Checks?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jonnyringo

Checks?

Post by jonnyringo »

I read a reply to a post in another thread topic (field trailing) about a long 15 second check. What is that?
And, how long do the dogs have to be running without barking or have their running flow disturbed before one would consider it a check?
And, what is considered to be an acceptable check time during average scenting conditions?

I ask this to the hunter first then to the field trialer second.
Just curious.

ringo
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."

eddywilliams

check

Post by eddywilliams »

ringo ,ukc rules are ,once a dog or dogs have barked 3 times you have to strike them on or before the third bark then if they stop barking for a short period of time you give them 1 minute then you call they are in a check ,the 1st dog to bark with the track within 3 total minutes gets awarded 20 plus points after all dogs struck in recieve 20 minus for goin into check .The 15 sec check is in arha field trials i believe ,hope this helps some ,fasteddy

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

eddy,

I personally do not consider 15 seconds to be a check. If ARHA rules says 15 seconds is a check then I feel that is ridiculous.
JMHO

eddywilliams

ringo

Post by eddywilliams »

i agree i believe this is the way they are maybe we will get some arha fellas to help us out with this ,eddy
Last edited by eddywilliams on Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danny vansickle

Post by danny vansickle »

in arha lp,when a dog harks in it has 3 minutes to produce a rabbit or establish a line,after the rabbit is produced and a line is established when the dogs loose the track and forward progress has stopped the judge counts 15 seconds,after 15 seconds,the dog that claims the line and moves the pack by making forward progress is awarded 25 points,this is a check.it is not based on barking cause some dogs bark while in the check area,it is based on forward progress,the dog has to make foward progress to get the check.

ed,the best advice i can give ya is to go to the arha websight and read the rules.
DVS ink Kustom Tattoos and Body Piercings
"SOUTHERN OHIO'S ONLY ONE STOP TATTOOS AND PIERCINGS HEAD SHOP "
740-285-1911
FC HOWARDS BANDIT

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

danny,

Not really interested in the ARHA rules. As my questions was asked...what is the hunter's perspective first, then the field trialer. I don't consider 15 seconds a check. Seems a little quick in my book. When a rabbit makes a 90 degree turn the dogs may overrun a bit and it may take 25 seconds to get back on track. If a rabbit backtracks or jumps over a big log, swims over some water, pulls some fancy footwork, etc. this will produce a check in my book.

BrewerMo

Post by BrewerMo »

As a hunter, Any time the dogs stop forward progress on a track I consider it a check. :thumbsup:

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

Another interesting tidbit. If the dogs have 3 minutes to produce the rabbit after they hark in how many 15 second checks are awarded in the 3 minute period? ;)

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

No checks are awarded until the rabbit is produced.

you only have 3 minutes from when the 1st dog strikes in to produce the rabbit, if non produce then the dog struck gets a minus.

I know in another registry where it is common to go 5-8 minutes witout a minus.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

JovanJ

Post by JovanJ »

Just a whole bunch of confusion LOL :lol:

Jane

Post by Jane »

What's this Math Class ?! LOL !! You figure it out that one. :check: johnyringo
I figure if the hounds over run the line, and have to come back to the line to claim it... is a check. I don't know too much about the "rules" of different formats. If they have to stop a forward motion to come back to figure it out, that's it :check: whether it's 15 seconds or 15 minutes. I run LP on Hare. Not me.... the hounds do..... :lol: :lol:
Over running up here is a minus that you can get thrown out for if you offend BUT some of these hounds are so fast that it can be common because of speed and competitiveness... it's pretty darn hard to put the brakes on sometimes at those speeds ! JMO (you hope to get an understanding judge that will bend a bit) but some just don't.
Last edited by Jane on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John-PA

Post by John-PA »

I consider a check any loss of forward progress on the track. I don't care if it's 1 second or 10 minutes, if the dogs stop moving forward on the track they are in a check.

jonnyringo

Post by jonnyringo »

John-PA wrote:I consider a check any loss of forward progress on the track. I don't care if it's 1 second or 10 minutes, if the dogs stop moving forward on the track they are in a check.
I hope your dogs have good lungs and can get a lot of barks in. LOL
One second for God's sake. :D

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

JohnnyRingo, i see you have your own opinion on this, so how long of o loss do you consider a check?

The rest of us need to know so we can agree with you and be right.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

Matt Glomski

Post by Matt Glomski »

If the pack is having 15 second checks regularly I start getting MAD!!!!!!

A 15 second breakdown is a major screw up in my book. I dont like breakdowns of any kind. And I would think every gun hunter would hate a breakdown.
BAOTB
WORLDPCH, GRRCH, GRPCH, LPRCH Glomskis Thunder Run J-Dell
LPRCH, FCGD Glomskis Big Time
GRPCH, HBCH Glomskis Little Skipper
LPGRRCH GLOMSKIS CRIMSON FLAME