Beagle Question

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beagletrainer

Beagle Question

Post by beagletrainer »

I just got this 5 year old male and he hunts good and runs a real good rabbit the problem is he will stay at the hole or wont leave the loss i`ve tryed shocking him and he still does it till the other dogs open on another rabbit then he`ll leave and join them. Any suggestions will help i`ve tryed every thing from shocking to going getting him and he`ll just go back.
Brenda Davis

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Does he know to come to you when shocked under normal field conditions ( not holed) ?

If so SHOCK him harder :!:

Buddy
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

beagletrainer

Beagle Question

Post by beagletrainer »

He does come to me when not working a rabbit to the shock collar but when he is he`ll take every thing the shock collar has and wont leave i have to go get him and leash him and drag him out of the field.
Brenda Davis

green river

Post by green river »

You may not like what he's doing but he sounds like he has a lot of hunt in him. I personally don't like a dog staying at the hole. I hope you can break him of this.

John Taylor

Post by John Taylor »

beagletrainer

Sounds like a nice dog that is determined to account for his game. When I was growing up a dog like that was valuable. Money was short and I remember going hunting with just one or two shotgun shells and coming back with 3 or four rabbits sometimes. The dogs we had at the time accounted for most rabbits they ran. I remember taking many rabbits out of holes in trees or in the ground. They just wouldn't give up unless we got the rabbit. I know it's a pain when you are just joy running, but dogs with that determination don't come every day.

Good luck to you with your dogs.

John

beagletrainer

Post by beagletrainer »

Thanks John for reminding me of the good times im going to give him a chance and work with him some more this summer hopefully he`ll start to come to the collar when called. Its just a pain in the $$s haveing to go get him every time out when my other dogs all come in when called.
Brenda Davis