help snake bite

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rlsbeagles

help snake bite

Post by rlsbeagles »

what do you give dog for snake bite most likely copper head... seem's to be bit on belly swallon alot...

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

I have no personal experience but, this is a good site. Most of the websites say benedryl.

http://www.raidthewind.com/snakebite.htm

good luck,

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

mo. beagler

Post by mo. beagler »

yeah benadryl...keep him up for a couple days. plenty of water. If it was a copperhead he should be ok tomorrow.if it was a rattler ....This post is to late..I have been through it 1/2 dozen times. never lost one yet
G
GOD FAMILY COUNTRY

mo. beagler

Post by mo. beagler »

This was two days ago. They are thick at my house. killed his brother in the drive two days before that..
GOD FAMILY COUNTRY

rlsbeagles

Post by rlsbeagles »

thank you all ,,,, it's been a few hour's now an i finnally got hold of my vet so he'll be going to see the doc now,,,,, this is the second time in a year for this dog... guess i better keep some snake med on hand... again thank you all for the help....

mo. beagler

Post by mo. beagler »

what is snake med? I am not sure what the vet will do exept give you a big sun. bill. Good luck
GOD FAMILY COUNTRY

windsplitters

Snake bite

Post by windsplitters »

looks like a copperhead but its tail looks pointed I thought a copperhead has a blunt tail some water snakes look like copperheads but if he is swelling bad it was probally a copperhead Lynn posted on here a couple days ago what to do with a snake bite its what all the oldtimers around here always told me to do also.

gap

Post by gap »

I gave my dog pennecilyn when he was snakebitten.

elemerfud

Post by elemerfud »

I have always been told the benedryl thing. Been told it really works. Good luck with it.
When the tail gate drops, The B.S. STOPS!

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

a vet told me to never give them benafryl for a swnake bite!! i usually dont do anything but a shot of pennacyllin i use to pour turpitine n give them the benadryl but now just the pennacyllin jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

mo. beagler

Re: Snake bite

Post by mo. beagler »

[quote="windsplitters"]looks like a copperhead but its tail looks pointed I thought a copperhead has a blunt tail some water snakes look like copperheads .

ITS a coperhead. I have never seen a water snake that looked like a coperhead..
GOD FAMILY COUNTRY

gus

Post by gus »

See linc http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/re ... erhead.htm

Looks like a copperhead to me.

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

That pic is a copperhead. I've had 1 dog bitten and I gave Benadryll and Penicillin, although some give Dex. Ronnie - make sure you take the collar off, the dog can die of asphixiation if its neck swells.
Playboy Kennels - Got rabbit? ~ (703) 989-4079 ~ PlayboyKennels@gmail.com

Home of FC OTIS' BIG JOHN

Past home of FC DEATON'S BO & FC DEVIL'S HOLE HONEY BEE

windsplitters

snake bite

Post by windsplitters »

I never ment that it was'nt a copperhead i was just trying to say their are other snakes that resemble copperheads sometimes they get confussed for one. The picture you got I believe is a copperhead the Milksnake and Northern brown Water snake I think are the two I was talking about. eather way hope the dog gets over it with no problems.

rlsbeagles

Post by rlsbeagles »

took dog to vet last night got 2 shot's an dog is doing great today,,,, again thank's to all...