word

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

clousewt

word

Post by clousewt »

Does anyone keep their word anymore. If you sell something to someone and make a verbal agreement that if they get rid of it you get first chance to buy it back, how many of you would honor that agreement? I did with 2 dogs I had, I was getting out of beagles and called both guys before I even had anybody interested in them. One guy asked me to give one to a guy he goes to church with, I did, the second guy didnt want the dog back and told me to do whatever I wanted with her because she was mine. Both guys thanked me for honoring our agreement. I guess times are changing and people just dont care anymore, its all about the $$$.
IN GOD WE TRUST!!! Patch Power

CHRIS WHITT

Post by CHRIS WHITT »

A couple years ago I was working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week and was not putting anytime into my dogs.One morning I get a call from my uncle asking me if I had any beagles I would sell him ,@ the time I only had two and told him that I felt bad for leaving them kenneled up all the time so he could just have them BUTIf he decided to get rid of them I wanted them back I had quiet a bit of money in these dogs.A month or so later I changed jobs and could once again return to running dogs so I called him to see If I could take them out and run them and he informed me he had traded them to a 4 - wheeler for his grandson...My good nature cost me two very nice hounds.(family will screw ya quicker than anyone!!)
LP beagler from Kentucky

clousewt

pups

Post by clousewt »

I had a ARHA registered female that I named Clouse's Fly Baby Fly. She was the fastest dog I have ever owned. When conditions were right she would run head up and hauling A$$. An older fella I ran with had his older female die under an old house, she got hung up and died trying to get loose. I felt bad because he didnt have anything that was close to his old female. I brought Fly to him and told him to run her as long as he wanted to and to give her back if he ever got rid of her. I called him one evening to see if he wanted to run the next morning and he told me he didnt have any dogs to run. He had given Fly to some "good ole boys" down the road from him. He said she really finished their pack into a complete rabbit package. I asked him why he didnt give her back to me since I had only given him the dog to help him out. He said he didnt think I wanted her back and it wasnt that big of a deal. I lost a good dog trying to help someone, never again!!!!

AMANDA & RUSTY LYONS

Post by AMANDA & RUSTY LYONS »

WE HAD A DOG THAT WE SOLD AND WE HAD A AGREEMENT THAT IF HE DID NOT WANT THE DOG ANYMORE WE WOULD HAVE FIRST OPTION TO BUY HIM BACK, THE DOG HAD BEEN UP IN THE KENNEL FOR SEVERAL MONTHS AND WE FELT IT WAS BEST TO SELL HIM TO THIS GUY WHO WOULD TRIAL HIM AND TAKE GOOD CARE OF HIM. WE INFORMED HIM THAT WE WAS NOT GOING TO TRIAL THAT MUCH ANYMORE, BUT IF FOR ANY REASON HE WANTED TO GET RID OF HIM HE WAS TO COME BACK TO US. HE SOLD THE DOG TO SOMEONE ELSE AND DIDN'T EVEN OFFER HIM BACK TO US, WE HAD CONTACTED HIM OVER ANOTHER MATTER AND THEN FOUND OUT HE HAD SOLD HIM. WE ASKED HOW COME HE DIDN'T CONTACT US FIRST AND HE SAID IT WAS BECAUSE WE WERE GETTING OUT OF DOGS SO HE SOLD HIM, BUT HE KNEW THE DOG WAS MORE THEN JUST A TRIAL DOG HE WAS A FAMILY PET, BUT JUST LIKE YOU SAID IT IS ALL ABOUT MONEY AND YOU CAN'T TRUST ANYONE ANYMORE IN THIS WORLD.

Jane

Post by Jane »

clousewt, there is nothing wrong with having a big heart and an honorable nature. As hard as it is to swollow sometimes, we all have to take it, either dogs or just life in general. Something good happens to those that do good to others, it comes back at some point and time.

clousewt

right

Post by clousewt »

I know you are right about that, I try to help everyone until they take advantage. I just find it hard to get around when someone you trust does you dirty.

Jane

Post by Jane »

Been there many, many times my friend.
Hubby just left me 2 months ago that I was with 24 years, trusted him to the ends of the earth then betrayed......
Believe it or not, I'm making more money now than I ever did, have a bit more free time for my hounds and moving to the country, bought some land with woods. Sorry to say, good things do come out of a bad situation. I never thought I would be happy again, I thought wrong.
And the only thing that kept me smiling through all of this, was taking the hounds out for a run in the early mornings. Everytime they get a start... I grin from ear to ear.
I've done good things for alot of people all my life, and was hurt many times. But I don't think about that, I just move on. Life's too short to be soured by people like that who hurt you.
Just know you are a very good person and you deserved to be treated better than you were. Someone out there is going to do you better, believe me.

Tim H

Post by Tim H »

If I had ever thought of making a deal on a dog where I would want it back if they changed their mind or decided to sell it later, I wouldn't let the dog go in the first place.

If I give it as a gift then it is theirs, if I sell it then they own it. Giving or selling things with strings attached is not a good idea. The strings almost always get severed by one side or the other.

Look at this from the other side. If someone told me, I'll let you have this dog if you promise to give me the first right to get it back if you decide to get rid of it. Then I would tell them that is fine as long as you guarantee me you will take the dog when I decide to get rid of it. :shock:

It's not right to make a one sided deal. You take all the responsibility for this dog. Feed it, take it to the vet, clean up after it, run it but you never really own it cause if someone comes to you and offers to buy it, you can't sell it.

I don't condone anyone breaking their word nor would I do that , but I just think it is better to make cleaner deals to avoid hurt feelings and broken relationships. :oops:

clousewt

Tim

Post by clousewt »

Tim, here is the heart of what I meant by wanting it back if they were to ever get rid of it. First and foremost, the deal was made to a friend that needed and wanted a good dog. So you sell or lend them the dog. Its not transferable because you dont want a stranger to have that dog, just your hunting buddy. Thats what it all boils down to.

AMANDA & RUSTY LYONS

I AGREE, WHEN YOU SELL A DOG YOU WANT THE BEST FOR THAT DOG. YOU DON'T WANT SOME STRANGER BUYING THAT DOG THAT YOU DON'T KNOW IF THE DOG ID GETTING FED OR IF HE IS GETTING BEAT. SO WITH TRUST YOU SELL IT TO SOMEONE YOU THINK IS GOING TO TAKE CARE OF IT, BUT WANT IT BACK IF THEY DECIDE TO SELL IT.

clousewt

thread

Post by clousewt »

I am ending this thread with this . Dont look at people to do what you would do. Dog trading is a business, business and friends dont jive.
Last edited by clousewt on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack

Post by Jack »

When I hand you the lead on a dog, that is your dog.

AMANDA & RUSTY LYONS

WHEN I SELL/GIVE A DOG AWAY YOU ARE RIGHT THEY OWN THAT DOG, BUT WHEN A MAN GIVES YOU HIS WORD THAT SHOULD BE AS GOOD AS GOLD, BUT IN THIS DAY AND TIME IT IS ALL ABOUT MONEY AND NOT ANYONE'S WORD. THE POINT OF SELLING THE DOG WAS THAT WE HAD FIRST OPTION TO BUT THE DOG BACK, THE MONEY WAS NOT DISCUSSED ON HOW MUCH TO BUY HIM BACK FOR WE WERE JUST SUPPOSED TO HAVE FIRST OPTION TO BUT HIM BACK. WE DIDN'T ASK HIM TO TAKE CARE OF HIM AND RUN HIM FOR FREE. THE DOG WAS HIS. WE WERE JUST SUPPOSED TO HAVE FIRST OPTION TO BUY HIM BACK IF HE EVER WANTED TO SELL HIM. IF A MAN IS NOT AS GOOD AS HIS WORD, WHAT KIND OF MAN IS HE?

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Why did he sell him anyway amanda?
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

AMANDA & RUSTY LYONS

IT WAS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY, HE MADE 1K ON HIM SO I GUESS HE THOUGHT HE WOULD SELL HIM.