all the dishonest money thet have made off everone just to shut him up. ;)

MasonsBeagles

da te da duuuu

Post by MasonsBeagles »

DA TE TA DAAA

IT LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR JOE WEST>

Dont take offense joe i enjoy your posts.

wingpatch

????

Post by wingpatch »

It aint just any Joe that could take care of them dog jocky crooks.
When our Joe gets done with them they wont know, COME HERE FROM SICKUM :oops:

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Here's a good one. Just talked to some friends of ours that breed 2 or 3 litters a year. Good folks. They accepted a $50 deposit on a pup two years ago and when the litter was ready to wean, they called the guy. He told them something had come up and he couldn't take the pup right now, but to hang on to the $50 call him if they did another breeding later on they thought he might like. He was called on the next 5 litters and each time the man had some reason why he couldn't take a pup right then.

This Saturday, he called Mr. Breeder and told him he was ready for a pup. They explained that they didn't have any litters ready at the moment - they'd made it clear that they only breed a couple of times a year for their own purposes and sell the extras. He was pleasant to Mr. Breeder and said he understood. When Mrs. Breeder got to work today and checked her e-mail, there was a nasty message from him to the tune of, "Do you folks make a habit of taking people's deposit money and not coming thru with a pup?" She promptly fired an e-mail back asking for his mailing address. She said she would return his lousy fifty-bucks and would not sell him a pup now or in the future.

I have no doubt he's told everyone he knows that they take deposit money and then either don't do the breedings or don't come thru with pups. I think most beaglers are straight up, but there are some real jerks out there and you can find them on both sides of the negotiation table. Age doesn't seem to be a factor, either.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

The creek runs both ways. I smell a pump and dump board coming. Been running into some bad stocks that way, as of late.lol. They say, never try to catch a falling knife, lesson learned :oops: ...Patch