Tails

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

coolbrze

Tails

Post by coolbrze »

2 of my dogs tails are having the hair on the tip of their tails being worn off literally. Any suggestions as to what to do about it other than banding or putting them up. I had it happen to a dog last year (and again now) and had to put him up. Here's a pic of his tail after last season, I tried taping it w/ duct tape and Gorilla tape but he hunts so hard the tape always came off. Funny, the 2 that have the problem now hunt HARD, but also seem so be BIG waggers...

Playboy Kennels - Got rabbit? ~ (703) 989-4079 ~ PlayboyKennels@gmail.com

Home of FC OTIS' BIG JOHN

Past home of FC DEATON'S BO & FC DEVIL'S HOLE HONEY BEE

Steve Mikkelson

Post by Steve Mikkelson »

Last edited by Steve Mikkelson on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cut'em loose

NLPC & IFC Riley's Rolling Trails

fulcount

Tails

Post by fulcount »

I agree with Steve we have used that method on a few too
and it works great
John o

TnHoss

Post by TnHoss »

Steve, try bag balm in the square green can after each hunt. It works for me.
Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces

BBOARDING3

Post by BBOARDING3 »

Steve, Is it Tick again? Hows the season going?
---ROCKSTAR BEAGLES----
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.

Chris Shoopman

Post by Chris Shoopman »

i had too dogs with tails like this back in the spring they got so bad they would sit down in a check and chew at there tail, so i took them to the vet and had bout 4 ins cut off, cost me 25 bucks for each dog

kentucky johnson

Post by kentucky johnson »

i put a rubberband on my pups tail after they start, nvr had any problems with their tails, take off about 2-3 inches

ringtail

Post by ringtail »

im with all the others put a casteration band about an inch above the bone there you will never have another problem with it,,,but just a little advice when you put the band one pull the skin up toward his butt before you put the band on this will give extra skin to cover end of tail when it falls off,,,,,,,,
OUR SPORT IS MADE UP OF NEW HUNTERS,,,SO PLEASE TAKE A CHILD HUNTING!

J-N-M'S HIGHBRIER BLU RUKUS

cuttinedge

Post by cuttinedge »

I'd go ahead and put the castration bands on them. Pull the hair back and skin like ringtail suggested and find where the bone is jointed at apply band in joint area. You can run'em with the bands on, tails will fall off in a few days or weeks ( I have one that fell off in a couple days and another took a couple weeks) My vet actually helped me band one of mines tail :)
The bands are real cheap and you can make a banding tool with a piece of 1\2 OR 3\4 inch pvc and a small piece of dowel rod ..beats spending $25.00 on a tool from TSC

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

I'd rather not band it or lay them up, if there's another good solution, hence the comment in the original post.

Brad - yes it's Tick and Dime, both of their tails are shot right now, that pick was Ticks tail last Feb. but it's looking about the same now. The seasons going real well, have had some GREAT runs, got a lot of upcoming pups that are doing real well.

cuttinedge

Post by cuttinedge »

I had to band 2 of mine and have no regrets whatsoever. Wish I had done it sooner

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

I may be banding one this week :cry:

Jane

Post by Jane »

My Branko male's tail won't grow the hair back now, I'm taking it all the way back. I am getting tired of the poor fellow bleeding in the woods everytime it gets healed up. It's the swing he has. It was okay this summer because of the foliage as a buffer but last winter he was anemic, it's not worth it for him to be sick. The band worked fine the last 3 times I did it, so vanity is out and health is in !