Merle Crain Information on Dog sold to Mike Cron Needed

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

trackman

Merle Crain Information on Dog sold to Mike Cron Needed

Post by trackman »

Purchased dog on 06-11-03 from Merle Crain, dog came from Leclede Illinois area, he said south of him so I am assuming it was not one of his dogs, not sure though. He was supposed to mail papers never did. I have been calling him over and over since them, leaving messages---NO REPLY. Bought this dog as a Bramlett bred male for breeding purposes if he was a good enough dog. Anyone out there with info on this dog please drop me a line, anyone out there who may see or speak to Merle, please just tell him to call me and tell me one way or the other are there any papers or not. There is no sense in beating around the bush on this. At this point it all I want is an honest answer. Yes or No. Merle has my number, I have his there should not be a problem as far as communication goes. Merle gave me his word this dog has papers and was Bramlett bred, now instead of his word all I have are NO WORDS at all............WHERE ARE YOU MERLE :?: if you are interested in the dog or think you may be a former owner or know the former owner there is a picture of him on the searching for information forum.
Thanks!!
Mike

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Mike, not trying to discourage you, but, I bought two and never got the papers either. I registered then with ARHA-NKC.

I bought one that was supposed to be a LP field trial dog of the highest quality that could win. The evaluation of this dog was from someone that has won the World and should know what it takes, so, I TRUSTED HIM. She would run for a short distance and come back out of the race. I gave her a way.

Merle always answered his phone quickly and called me often before I bought them, but could never get up with him after I bought them.

Costly lesson learned!!
Last edited by Alabama John on Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

wingpatch

????

Post by wingpatch »

Fellers There is a very easy way to stop this kind of thing.
The internet is mighty big??
Now i personly dont know Mr. Crain and i learned a long time ago there are two sides to everthing.
If you have never got took on a dog deal you aint been at it very long. And good dogs just dont grow on trees There not out there in bags full.
When you buy a dog go see it run for your self & if it suits you buy it and take the dog & papers home with you. There are a lot of honest people , But it just takes One dishonest dog jockey????

MasonsBeagles

Good dog or not

Post by MasonsBeagles »

Well good dog or not is in the eyes of the beholder, but if a man sells a dog as an AKC dog then papers should be forthcoming. If not then everyone should know that.

If him not returning calls after the deal has been made then that doesnt say much. Most of the reputable dog traders I know make their money from returned business or word of mouth. Good luck.

Post with the outcome. Because I will surely never buy or have a dog transported from him if that is the way he does business. Furthermore I will tell all of my fellow beaglers likewise. THE COMPUTER AGE IS UPON US, THE WORLD HAS GOTTEN ALOT SMALLER. SO TO ALL THE DOG JOCKEYS CON ARTISTS WHAT HAVE YOU GET IT WHILE YOU CAN BECAUSE IT WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU> YOULL BE HARD TO SELL A DOG IF YOUR WORD OR BUSINESS PRACTICES ARE NOT HONORABLE>

GOod luck.

MasonsBeagles

Post by MasonsBeagles »

HEy see ya took my advice. I would also post on ARHA board.

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

keep us updated mike--im always in the market for a good dog to outcross with and would hate to be burned.

trackman

Two sides to everthing.

Post by trackman »

wingpatch, Yep you are right there are 2 sides to everything, Merle can come here and post his side I am actually hoping he does. If this is what it takes to get him to respond to my MANY phone calls and unreturned messages I would be happy. I realize people get burned once in while no matter what it is they are doing, including the purchase of dogs. I just DID not think for one minute I could get burned by a man who has 20 years in this business. I would not be willing to risk a 20 year business reputation for the price I paid for this dog, so I had no reason to think he would. Would any reasonable man you know do it? I think not. As far as being a "bad" dog goes, this is not a bad dog, he just does not have the papers that I was promised would come with him. I don't want to down talk Merle or make a bad name for him, I just want either papers, or an explanation normally I do go see a dog run and pick the papers up myself.He was hauling a dog from me to someone else so. With his 20 years of experience, his good reputation, that I was personally made aware of by people I trusted and after speaking to him at length on the phone, I thought I could trust him. I think anyone else in this situation would probabl;y have done the same thing. You are right this does not have to happen to anyone and should not. So from now on when it does happen to me I will make other people aware of it, so that the next person doesn't have to go through the same thing. I will tell you this much, if I get a phone call from the man, papers from him etc. if he makes this wrong right, I will be the first person to put it right here on this same board that I WAS WRONG and he is a good guy. Until that happens I will however keep going the same way I am now.

trackman

Re: POST

Post by trackman »

MasonsBeagles wrote:HEy see ya took my advice. I would also post on ARHA board.
I think you are right, thanks for the hints----I am on my way there in a bit to do exactly as you suggest...... :cool:

trackman

Post by trackman »

blackdirt beagles wrote:keep us updated mike--im always in the market for a good dog to outcross with and would hate to be burned.
Brian, There is no doubt the outcome of this situation will be on here. I am not about to let a bad apple make the rest look rotten too.

trackman

Post by trackman »

Alabama John wrote: Merle always answered his phone quickly and called me often before I bought them, but could never get up with him after I bought them.
Costly lesson learned!!
At least I know I am not the only one. Hopefully I will be the last.......... :twisted:

trackman

Latest on Merle Crain

Post by trackman »

Here is the lastest guys just like I said, if Merle comes through I will be the first to admit it.

Left on the searching for information board by Bev:

Mike, I talked to Merle a few minutes ago, he said the dog is not AKC registered and he was under the impression that you understood, but that the dog is from AKC stock as he told you. He can get you the pedigree so you'll know what you have. (One of the parent's owners never registered his hound.) He has half the pedigree for you and is waiting on the other half.

This may only be half of what I want but half is better than none!
Great job BEV!!! :cool:

wingpatch

?????

Post by wingpatch »

Trackman, It is like i said in my first post[ There is always two stories to ever side] But it always seem funny to me who comes out on top.
I hope you have learned a big lesson it could of been worse.
Your misunderstanding will probley save someone else a lot of Grief.
Good luck,, Friend in sport.....Wingpatch

DG TX

Post by DG TX »

Where do you think Caller ID played into this "shell game"?? Hope our editor is watching... :shock:

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

To clarify, The two dogs I bought I knew were not AKC registered. They were supposed to be ARHA registered and all Craine bred so I really wanted the pedigree that showed the dogs in their lineage several generations back.

Lesson: do not ever buy off the tailgate. What you are really buying then is the story presented to you, the dog is just thrown in.

At my age, I knew better and my friends sons, and spouse ribbed me for a while every time I turned that trial go getter loose. They would not let me get rid of it as they had too much fun watching it and rolling their eyes at me every time it quit the race after 100 yards and came back as they knew what I had paid for it and it was a lot !

wingpatch

?????

Post by wingpatch »

To the defence of a dog jockey.???

There are two kinds of dog jockeys , The good ones [ pros] They eather got a photographic memory or they write everthing down so they dont forget the line of bull that goes with which dog.

Then you got what i like to call um the bubbas, Not only do they play dumb they really are. They think that everone is as dumb as they are & when you get a dog from them you wont know the difference.

So when you deside to deal with a dog jockey pick your own poison
they will both get the job done...

Wingpatch