Merle Crain Information on Dog sold to Mike Cron Needed

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bowhunter59

vmn

Post by bowhunter59 »

i have learned that if u dont see it run dont buy it!!!and that merle will dodge u like crazy if u have a problem and that if a magazine promotes him after it becoming a known fact that he is like that i will not renew my sub. which i'm sure wont hurt anything but i do have a few friends!
god is so good!

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

bowhunter59, I'm sorry you see it that way. Every month on the Table of Contents of The American Beagler are the following statements:

"The American Beagler and Print Communications, Inc. assume no responsibility for products and/or hounds advertised, nor endorse all views and statements of the advertisers or writers.

The American Beagler reserves the right to refuse any advertising or articles it may find to be inappropriate."

The first paragraph is fairly self-explanatory.

The second paragraph: Just as one might personally feel that an advertiser's stud or product is not what it's cracked up to be, doesn't mean that it's necessarily inappropriate. Who's to be the judge of that? If it contains explicit or vulgar material, I can elect not to print it, but if it doesn't.....? For example, John Doe may call me and state that he feels like a certain brand of shock collar is junk and the company doesn't stand behind the product. Should I yank the ad? Jane Doe writes in and complains that So-N-So's stud dog is a back-trackin' fool and shouldn't be advertised for stud. You get the drift.

One thing to remember, right along with dog advertisers' ads has been printed article after article, discussion after discussion about buying dogs sight unseen, and the fact that beaglers can't even agree on footspeed and line control, and cold noses, and a million other things that can't be described on the phone, in print, or by word of mouth.

Fact is, the information is out there and a person who buys a dog, or a car, or anything else sight unseen has the burden of responsibility when it isn't what they expected. If you buy a car, and the dealer won't make good on a promise, do you threaten the trade paper that carried their ad? I would hope not - I would hope you take it up with the dealer.

This is the first and last post I'm going to make on my position of "Drop his ad, or I'm dropping your magazine". I've never succumbed to the tyranny of threats and I'm not about to start now. Frankly, I'm surprised you would judge me and hold me accountable for someone else's actions.
[/b]

trackman

Don't blame a Magazine for the actions of its advertisers

Post by trackman »

Bowhunter 59---I can understand how you feel being in a similar position BUT I do not feel it is fair to hold Bev or her magazine in any way shape or form responsible. Merle is an advertiser in the magazine, yep that is true, but that is all he is, you do not see a big gold star by his ad that says Recommended by Bev, it is just that an ad, bought and paid for by Merle, not given for free. It is business that is all, and you can't blame a person for that. Bev has gone above and beyond the call of duty to try to make this right for me, she has been in constant contact by email and phone with me, trying to do all she can to make what happened right, she did not have to do that. I feel certain had it been any other magazine that I tried to contact the editor for and ask for help in a situation like this, they would not even have bothered to respond to me much less chase after someone and ask questions. Just so you know, Bev is one of the people who suggested I put a topic on this board looking for information. She is by no way or means defending Merles actions. I do not for one minute expect her to pull his ad because of what happened to you OR me or that matter, that is part of her business and business is just that business. This is not a personal matter for her, it may be personal for you, it may be personal for me, but not for her. I am sure that for each of us that has a complaint about Merle, we could probably find 10 people that would say he is the greatest guy on earth, it is all a matter of opinion and we can't hold a publisher of a magazine that this person advertises in responsible, IT IS JUST NOT FAIR. You can't complain about someone else being unfair and then be unfair yourself to someone else, because of it. I suscribe to her magazine and I think it is great and I am not for one minute going to cut off my nose to spite my face just cause Merles ad is in it. I spoke to Merle, I decided to buy the dog, I decided to trust the man, those things are all my doing, not Bev's, we all should take responsibility for our own actions and not lay them on the doorstep of another person. Lets face it Bev is the editor of this board also, if she wanted too she could pull every post either of us had ever made right off this board, and you did not see her do that did you? That should tell you something right there. If you end up in jail Bowhunter let me know, I will bail ya out :P

DG TX

Post by DG TX »

A problem like this is comparable to crooked judging. The individual has to step up and address this WITH THE REGISTRIES. And not until this happens, will it stop. And then we will see if the registries are worth thier salt or, if they will just look the other way. From what I have read in the ads, AKC has already done this...

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

Bev, I agree but I have to take up for my friend. I don't think he meant that as a threat in any way. He is just upset. Bowhunter59 is a very trusting person as well he should be. He is a preacher. lol He has told me that the only reason he did this is because he though he was dealing with a honest guy. He may be and it may be just coincidence. I think he has learned his lesson and we have talked about in detail since he posted that last night. I know I say things when I am upset as well we all do. Heck, this man turned me to TAB and I thank him for that. It is a great mag that I look forward to getting every month. I don't get much joy this time of year ( hot, 100 degrees, no hunting, flies, ticks, well, you get the picture. LOL ) but waiting on TAB to get there is something I do enjoy when its hot. Mr. Crain has just as much right as anyone to put an ad in TAB as anyone. Maybe these three or four occassions that I know of are just incidents or maybe not. I don't know but I will totally agree that you should see any dog run that is advertised that way. Heck, I could tell someone that a dog runs, that actually runs and that dog not be worth 2 cents away from my pens. Dogs are like that sometimes but that don't make me a bad breeder.
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643

wingpatch

RIGHT & RIGHT

Post by wingpatch »

As far as i am concerened, If the facts are right on this matter And anyone condons crain's dealings they are no better than he.
You can not tell me that by now merl crain has'nt heard of these complaints that are all over the boards.
Well i did see someone said he does'nt have a computer ?
Sounds to me like maybe he does'nt have much of a phone eather.
Just what i think dont mean sqwate,
I just wonder how many more people have to get S*****d Took before everone changes there mind
Right is right and everone needs to decide for them selfs.
Wingpatch
Last edited by wingpatch on Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

bowhunter59

fxg

Post by bowhunter59 »

sry bev !i was really upset last nite it is sad that alll folks arent honest folk so u could just take their word truthfully it wasnt my idea on the not renew idea a friend who was upset with me said if she backs him up then we should leave in my mad state of mind that sounded like a good idea aqt the time after reading ur post and the others i realise i should take the time toapoagise to u and others that read it very sry!but could u put that article above his add that says ur not responsible if satements r not true lol!!!!!!!!!!AND I DO ENJOY THE MAG even if i have to wait till the next month to get it .but i will continue to spreAD THE WORD AGAINST MERLE WITH A FEVERISH PACE ON EVeRYBOARD IMAGINABLE!
god is so good!

Ezekial 25

Post by Ezekial 25 »

:blackeye:

MikeSmithWV

Post by MikeSmithWV »

Romans 12:19-21

MasonsBeagles

Commend

Post by MasonsBeagles »

First off I would say over 1200 views and growing Id say the computer age is something most didnt count on. It would be hard to sell a dog I would think. It is a shame that Merle doesnt have a computer, maybe somebody should tell him to invest in one. I would be curious to hear his explanations. You know I heard Joe West on one of the post telling everyone that he would get on here and other boards and slander them and their dogs. This I think would be a shame and we should watch how far we go with opinions. Truthfully I dont really know anyone on here but have seen enough to make up my mind considering more than one person has been burned it seems to be a trend. I would be curious as to anyone that has bought a dog off of him that was extremely happy to post. There doesnt seem to be anyone really going to his defense.

As far as Bev, I commend her. She worked on this and at least received an answer. She did so hoping that someone she knows and I assume considers a friend was doing the right thing. So for that I probably would have done the same thing.

Note: She didnt have to do it, she could have just sat back and watched it unfold. I think as far as the Magazine posting an ad. Business is Business. End of story. I wouldnt hold anyone accountable. If you read most of the stud ads they promise to take your bloodlines to the next level. Usually only one in the winners circle so most of the ads are what they are.

Richard

Post by Richard »

I suggest you fellows that are upset with Mr. Crain, write an article or letter to the editor of TAB or Rabbit Hunter about your concerns. This would surely get his attention. :lol: :shock:

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Richard, if you have read my post on here you will see that I bought two dogs from Merle. While the one I paid big money for turned out to be nothing like I was told, the other one was as I was told. She did not totally suit me, but, no one can guarantee that. No hard feelings on that one. A friend of mine has her now.

What gets you is when you are told in detail exactly all about a dog from many conversations and you take it out many times and you find out it is worthless.

That is salesmanship at its best.

I guess I went crazy last winter. I also bought a dog from wvrabbithunter (a total stranger to me) sight unseen, and just from a phone call bought the dog, and had it shipped down. I think what got me was his name "SPEEDY". It was exactly as he said it would be after a few outings to adjust to our no snow conditions.

I will, and want to, go to my grave thinking you can trust, by far, the great majority of people!

bowhunter59

gxh,

Post by bowhunter59 »

u got that right john i want to and forget sometimes there r crooks out there then when i get crooked i get upset but i have learned so never do business with merle crain at all in any way!!!!!!!!!!!
god is so good!

Robert W. Mccoy Jr

Post by Robert W. Mccoy Jr »

A Man is only as good as his word......

I agree John I trust people untill they give me a reason not to.

I think most trust worthy people are like that.

DarrinG

Post by DarrinG »

There is only about 3 folks I would buy a dog from without seeing it run. (meaning taking their word for the dog's performance). And these are close friends who I KNOW-know their dogs and what good dogs are and we see them closely alike. Not that I dont trust anyone else, but most folks see dogs differently....they might not see a dog (in it's performance) as I would.

Buying a dog without seeing it run first-hand is a risk, anyway you look at it, unless your buying from a close friend like I described above.
+++
He's coming....are you ready?